• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Questions about getting gun license in lowell ma

Ok so long time listener first time caller.. I work as a transport agent for a medical marijuana grow and dispensary and I'm looking to get an unrestricted gun license for safety. I have a dui from 8 years ago, and a restraining order from 2 years ago in which expired after a year of no contact. (We broke up and she wouldn't give back some of my belongings so she made false claims against me. I showed up and told the judge I just wanted my belongings back and that he could give her a restraining for all I care because I have no desire to see or contact her again and that's what he did. Is that going to hinder me in any way? Also as far writing the essay letter , should I say that I move hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of weed and money every day or just state that I want it for all lawful purposes, to protect my myself and family and that I'm an avid camper and hike and go into desolate remote areas and would feel safer carrying in case something should arise? It's a lot I know but any help would be appreciated. Thanks

If you got a DUI in the state, you can't get an LTC. Sorry. Its an automatic denial. Also, you're working with a federally illegal substance, so you have that against you as well.

I would advise getting pepper spray, or some other alternate defensive tools.

If you got a DUI in the state, you can't get an LTC. Sorry. Its an automatic denial. Also, you're working with a federally illegal substance, so you have that against you as well.

I would advise getting pepper spray, or some other alternate defensive tools.
If the DUI was a CWOF in MA, you have a chance. If it was a "guilty" then you are a Federally Prohibited Person and can never touch a gun or ammo in this lifetime.

MGL requires that you be "eligible for a LTC" in order to possess chemical sprays, so if the above is a problem, the OP can't have that either.

Yup, if it's a MA DUI you're out. If it's not MA, then it depends.
You may want to check that RO, they don't all just expire, and even when they are supposed to it doesn't always get handled properly.
Working with a federally illegal substance, assuming you are not a user, would depend on the CoP, I think.

If the DUI was a CWOF in MA, you have a chance. If it was a "guilty" then you are a Federally Prohibited Person and can never touch a gun or ammo in this lifetime.

MGL requires that you be "eligible for a LTC" in order to possess chemical sprays, so if the above is a problem, the OP can't have that either.

Well f***. I thought after X amount of years it would show that I've learned my lesson and moved past it

What Amerry223 said above, a DUI conviction makes you a federally prohibited person, and even if it was not a conviction; DUI arrest, plus restraining order on your record, plus add weed to the equation, one way or another, that adds up to Unsuitable in the eyes of the chief, you should still call a firearms lawyer and hopefully he/she can tell you the options if any.

What Amerry223 said above, a DUI conviction makes you a federally prohibited person, and even if it was not a conviction; DUI arrest, plus restraining order on your record, plus add weed to the equation, one way or another, that adds up to Unsuitable in the eyes of the chief, you should still call a firearms lawyer and hopefully he/she can tell you the options if any.

Definitely not going to say I carry weed just that I'm a logistics manager and I already took the classes and my references are all cops and retired police chiefs so I'll give it a shot see what happens. Thanks

Definitely not going to say I carry weed just that I'm a logistics manager and I already took the classes and my references are all cops and retired police chiefs so I'll give it a shot see what happens. Thanks

At least check on the DUI first. That's not a judgement call of the local CoP, and once you get a denial you have to report that as well.

if the employer wants you to have an LTC to transport, you need a work LTC, not an unrestricted one.
if they haven't specifically asked you to get one...if you're robbed, hand it over; it's not like it's YOUR weed

Obv I dont care about the weed and would hand the keys to a robber and say take it. But it's just more money overall if you're carrying and also in other security fields as well to have an unrestricted Ltc

From what I gather as far as Lowell, I don’t think the mayor could get a class A unrestricted. Using and working with federally illegal substances may be two different things, if you don’t use it then a job is a job, lots of cash- high risk. The DUI and RO may permanently haunt you. If I had the money, I would be talking to lawyers about expungement process if an option. Reaching out to GOAL as well couldn’t hurt. After that, maybe a meeting with LEO chief, yourself and your boss.

Air pistol may be temporary option to give you some getaway time with a properly placed shot or two. Not sure how the state views black powder or antiques without LTC.

Ultimately, judged by 12 or carried by 6? Take your pick. Also be mindful of what you post so as to not set yourself up as a target. Best of luck.

