Question regarding RI's pass through carry law.

iefstath

NES Member
I understand that RI allows for carry in your vehicle if you are passing through the state and are licensed on the other side. I also understand that RI does not require a license to simply possess a firearm in ones home or property...

My question; can I carry in my apartment in RI, walk down to my car while carrying, get in and drive out of the state to MA where I am licensed? Would this violate the RI statute, I'm not stopping in the state once I get in my car...

Secondly, if this is allowed, would I then be able to carry in MA, drive home and walk into my apartment in RI without being in violation or do I need a RI Non-res license to legally do both of these things?

IANAL, but I do believe you would need the RI out-of-state ccw permit to do that. The pass-through law pertains to people traveling through RI from one state to another (ie, CT to MA through RI).

If you are a resident of RI, you need to have a blue-card to own any handguns. Any resident 18+ can own a shotgun or rifle.

What happens if neither the state you live in nor the one you are headed to require licenses or permits for handgun possession?

What happens if neither the state you live in nor the one you are headed to require licenses or permits for handgun possession?

Neither of the 2 states that border Rhode Island fit that definition. Both CT and MA require permits for both possession and carry. I can't imagine anyone traveling through RI going from VT to TX, for example!

OTOH, MA residents often cross a corner of RI going from the Worcester area through Providence to the New Bedford or Cape Cod areas... this RI law allows them to continue to carry concealed on their MA LTCs as the cross a portion of RI.

As RichM said, RI General Laws 11-47-8 exempts people passing through the state who are actually carrying concealed, as long as they're licensed in another state.

My question; can I carry in my apartment in RI, walk down to my car while carrying, get in and drive out of the state to MA where I am licensed? Would this violate the RI statute, I'm not stopping in the state once I get in my car...

Best case scenario, you would be violating the law from your front door to the car on the way out of Mass, and would be violating the law from the state line to your apartment on the way back.

Likely scenario: since one of the terminus points is within the state the pass-through exemption does not apply to your situation at all, as plumber says. Not a lawyer, but I wouldn't want to be the test case.

We need national reciprocity.

Ran this question by a RI officer I know, and yes, this scenario is breaking RI law. To do what iefstath is describing, one would need to apply for a out-of-state CCW. To pass through legally, you would cannot exit your vehicle at any point in RI while carrying. He also highly advised against keeping an out of state handgun in an apartment until the necessary paperwork was done.

This may be a real stupid question... I dont have my LTC yet " waiting for monthly retirement check ". If I have a Ma. LTC A non restrict. would I beable to pass thru other states or is this just a RI thing. If so how do you go about being able to do that? the reason i ask is i am planning a trip to FLA. on the bike alone and would like protection.

The RI pass-through law allows you to continue to carry a loaded, concealed handgun through the state on your way from and to a place where you are permitted to carry a loaded and concealed handgun.

FOPA (Firearms Owners Protection Act) is a federal law that allows you to TRANSPORT UN-loaded firearms that are locked up and inaccessible for the purpose of ready use through any state, whether or not that sate would allow you to possess those firearms in that state.

There are distinct differences between these two laws... it's wise to not confuse them.

Is their a way to carry thru the states and then in a state were I would be vacationing.

The Firearm Owners Protection Act (FOPA) allows TRANSPORT through states where you need a license to possess a gun and you do not have such license. It requires that possession of said gun is permissible in both the state where you began your travel and the state of your destination. It requires that the guns be unloaded, secured in a locked container, and that the ammunition be locked up and secured elsewhere.

From the Cornell University Law School site
TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > § 926A
§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

CARRY is a separate question (carry implies concealed carry of a loaded handgun). If you are required to have a permit to carry a concealed handgun in the state of your destination, then you must either have that permit, or have an acceptable permit from another state that has a reciprocal agreement with your destination-state.

Is their a way to carry thru the states and then in a state were I would be vacationing.

RichM has already covered FOPA which, as he explained, only covers transport, not carry. In order to carry from here to FL, I would suggest a FL non-resident CWFL (concealed weapons or firearm license). That would allow you to carry a concealed firearm in DE, VA, NC & GA as well as FL. The remaining states (NY, NJ, MD & SC) can be transited under the provisions of FOPA (again, transport only, no carry).

This information will be of interest to all, so I'll post a copy of what I sent to Jake:

OK...

Long post coming right up!

First, visit www.usacarry.com for a decent compilation of carry reciprocity and pointers to state laws.

Also visit the NRA-ILA Gun Laws pages for their [sometimes inaccurate] summaries of state laws. They also have links to the actual laws, which is what you really should look at.

