Question regarding the 2020 Chevy 1500 Silverado's

paracarry

NES Member
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I plan on buying a 2020 chevy Silverado 1500 this spring, for those that are knowledgeable with the different models, what are some of the differences in the LT Trail Boss and the RST, I know one has a 10 speed transmission and the other an 8 speed but just curious if there are any other major differences. I like the looks of both and these are in my price range. Now before anyone ads there 2 cents of the usual buy a Ford, Ram or GMC. I have decided on a chevy. I am sure there will be plenty of you making stupid comments to get your post counts up, hell I expect it after all this is NES. But unless you can contribute to my question you really are just wasting space. Thanks to all that actually contribute.

Maddawg1952

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I'm a GM kind of guy, dive fords for work, but own a Chevy. Can't help much with the 2020, I have a 2019 2500hd 6.0 liter Z-71 package, that so far it's great. Had an 05 GM for 14 yrs. not much went wrong . This is my 8th GM product. I tow a lot! Never had tranny issues on any of them.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I have a 2010 GMC Yukon XL, but I'm not very familiar with different packages in the newer stuff. My best advice would be to look for the factory sales brochure online (GM usually has them posted as a PDF) and start comparing the differences between the two.

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have a 2013 GMC Sierra and I have been happy with it.

I was at the dealer last month looking at the 2020’s as I want to upgrade to a 3/4 or 1 ton truck and every engine in the new vehicles have their brand new Dynamic Fuel Management system.

I am going to wait for a few years. Trucks are too expensive to be a beta tester.

Bob

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Watch for incentives in February. Even though I have a 2019 1500 LTZ Z71 I'll be looking to see about changing to the 2020 to get the version with the HUD and a few more options. I went in last January looking for the RST and walked away with the LTZ. Don't regret it at all.

You looking for double or crew cab? I'd get the 6-1/2 foot bed either way. I had a 2015 LT Z71, which I liked. Didn't care for the style of the 2016-2018. Changes made to the 2019 brought me in.

BTW, push button start is sweet. I also have the OnStar subscription so I can remote start it from anywhere (via the phone app).

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
My nephew has a 19 or 20 Denali. New body style just the same. He’s a solid GM guy to the core. They were here last week for dinner and he mentioned it’s way too complicated. Says he’s thinking about going back for his old truck that’s still sitting on the lot from the trade.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The RST is an LT with painted bumpers and grill, no chrome. The trail boss has a factory 2 inch lift kit in it and bigger tires. Whichever model you buy if it does not have the Z71 package it will come with a single speed transfer case.

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
The RST is an LT with painted bumpers and grill, no chrome. The trail boss has a factory 2 inch lift kit in it and bigger tires. Whichever model you buy if it does not have the Z71 package it will come with a single speed transfer case.
Max Tow package includes hi/low xfer case. Not sure whether ride is better or worse between Z71 and MT.

Our 2016 Tahoe has Max Tow and rides reasonably well for that type of vehicle.

paracarry

NES Member
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Watch for incentives in February. Even though I have a 2019 1500 LTZ Z71 I'll be looking to see about changing to the 2020 to get the version with the HUD and a few more options. I went in last January looking for the RST and walked away with the LTZ. Don't regret it at all.

You looking for double or crew cab? I'd get the 6-1/2 foot bed either way. I had a 2015 LT Z71, which I liked. Didn't care for the style of the 2016-2018. Changes made to the 2019 brought me in.

BTW, push button start is sweet. I also have the OnStar subscription so I can remote start it from anywhere (via the phone app).
I will be getting the crew cab.

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
I will be getting the crew cab.
Look at the LTZ Z71 as well. I was originally going to look for the RST due to what it could have for features. The LTZ Z71 was on the lot and hit pretty much every mark I had (at the time). As I mentioned, next month the incentives/discounts could be deep enough to get you into that trim level at a rate you're good with. If I can't get he numbers to be where I want them, I'll just keep my 2019. I don't care as much about the cab size (crew or double) as much as the bed length. Mostly because I have a cover on mine now. ;) I will just transplant that if I end up getting the newer model.

As for the change made to the engine with the 2019 (and above), I've not had any issue. You can disable the auto start/stop if you want (but you have to do it each time you start it). But it won't engage if the weather is too cold, or you're running AC high enough.