From what I gather as far as Lowell, I don’t think the mayor could get a class A unrestricted. Using and working with federally illegal substances may be two different things, if you don’t use it then a job is a job, lots of cash- high risk. The DUI and RO may permanently haunt you. If I had the money, I would be talking to lawyers about expungement process if an option. Reaching out to GOAL as well couldn’t hurt. After that, maybe a meeting with LEO chief, yourself and your boss.

Air pistol may be temporary option to give you some getaway time with a properly placed shot or two. Not sure how the state views black powder or antiques without LTC.

Ultimately, judged by 12 or carried by 6? Take your pick. Also be mindful of what you post so as to not set yourself up as a target. Best of luck.

Don't use and I'll look into the expungement process. Thanks

With ANY high profile job....Situational awareness, training, driving habits or lack of driving and delivery habits,
simple things like if you are stopped behind a car in a traffic situation and you cant see the rear tires of the car in front of you, you cannot facilitate a driving getaway.( cant get around the car in front of you).
Air gun sounds like a very BAD idea. Find out about how you resolved the DUI and talk to an firearms attorney.

Ok so long time listener first time caller.. I work as a transport agent for a medical marijuana grow and dispensary and I'm looking to get an unrestricted gun license for safety. I have a dui from 8 years ago, and a restraining order from 2 years ago in which expired after a year of no contact. (We broke up and she wouldn't give back some of my belongings so she made false claims against me. I showed up and told the judge I just wanted my belongings back and that he could give her a restraining for all I care because I have no desire to see or contact her again and that's what he did. Is that going to hinder me in any way? Also as far writing the essay letter , should I say that I move hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of weed and money every day or just state that I want it for all lawful purposes, to protect my myself and family and that I'm an avid camper and hike and go into desolate remote areas and would feel safer carrying in case something should arise? It's a lot I know but any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Unless you are a police officer, the CWOF will screw you. The only cases where people were allowed to get or keep LTCs after DWIs with CWOFs.were Richard Stanley (former North Andover chief of police who was arrrested in Reading for DWI after slamming his unmarked cruiser while off duty into a railroad crossing gate) and Detective Francis Carl Rogers of the Haverhill police, who struck a North Readind police cruiser and injured an officer. Cops are more equal than you. They get multiple chances after screwing up. You don't. Welcome to MA!

Air pistol? Make sure your life insurance is up to date. If the bad guys see it, they will shoot you dead. If the cops see it, they will shoot you dead. Really dude? Don't be THAT stupid guy!

Not the greatest idea but options are limited. I would start with NOT pointing anything resembling a gun at a cop. With the Glock pellet models you can’t tell the difference even at 10 feet unlesss you’re a fanboy. I don’t always believe stats but over 80% of armed citizens forced the perp to retreat just by brandishing the gun- yes there’s still that 20% and you shouldn’t underestimate someone’s desperation. With or without defensive tools his job alone puts him at risk. I think Glocklike tendencies is right about situational awareness and habits.

Only way to find out is apply and state your case when the issues of your past come up. Worst they can say is no.
If you decide to proceed and apply, update this post and let us know how it goes.

I was always under the impression that having a denial from any state never mind Massachusetts is a big no-no because if I moved to another state and applied for a license the applications always ask the same question, were you ever denied a license and having a no starts a whole new line of problems and generally a denial from the new state. If it were me I would tread with caution before submitting an application.

Lowell doesnt care. The licensing officer in my old town lives in Lowell. That OFFICER had a hard time getting an LTC in Lowell, and the licensing office works at a Police Department.

That tells you a lot.

Get a lawyer or move to another town to have a better shot.

Dont risk the denial.

If your references are ex police chiefs, I'm sure they can have a chat with someone and find out if you will get approved or denied.

Good luck.

Don't use and I'll look into the expungement process. Thanks

Expungement in MA is relatively new and very limited, I'm not sure if it can be used for a DUI. Worth asking a lawyer. But an RO is not a conviction, so it can't be expunged, it's history is forever.

Unless you are a police officer, the CWOF will screw you.
A CWOF is not a conviction, technically it's a dismissal. So it isn't an automatic disqualifier, and it varies from town to town and depends on the incident. It's a suitability issue. Oddly, with it not being a conviction, even if a conviction for the offence could be expunged, the CWOF can not.

