• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

questioned for "expired LTC"?

I don't know how people get ticketed in a private parking lot, that makes no sense. It would be the same as cop ticketing a car in my driveway and in the back of my property. As long as I'm a customer at the lot, I can wait until guy's shift ends.

The gas station parking lot is a place you can get ticketed, due to the publics right of access.

The cop can run your plate for no reason at all, but he may have seen your bad sticker, or just didnt like the way you parted your hair that day, who knows. He could just be a dick.

Asking about your LTC is a threshold inquiry, barely, but it is. Sounds to me like you answered properly and made him happy, so you got to leave with your papers, and not in the gulag guarded by Caucasian Mountain dogs lol. You drive a Skoda?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I agree. Im curious as to how often he hears this happening.

+1 , My daughter also got a surcharge for an expired sticker.

I guess an unsafe car (can't pass inspection) is more likely to be in accident or some BS like that. Just another reason why i extremely dislike insurance companies.

Why didn't she contest it? If she was able to get it inspected shortly thereafter, take a picture of the new sticker, and went "sorry, I forgot" that might make the magistrate happy enough to drop it. I've had them drop worse things.

-Mike

Why didn't she contest it? If she was able to get it inspected shortly thereafter, take a picture of the new sticker, and went "sorry, I forgot" that might make the magistrate happy enough to drop it. I've had them drop worse things.

-Mike

This x100

5th story ive heard or read here since march. Cop pulls people over for one thing and starts ? About LTC. Except 1. This guy I worked with a NH resident got pulled over by a MA trooper because he had an expired LTC. The female cop wanted to seach his car. Maybe she thought he was straw buyer?

It's been surchargable at least since '87 when I moved to MA. Guessing if issued to an unattended parked vehicle, with no "operator" listed, it cant be pinned on a person, so you dont get hit that way.

This guy I worked with a NH resident got pulled over by a MA trooper because he had an expired LTC. The female cop wanted to seach his car. Maybe she thought he was straw buyer?

At first this almost makes no sense given the facts here... then again, my guess is they are doing automated scripting that matches up name and DOB with known LTC holders present and past... maybe?

-Mike

I don't know how people get ticketed in a private parking lot, that makes no sense. It would be the same as cop ticketing a car in my driveway and in the back of my property. As long as I'm a customer at the lot, I can wait until guy's shift ends.

MA laws makes all private property that is open to public (parking lots) a public way, aka they can and will enforce their laws there.

Your car needs camouflage....

clinton-kaine-2016-blue-bumper-sticker.png

Must be those plate scanners, because I've Never EVER heard of anyone getting a ticket for an expired inspection while being parked out here in the sticks of WMass.

Based on OP's experience, looks to be the officers discretion on if he wants to jam you on it or not.

Common sense (to me anyways) if you drive a rusted, loud, expired, POS down the road, chances are Officer Obie is going to take a second interest in you over everyone else.

Thought he had the OP dead to rights, didn't, backed off and said have a nice day.

not really seeing the problem here.
LTC's in this day and age probably pop up right away when they run you. Not third screen or additional request for info screen anymore.

Just my guesses.

Question is, is "expired LTC in the system" a valid basis for questioning, because while being parked I can only think about being charged with loitering at the worst and unless I carry or possess, I don't even need to renew my LTC, but unless I'm printing how does the cop know that I carry? What's the rules on LTC identification for peons, do you have to present that on demand? If patrol car has magic system that ties my DL with LTC, there is no point in showing that.

Carrying a gun or having an LTC is not against the law or indicative of any crime being committed. Having an expired LTC likewise means nothing. Even if your license was expired, the cop has no evidence that you were carrying a firearm. If a cop runs your info and sees you have an LTC, or in this case an expired one, that alone does not provide justification for him to stop you and ask you questions.

In this instance, your expired inspection sticker and possible loitering gave him a reason to talk to you. Once he has that reason he can ask you about anything he wants, including your LTC or lack there of. You're also free not to answer any of his questions.

The interesting thing is, asking to see your LTC and asking whether or not you have one are very different questions from a constitutional standpoint. One is a demand to see a license they (presumably) know you have. The other is asking you to provide information that could be incriminating and therefore could have 5th amendment implications.

At first this almost makes no sense given the facts here... then again, my guess is they are doing automated scripting that matches up name and DOB with known LTC holders present and past... maybe?

-Mike

He had no idea since he moved out of MA in 1986! He got pulled over in March. She was very persistent about asking if he had any firearms on him. The guy is like 65 too.

Although, if the judiciary was working properly, an expired LTC is notshould not be per se enough to justify a stop/search of you for a gun absent any evidence a gun is on you.
1. The MA SJC has ruled that the smell of the heathen devil weed in a car is not justification for a search, as it is suggestive only of a civil, not criminal, violation.

2. Possession or carry on an expired LTC (absent ineligibility or revocation) is a civil, non-criminal, violation.

QED

-Mike

Depends on "how" they run your plate. With CJISWeb, if you're run by DL#, SSN, vehicle plate, or Name/DOB, any potential "hits" will show up as an exclamation point inside a yellow triangle. Could be someone with a similar name/dob has warrants, and the "expired" lifetime FIDs or an old OC spray only FID will register a "hit" under the LTC/FID (BOPFI) tab

As far as the CAD/LAN system and using that function to run people? There are different programs, but I am only familiar with IMC. There, it won't pick up LTC info (or at least the version I've been using won't), but any hits will have the tab flash red and a siren/horn sound will play.

If the car is operated or parked on a public way, expired inspection is a surchargeable offense. So is driving with the red R inspection reject sticker (you're supposed to be towed away).

If the car is operated or parked on a public way, expired inspection is a surchargeable offense. So is driving with the red R inspection reject sticker (you're supposed to be towed away).

Are you sure about that R thing? I was told by the inspection guy that I have 30 days to get re-inspected and in fact I used to drive a lot (I drove lots of shitty cars) with R sticker and never got a ticket. Cops do tend to stop you a lot when you got an R sticker, but I never got a ticket though. The reason for stopping is always "you have failed sticker".

Yeah, a black R is emissions stuff that you have 30 days or whatever to fix. A red R means you could get pulled over and towed.

You still have a 30 day window to have your red R fixed, and you're not supposed to drive on it. But its not like the inspection station impounds your car.
Roll the dice and take your chances.

You still have a 30 day window to have your red R fixed, and you're not supposed to drive on it. But its not like the inspection station impounds your car.
Roll the dice and take your chances.

I know of at least one station that did impound a car with bad ball joints. Said it was unsafe to drive, and when the owner attempted to leave, they would not return the keys as the station said that would make them liable for any accidents. The local PD was called, and they sided with the station under their reading of the law, and the key had to be handed to a tow driver to bring to a repair shop of the car owner's choosing.

The law says safety defects must be repaired immediately.

Somewhat relevant, anybody know about expired C&R or is that a federal and ATF thing? and whats process for reapplying if you let yours lapse?

Back
Top Bottom