• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question Ruger SR9C Barrel

On my new Ruger SR9C...when you pull the slide to the rear and lock it into the open position, is there supposed to be some loose play on the barrel? I can grab the barrel and it loosely wiggles. The reason I ask is that there is no loose play on the barrel of my SR22 when I pull the slide to the rear and lock it. Thanks.

The sr22 barrel is a fixed barrel, meaning it's connected to the frame. The play on the sr9c barrel when the slide is locked back is normal, and does not affect accuracy.

I concur. Completely normal. You can hear it rattle if you shake it while open.

If you haven't yet, be sure and take it apart and give it a good cleaning. Be sure and include the striker and channel in the cleaning as that's the source of many malfunctions with this weapon.

Thanks all. I cleaned all the grease out of it right out of the box before I took it to the range. Shot about 80 rounds through it without a hitch other than I can't hit the side of a barn with it.

Thanks all. I cleaned all the grease out of it right out of the box before I took it to the range. Shot about 80 rounds through it without a hitch other than I can't hit the side of a barn with it.

I had a similar issue when I moved up to 9mm. One technique that worked very well for me was to shoot at the center of a blank target (i.e. turn your target around or use a blank piece of paper). What I was doing was focusing on the front sight, then the target, then the front sight, then the target... The blank sheet helps you focus solely on the front sight. My groups moved back to the center of the paper.

Next up is dry firing. Not only is it cheaper than missing at $0.25/miss, it helps smooth the trigger and shows you if you have any flinching issues. Just please make sure it's unloaded before you put a round through your TV [smile].

browning's tilting barrel locking system must have free barrel to do the tilting and locking. 9mm, 40SW, 45ACP

all smaller/slower calibers are 95% straight blow-back design and therefore have barrels that are permanently fixed to the frame and don't move. example .22, .32, .380, 9x18Mak

there are very small portion of pistols that use different system to lock breach or slow down blow-back those are obviously do not fall under this rule since completely different design.

also there are some pistols that use locked breach for the 'blow-back' caliber like .380. Example new glocks 42 and 25. reason being - polymer frame and lack of metal in the frame to hard mount barrel to.

Thanks ToddDubya. I couldn't believe that I was shooting at 10 yards and most all my shots were 5-6 inches to the left with the 9mm. I was really discoraged! I am dead on with my SR22 at 15 yards and out to 20 yards also so I couldn't believe I was that bad a shot with the SR9C. Was thinking of drifting the rear sight but I am going back to the range with a couple sand bags to rest my hands and pistol on. I definitely do not want to dift the sight before I am sure it is not me. From replies from others on this forum I think IT IS ME. Thanks for the tips that I shall try too!

If I don't focus, my shots will go the left. I'm not a very good pistol shooter to begin with, and that's why I'm going to the sig academy for some training. I got a sweet gift certificate from my brother and sister in law to there. I just need to figure our which course and when.

If you shoot to the left, it is due to the way you pull the trigger.

You have to slowly squeeze the trigger to avoid jerking the gun.

Just takes some practice.

Glad you asked this since I had the same question when I recently picked mine up but never asked.

Thanks ToddDubya. I couldn't believe that I was shooting at 10 yards and most all my shots were 5-6 inches to the left with the 9mm. I was really discoraged! I am dead on with my SR22 at 15 yards and out to 20 yards also so I couldn't believe I was that bad a shot with the SR9C. Was thinking of drifting the rear sight but I am going back to the range with a couple sand bags to rest my hands and pistol on. I definitely do not want to dift the sight before I am sure it is not me. From replies from others on this forum I think IT IS ME. Thanks for the tips that I shall try too!

I bet the small grip isn't doing you any favors. Pick up a full size mag with the grip sleeve on it. Slap one of those in there and see where your groups land. I would be willing to lay money down that you see a huge improvement. Oh and as another poster mentioned. Trigger control, trigger control, trigger control... Your probably using way too much booger hook.

Back
Top Bottom