And the OP doesn't say it was a CWOF.

Only way to find out is apply and state your case when the issues of your past come up. Worst they can say is no.
If you decide to proceed and apply, update this post and let us know how it goes.
Not true. A MA DUI is an automatic disqualifier. Why would you apply anyway? Just to add a denial? Talk to a lawyer, deal with the DUI first.

I was always under the impression that having a denial from any state never mind Massachusetts is a big no-no because if I moved to another state and applied for a license the applications always ask the same question, were you ever denied a license and having a no starts a whole new line of problems and generally a denial from the new state. If it were me I would tread with caution before submitting an application.
I was denied as unsuitable in MA. I included the reason with my NH and Utah application (single arrest 20 years ago, dismissed). They didn't give an F. So it depends on the state.
But I agree, deal with the issue first and avoid the denial. In my case I didn't think a 20 year old arrest/dismissal would be an issue, and in many towns it would not have been. But....

Last edited:
Unless you are a police officer, the CWOF will screw you. The only cases where people were allowed to get or keep LTCs after DWIs with CWOFs.were Richard Stanley (former North Andover chief of police who was arrrested in Reading for DWI after slamming his unmarked cruiser while off duty into a railroad crossing gate) and Detective Francis Carl Rogers of the Haverhill police, who struck a North Readind police cruiser and injured an officer. Cops are more equal than you. They get multiple chances after screwing up. You don't. Welcome to MA!

Not true all depends on the deposition of the court records.

There are 12 arrests - cases on my friends record and all of the cases are either CWOF - DISMISSED or NO WANT TO PERSUE and he still got and has a LTC okayed by the city and the state.

And gets delayed every time when buying a gun and has to do a 4473 but never denied.

Last edited:

Question

If a person was arrested and charged for aggravated DWI in NH (bac was off the chart hence the aggrevated) which if convicted is a felony......and plead guilty to 1st offense dwi in nh which is a misdemeanor and received no jail time just loss of license for 9 months and the person has clean references currently......works with rehab programs as a volunteer counselor (the dwi smartened him up) and could get references from doctors, counselors, and even the police officer that arrested him......what are the results for this?

1. Is he a fed prohibited person? Charged with felony aggravated but plead guilty to class b misdemeanor 1st offense which is punishable by 9 months loss of license and $1000 fine max.
2. It's been 5 years since the guilty plea......can he apply for an ltc or fid in mass?

He wants to start hunting with me.......its my brother. The goal is to have him start hunting so fid would be ok.....but an ltc would be better of course.

Last edited:
Question

If a person was arrested and charged for aggravated DWI in NH (bac was off the chart hence the aggrevated) which if convicted is a felony......and plead guilty to 1st offense dwi in nh which is a misdemeanor and received no jail time just loss of license for 9 months and the person has clean references currently......works with rehab programs as a volunteer counselor (the dwi smartened him up) and could get references from doctors, counselors, and even the police officer that arrested him......what are the results for this?

1. Is he a fed prohibited person? Charged with felony aggravated but plead guilty to class b misdemeanor 1st offense which is punishable by 9 months loss of license and $1000 fine max.
2. It's been 5 years since the guilty plea......can he apply for an ltc or fid in mass?

He wants to start hunting with me.......its my brother. The goal is to have him start hunting so fid would be ok.....but an ltc would be better of course.

It doesn't matter what anyone is charged of...it matters what they're convicted off, which is why LE will charge you with everything they can think of and see what sticks to the wall.

It's the same advice as above. Get a copy of the disposition, and consult a competent firearms attorney. This is too important of a right to eff with, and it's too easy to screw up.

It doesn't matter what anyone is charged of...it matters what they're convicted off, which is why LE will charge you with everything they can think of and see what sticks to the wall.

It's the same advice as above. Get a copy of the disposition, and consult a competent firearms attorney. This is too important of a right to eff with, and it's too easy to screw up.
So good news is hes not federally a pp to start with.

Unbievable......if he lived in nh.....literally 8 miles north of his house.....he'd already be able to own a shotgun to hunt with.

Mass sucks

Back
Top Bottom