Something else in the LTZ, that I'm not sure if it's in the RST or LT... The mirrors will automatically tint at night when you have someone behind you. It really helps when some krackwaffle gets behind you with either stupid bright headlights, or the flip to their high beams.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd drive both of them, the suspension setup seems to be the biggest difference other than transmission. One is probably more show than go.

Find a bumpy road near the dealership, see which one handles real world stuff better. Nothing worse than getting a kidney breaker unless that's what you want.

I'm a Ford guy, but Chevy makes a nice driving truck if you don't abuse the hell out of it. If it's anything like the new Tahoes (which I have driven extensively), it drives more like a car than the old school truck feel. It's the first time I drove one and said, "Yeah, I'd buy one of these if I wouldn't have to auction off a kid to do it".

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I’d own a Tahoe in a second but it would be useless to me most of the time. Wife doesn’t want anything that big to drive also puts the brakes on the idea.
She backs my truck in like a boss at her work on the rare occasion I take her SUV so I don’t understand the reluctance.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 5.3 is an excellent engine. Very good power and not terrible on fuel. I had the Z-71 package in my sierra. I wouldn't get one with out it. Mine was 15 yrs old and had just broken 200k before I traded it in. It was starting to give me problems. But overall it was a pretty decent truck. There's only a few vehicles I would buy from GM and the Silverado is one of them. My2c

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I own a 2019 AT4 with all the bells. I have lost my brakes (4) times in the past month due to a software patch issue. Truck was working fine prior. I am told they did a fix on Friday they say will be the final one but I am doubtful. I will wait to see when I put some time in it next week .

I do love the truck, but I need brakes! And I am not the only one. Scary to realize it’s all electronic now. Even the parking brake is a button!!! I asked if it would stop me if my brakes went out again. ”It should” doesn’t make me feel good. I can’t put my kids in which sucks and may make me trade it away.

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
If your not hauling or working it the trim levels come down to what makes you happy.
I have come to liked heated cooled seats and heated stsaring wheels.
Sadly my daily rig does not have either. I wont be looking to replace my truck for at least 5 years and most likely only be able to afford a used POS where all that stuff will be broken

paracarry

NES Member
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Thanks all for your input, I bought a leftover 2019 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab short box. Has everything I needed and wanted. I just need to get a spray in bed liner, a roll up tonneau cover and running boards. Any recommendations for these in the Plymouth area would be appreciated.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I’d own a Tahoe in a second but it would be useless to me most of the time. Wife doesn’t want anything that big to drive also puts the brakes on the idea.
She backs my truck in like a boss at her work on the rare occasion I take her SUV so I don’t understand the reluctance.
LOL..the truck is probably actually bigger than Tahoe at least as far as length, and she thinks the Tahoe is bigger?

BFDX7

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats, I pulled the trigger on a 2019 Silverado double cab LD yesterday. My requirements were pretty simple, 4x4, v8, double cab and a power adjustable driver seat for the wife. With the rebates it was hard not to. I’ve been pondering this for the last couple of years. With the kids all old enough to hunt on their own I needed something 4x4 that could carry all of the gear. This is replacing my 1995 f-150 2x4.

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
LOL..the truck is probably actually bigger than Tahoe at least as far as length, and she thinks the Tahoe is bigger?
She just does not want a daily driver that large. I taught her how to use her mirrors. She was much better than some on the FD when I was the driver trainer.

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
I started getting things rolling on getting a 2020 built a week ago Friday. 2020 LTZ Z71 with both convenience and safety packages plus the technology package. Estimated 6-8 weeks out from then. So 5-7 weeks now. Went with the crew cab but standard (6-1/2' long) bed. I'll move the bed cover I have now over to it.

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
If your not hauling or working it the trim levels come down to what makes you happy.
I have come to liked heated cooled seats and heated stsaring wheels.
Sadly my daily rig does not have either. I wont be looking to replace my truck for at least 5 years and most likely only be able to afford a used POS where all that stuff will be broken
Heated seats are a must have accessory for me after 7 back operations. My 2013 didn’t have them so I put them in.

The seat covers go off and on pretty easy these days. No more hog rings. Everything is Velcro, plastic rivet, and piping channel fasteners. It couldn’t be any easier.

Bob

Top Bottom