• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question: WWII FN Browning P35 chipped slides?

I have a question regarding WWII vintage P35s made by FN for the Germans. Was the milling done so quickly (and shoddy) that it is common for WWII P35s to have thier slides chipped/cracked underneath the barrel galley, inside where the recoil spring is housed? Has anyone else seen this on old P35s? Thanks in advance.

WW II Browning FN

What was year of manufacture? 6 digit serial number or 5 digit with letter?
German supervised production started at s/n 50,001. Very late production had only full s/n's on the slide and 3 digit plus letter on barrel and frame.

720xxxa - on barrel, slide and frame.

I'm asking about the spring housing on the underneath/inside part of the slide, was it common to have it look like it has a chunk chipped out of it?

My search indicated 1943 due to the waffenamt of WaA140 (on the opposite side of the slide and fram from the serial) which I am told was only used on FN guns during 1943.

FNP35Serial.jpg

Your FN Browning

I am fairly new to the Browning High Power club, but the "7" infront of the serial numbers looks a little odd. My research indicates that the s/n 20104A would make more sense. Total production of the B series was around 63,000.
Also sometime around 32,000 they started to eliminate the first 2 digits on the barrel and frame, which would put 20104 in the 5 digit time frame. Maybe the 7 was added to make the s/n unique??? Any photos of the chipped slide?

Yea, I'm new to P35's too. Ive been told dating P35s based on serial numbers is hard to do, so some folks use the waffenamts to date thier P35s. I am certainly no expert on the subject. Here is a pic of the slide.

FNP35.jpg

FN Browing

The steel is very thin at that point. May have broken away sometimes afterward. Another interesting thing in the photograph is the two points where the slots are for the rails on the recever fit. Almost looks like some welding took place there???

By the looks of that slide, I'd be very careful shooting that old Browning. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get some of those recoil buffers you linked to. I don't use those, as they tend to disintigrate after a certain amount of rounds fired. (and that'll gum up the works) I'd certainly never use them in a carry gun, but for your intents and purposes it could do nicely.

After poking around on auction sites and doing some web searches - I found several examples of WWII P35s that have chips in the recoil spring housing very similar to the picture I posted. I tend to think its an artifact of FN blazing through production (with rough milling) to meet the Wermacht's needs. Nevertheless, the shock buff should help - at least with my piece of mind.

When we getting together to shoot some Nazi pistols?

Back
Top Bottom