1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Questions about revolvers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CK30, Aug 13, 2016.

1. CK30

CK30

I've never really been into revolvers, I'm a semi auto kind of guy. Recently, the wife has expressed interest in a specific revolver (Chiappa Rhino). My question is... Are revolvers under the same scrutiny as semi autos in regard to Mass compliance and double secret probation lists? Or can I just go find what I want and have it shipped to one of my local ffls?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  2. iofneedle

iofneedle NES Member

F*** the lists. Find what you what and do a FTF. Find what you what and ask your FFL if he/she will transfer.

done

BTW...what is she looking for?

2 people like this.
  3. Squib308

Squib308 NES Member

pretty much every S&W and ruger revolver is on the list. any FFL should either have in stock or be willing to transfer it. that being said, the EOPS list and AG super secret list has no bearing on buyers, just dealers.

if you're looking for all around solid revolver, my vote for Ruger GP100. pretty hard to beat. i sold my S&W 686+ in favor of the GP100 match champion and couldn't be happier with it.

4. iofneedle

iofneedle NES Member

I saw a used GP100 in 3 inch the other day...very nice...almost bought it.

5. rhombus

rhombus

I'll second that motion, but I'll add that if you're looking for a carry gun... the SP101 is much more manageable and still a great shooter, especially if you upgrade the grips.

6. oldguy68

oldguy68 NES Member

I had a Ruger GP100.
    If I had to get another 4" revolver I would get a S&W 686.
    Better trigger and much nicer finish.

The Ruger GP100 is a tank. But the trigger out of the box on a S&W 686 is nicer and as I said is finished with more care.

Now for a carry revolver.
    I own a Ruger 9mm LCR.
    It has a nice trigger and is light weight.
    It's very fast to reload with moon clips and ammo is way cheaper than either 38 special or 357 magnum.
    What gun owner doesn't have at least one 9mm pistol?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  7. Alex0311

Alex0311

There are companies that make revolvers that don't go through the Consumer "Protection" racket like Colt and Taurus. Hell, Freedom Arms actually explicitly says on their boxes "Not for Sale in Massachusetts." Like a previous poster said, Ruger and S&W have pretty much all of their guns MA Approved.

8. CK30

CK30

Lol, I assure I have no regard for said lists. She wants a Chiappa Rhino. She's channeling her inner Harley Quinn I think. With that being said, if lists weren't an issue it would make finding the one she decides on much easier for me.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  9. andrew1220

andrew1220 NES Member

Nothing a trigger job or Wolff springs won't fix.

10. kalash

kalash

I've wanted to try a Rhino - very intriguing gun.

11. spt_1955

spt_1955 NES Member

Is she looking for a carry gun? I shot a Ruger LCR9 and it was a sweet trigger. couldn't believe it was a RUger. Also very accurate for a small frame revolver. I owned a GP100 match Champion and while it is nice it's a beast of a gun. Almost as big as a S&W N-Frame.

12. CK30

CK30

From my limited initial research, they rule. But who knows. I do know that if she wants it, it behoovs me to procure it.

13. CK30

CK30

She carries a sig 938. I suspect it would be a safe queen for the next couple of years until we make a move to a free state in the West. At that point she may carry it, but open...

14. BobR51

BobR51

My wife likes her Ruger LCR 38special. Although I wish we waited for the 9 mm version. Cheaper on ammo.

15. sig shooter

sig shooter

I am a big fan of the SP101 and Smith 442. I tried the LCR in 9mm and didnt like the recoil impulse, I think one would be better served with the 38 special LCR. My current carry gun is the 442, it recoils much less than the LCR 9MM and is more controllable. If one wants to start training with a wheelgun, dont get a snub for a first revolver. A 686 or GP100 would be a much better choice.

16. durask

durask

Ahh, revolvers.
    My IMHO

From Mass compliant ones

For concealed carry - Ruger LCR 9mm - last time I checked, only the 9mm version has a white stripe on the front sight which makes it easier to aim. Tried many small revolvers and while I don't LIKE any of them, the LCR is the only one I do not hate. Well, I like Model 60 but as a range gun only, a few things about it that I do not like as a carry gun.

For target shooting - Model 929 .... love love love that one.

For home defence I think GP100 is great - not expensive and easy to shoot. If you want larger capatcity, Model 627 loads 8 rounds at a time.

Edit: I'd love to get Chiappa Rhino...almost ready to buy it in FL and leave it at my dad's place there so that I can shoot it when I go down there.

17. WArtC

WArtC

I like the S&W Airweight 638 in 38SPL. Bobbed hammer is nice; can still single-action but minimal snags when unholstering

18. SeanC77

SeanC77

I enjoy my .38 LCR. Never any problems with it. The factory grips, though comfortable, make drawing from a pocket difficult because of their "grippiness". I swapped mine out for the boot grip and can now pocket draw without a problem, I also reload .38 so that's cheaper. Does she want to shoot .357 or just .38? If just .38s then consider an older k-frame Smith as well. The Rhino looks interesting, but very expensive IIRC, then again most things are nowadays.

Sean

19. FrankNA

FrankNA NES Member

This statement makes it sound as though you feel it is now illegal to carry a semi-auto pistol - am I reading this correct?

20. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
    Go to gun store, with the wife.

Have her handle/dry fire many. See what fits her hand.

IMO, this is more important than a given brand/model.

Then, find someone with that, and have her shoot it, to make sure it works for her.

21. CK30

CK30

Poor wording on my part. She will continue to carry her 938 or one of my g26 if she feels like it. The Chiappa Rhino she wants is of the five to six inch barrel variety. So it will be the safe queen til we move west, where their open carry laws will allow her to carry said gigantic revolver on her hip.