• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question regarding hunting in California

pj150

NES Member
I couldn't find any info so I'm going to throw this out to the community to see if anyone has answers.

I'm planning to go out to California for a few days and my buddy there wants me to go on a few hunting and fishing expeditions with him. I know I will need proof of hunting ed course or an existing out of state hunting license (which I have) to obtain a non-resident hunting license. We're cool on that.

My question is whether or not I will need some sort of non-resident gun permit. He has an extra shotgun for me to use so I'm not bringing any of my own. Would my license here in MA cover me for long guns for the duration of the hunt or will I need to buy some sort of temp/perm non-resident deal? This is for shotgun over waterfowl only, no handguns or rifles.

I appreciate any help you can give me. I checked the DFW site for Cali but did not find anything. My friend thinks that I don't need any license or anything like that except for the non-res hunting license since the guns are registered to him and I'm only using it for the few hours in the swamp. I would hate to be caught in some infraction only to have my own LTC in jeopady.

I can guarantee you that your LTC is not valid in CA.

I lived in Cali for 32 years ,I never hunted but fished for wild trout every chance I got.

You will need a non-resident fishing license,I am pretty sure they are somewhat expensive compared to a year long resident permit.

I would imagine as long as the rifle is legal to own in Cali,you should be good to go.I would maybe think about getting a non-resident hunting permit mail order or online somewhere,so that way when you land in Ca you can immediately prove your intentions.

What part of CA are you venturing into ?

Unless California law has changed (and you can double check packing.org) as long as your gun is California legal, you do not require a license or permit to carry firearms while hunting.

Now the situation is this: California doesn't keep you from owning or shooting or transporting firearms (not even San Francisco as the law doesn't go into effect yet) What the law in California basically doesn't allow you to do is to carry concealed, which is hard with a long gun.

Now when you buy a gun there, there is a waiting period and they have their list of banned guns too (not the same as our list in all cases, many manufacturers who won't play by Mass rules will play by California rules simply because 35 million people live there)

So, except for the above named inconveniences, owning a gun in California is a lot like have a restricted Class A Sport and Target license without having to pay $100 dollars.

Been there, done that (California resident 1979-82, non residing legal resident 1982-1995),

Mark

I'll confirm what's been said, though my first hand experience is a little stale. The only sort of license that California issues is for concealed carry. You don't need anything beyond a clean record to own, possess or transport a rifle, shotgun or handgun. (Federal law places its own limits on purchases by a nonresident.) Other than their slightly different list of banned firearms, the only additional quirk of California law is that all transfers/sales have to be booked through a licensed dealer.

Ken

Thanks for the replies. Checked packing.org and they did not say anything about short term hunting with a long gun.

I will not be carrying for the duration of my stay not do I intend to bring any. I think I will be somewhere between San Fran and LA I believe the place is called Tracy. Not sure where that is.

Anyway, looks like I will be spending quite a bit on a non res hunting and fishing license. I'll look to see if they have some sort of combo for saltwater and waterfowl for two days.

Back
Top Bottom