• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Questions about carrying extra rounds for a revolver

I’m in the market for a revolver for a carry gun and I’m looking for advice or opinions about how to carry extra rounds for it. Does anyone here use a revolver for daily carry? If so do you carry extra rounds? Do you use a speed loader or speed strip? Do you think that 5 or 6 rounds are enough?

TIA for any advice.

I carry snubby every day. In cooler weather I carry two extra speed loaders in a jacket pocket which is most of the year. In hot weather I carry a speed strip. Of course that goes along with pepper spray, a couple of knives and a Surefire.

I carry snubby every day. In cooler weather I carry two extra speed loaders in a jacket pocket which is most of the year. In hot weather I carry a speed strip. Of course that goes along with pepper spray, a couple of knives and a Surefire.

Cool weather never crossed my mind, good point. I never used a speed strip, what do you think of them?

When I carry a Chief's Special airweight, I always carry a speed strip with five rounds in it. Some very knowledgable trainers recommend a full six in the strip, so there is at least a second reload of one round.

I like the speed strips because they are flat and carry better for me in the pocket than speed loaders (you can purchase speed loader carriers for ccw)...although I am not as fast with the strips as the speedloader. Back when the revolver was in its heyday as a police weapon, the police carried and used speedloaders once they saw the advantage over loops and dump pouches, and I would surmise that many who use the revolver regularly today have a preference for the speedloader.

Always carry extra ammunition for any handgun you carry, at least one reload. At best, any handgun is somewhat of a comprimise. I think it was Clint Smith who said "Never take a handgun to gun fight" (meaning a gun fight you know you know you will be engaged in). As far as the number of rounds to carry, I have always followed the advice of those authorities who have subscribed to the idea that if you can't solve the problem with a half dozen rounds or so, you are probably way over your head...others will disagree, of course, but statistics seem to bear out the fact that most handgun fights occur at close range with just several rounds being exchanged. (Small comfort, I know, if you are facing six or eight heavily armed Hell's Angels or MS13 gang members.) Still, the one reload rule is what I was taught, and thre is nothing wrong with several reloads, except in concealed carry this creates different problems than carrying lots of spare ammunition on a duty belt.

Mark L.

Last edited:
Q32GftFcp5ws2tc3Qhxcm66YH55qwXO30300.jpg

Always at least one speedloader. Always a Safariland, they are superior to the more common HKS brand.

I don't bother with speed strips. They are too slow. As for concealability, nobody cares what a bulge in a pocket is. Seriously........

I carry 340PD hiviz, speed loader 5 more rounds.Problem SHOULD be solved with the 1st 2 rounds of 357 mag, unless its multiple bg's.

While that is true, I think the quote from the movie “Unforgiven” was “Well I just don't want to be killed for lack of shootin' back.”

I just ordered a speedloader pouch and dump pouch from www.simplyrugged.com. Rob made a custom pancake holster with thumb brake for my 44 magnum and it came inabout 7 weeks. Absolutely beautiful work, with a beautiful oxblood finish. Looks handmade,and it has a practical, "rugged" look as opposed to a dressy appearance. So whether you go with a speed loader or loose cartridges, you have a choice. He also has loop holders, but I don't think that's a good choice for a fast reload.

Wayne, The Hammer, Wong

I always carry at least 1-2 additional speedloaders for any of my carry revolvers.In the summer I only wear cargo style shorts which have the 2 extra pockets on the "legs".Also I ALWAYS have at least one knife and Surefire with me.[smile]

Primary top right

reload/spare ammo is one of the others in the pocket holster off side plus either the speed loaders or the moon clip

JFRAME001.jpg

MTM case guard in either 18 or 12 round completes the spare ammo problem.

Lately, the primary has changed to a Sig 226 in 357SIG.

OUT

Always at least one speedloader. Always a Safariland, they are superior to the more common HKS brand.

+1... I have a few HKSes and they're fine for sundry use but if I wanted a do or die speedloader I'd get a safariland.... the most important thing however, is for the user to read the directions, at least once.... or they'll never get the cartridges loaded in there correctly. [laugh] Case in point- the guys that use safarilands at the pin shoots, are almost always a little faster than the ones that don't. All the user has to do is push that sucker onto the cylinder and it falls off, leaving the cartridges "installed".

-Mike

Safariland it is then. I'm looking at getting a Dan Wesson and I'm pretty sure I've seen them listed as one of the guns they fit on a web page somewhere.

I’m in the market for a revolver for a carry gun and I’m looking for advice or opinions about how to carry extra rounds for it. Does anyone here use a revolver for daily carry? If so do you carry extra rounds? Do you use a speed loader or speed strip? Do you think that 5 or 6 rounds are enough?

TIA for any advice.

Speed strips are nice for J-frames. If you're going bigger, you might as well use a speedloader.

I use a speed strip for my Mod 60. I carry five in the strip, with the extra hole making it a reload of 2 and 3, just in case I can either figure out a partial reload, or do a full reload with a little better leverage. I carry it in the watch pocket of my jeans, finally, a use for that pocket.

I'm surprised at how many revolver carriers there are here. Every other board is full of "has to be an auto, caliber starting with .4" crowd. Maybe people here are just more truthful?

I'm surprised at how many revolver carriers there are here. Every other board is full of "has to be an auto, caliber starting with .4" crowd. Maybe people here are just more truthful?

Alot of other boards may have more from Open Carry states - if I had that option I would using a full size 1911 style on my hip.

I am a big 1911 fan. I don't have a carry gun yet and I don't own a revolver yet and don't have much interest in them, either. When I do decide to get my ass in gear and start carrying, however, it will be a revolver for sure.

I use a speed strip for my Mod 60. I carry five in the strip, with the extra hole making it a reload of 2 and 3, just in case I can either figure out a partial reload, or do a full reload with a little better leverage. I carry it in the watch pocket of my jeans, finally, a use for that pocket.

Revolver's rock...something about them. I have plenty of auto's, but I just love a nice snub .38spl... It'll do the trick if you need it. I carry I speed loader. Never tried the strips.

rounds

TIA for any advice.
i always carry at least 20 rounds total [including loaded in the gun] with any gun semi or revolver. for revolver: mtm makes ammo wallets for many calibers which fit in your back pocket, speed loaders are good, speed strips are less bulky. there are also belt slide loops. when traveling overnight or a distance; keep a box of extra ammo in the car.[smile]

Some of it is because NES has a lot of folks from MA, and you can't really get much in this state in the way of pocket autos that fire viable defense rounds, unless you're hunting on the secondary market. So most folks have figured out that a wheelgun is the next best alternative... and in some cases some would consider it superior. [smile]

-Mike

I use both speed strips and speed loaders. I have two speed strips with 4 rounds in each. I find four rounds easier to load than all five. I use five in the speed loader. Whichever reload method you decide upon, make sure you practice. Get some dummy rounds and rehearse your technique reloading and firing. You don't want a fire fight to be the first and last indication that you needed a bit more coaching.

Back
Top Bottom