Mass has incoming reciprocity with no other states; you must have a Mass license to possess in MA. The only states that recognize a MA LTC are those states that either recognize all persons' right to carry concealed (like VT), or who recognize any individual licensed by their home state (like TX).

Using the map on USACarry, click on MA as your home state, and FL as another state in which you are licensed. Getting a FL NR CCP does several things for you:

1. It will allow you to carry concealed in FL;
2. It allows you to take advantage of FOPA, as you will be permitted to carry in both your origin and destination states.
3. FL has reciprocity with most other states along the east coast.

With MA & FL permits, you can carry concealed in every state between here and FL once you get below NJ or MD. Until you are beyond those states, you must follow FOPA, and I would not recommend any unnecessary stops in those states north of those borders (I.e. fuel and feed ONLY). Do NOT stay overnight in one of those states, as they can interpret the overnight period as allowing you easy (and therefore illegal) access to your gun(s).

Be aware that SC only recognizes FL resident permits; non-FL residents MUST revert to FOPA when in SC.

HOWEVER, many states outside of New England allow unlicensed possession of firearms, although they require licensing for concealed carry of loaded firearms. Check to see specifically what are the laws re: possession in SC, as you might not need to strictly rely on FOPA for travel through (or a stay in) SC.

In addition, while traveling, you must be knowledgeable of EACH state's laws regarding prohibited places (bars, restaurants with bars, places posting signs prohibiting carry, etc.).

You must also know whether each state requires disclosure to a policeman when you are carrying. We don't usually need to worry about that in MA, but several states require that you inform a policeman at or within a specified time from when you are stopped.

Ran this question by a RI officer I know, and yes, this scenario is breaking RI law. To do what iefstath is describing, one would need to apply for a out-of-state CCW. To pass through legally, you would cannot exit your vehicle at any point in RI while carrying. He also highly advised against keeping an out of state handgun in an apartment until the necessary paperwork was done.

I've heard that the RI State Police have taken the position that the law only applies to people on the highway. I haven't seen (or looked for) any caselaw on it. It's not a law I'd try to push the envelope on though.

This may be a real stupid question... I dont have my LTC yet " waiting for monthly retirement check ". If I have a Ma. LTC A non restrict. would I beable to pass thru other states or is this just a RI thing. If so how do you go about being able to do that? the reason i ask is i am planning a trip to FLA. on the bike alone and would like protection.

I'm not aware of any other state that allows people to carry while passing through, except where reciprocity comes into play. If you're travelling to FL, do you have a FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm License? If so that will allow you to carry for a huge chunk of your driving trip down here via reciprocity. But you'd have to lock it up unloaded in the states where you're not covered by the FL license, unfortunately.

how hard is it to get non resident LTC in FL.

As Kevlar said, it's simple, the license is 100% shall issue. Even without a permit it's legal to have a loaded gun in a vehicle in FL if you aren't federally prohibited from possessing it. When in the vehicle without a license it simply must be "securely encased," which typically means in the glove compartment, center console or some kind of closing box/case.

As RichM said, RI General Laws 11-47-8 exempts people passing through the state who are actually carrying concealed, as long as they're licensed in another state.

Nothing mandates concealment in the 11-47-8 exception, you can carry passing through as you see fit, openly, concealed or whatever.

IANAL, but I do believe you would need the RI out-of-state ccw permit to do that. The pass-through law pertains to people traveling through RI from one state to another (ie, CT to MA through RI).

If you are a resident of RI, you need to have a blue-card to own any handguns. Any resident 18+ can own a shotgun or rifle.

A blue card is not needed to possess. People bought handguns in the 1970's without a bluecard.

You can move into the state with handguns and you don't need a blue card.

Also, you can buy a firearm without a blue card if you have a town permit to carry.

RichM has already covered FOPA which, as he explained, only covers transport, not carry. In order to carry from here to FL, I would suggest a FL non-resident CWFL (concealed weapons or firearm license). That would allow you to carry a concealed firearm in DE, VA, NC & GA as well as FL. The remaining states (NY, NJ, MD & SC) can be transited under the provisions of FOPA (again, transport only, no carry).

Just remembered, you can legally carry loaded in the glove compartment through SC. A FL license also covers you in PA (although on 95 you're only in PA for about 20 minutes [laugh]).

Nothing mandates concealment in the 11-47-8 exception, you can carry passing through as you see fit, openly, concealed or whatever.

True, but I was trying to convey the point that I literally meant carrying; many people from Mass. are used to the MGL daffynitions regarding the meaning of common words. I'd also like to note that open carry while driving through RI without a permit is strictly legal, but not at all a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom