Question Regarding Address Change

At the end of the month I'm moving. Staying in the same town. When just changing addresses to you need to make the full notifications (local pd, issuing authority, FRB) or is just notifying the FRB sufficient?

http://goal.org/masslawpages/moving.html

Massachusetts General Law Chapter 140, section 131(l) states:

Any licensee shall notify, in writing, the licensing authority who issued such license, the chief of police into whose jurisdiction the licensee moves and the executive director of the criminal history systems board of any change of address. Such notification shall be made by certified mail within 30 days of its occurrence. Failure to so notify shall be cause for revocation or suspension of said license.

http://goal.org/masslawpages/moving.html

Massachusetts General Law Chapter 140, section 131(l) states:

Any licensee shall notify, in writing, the licensing authority who issued such license, the chief of police into whose jurisdiction the licensee moves and the executive director of the criminal history systems board of any change of address. Such notification shall be made by certified mail within 30 days of its occurrence. Failure to so notify shall be cause for revocation or suspension of said license.

Thanks. Was just wondering if there's any difference moving from one town to another vs moving within the same town.

It must be sent certified mail to all 3 which is expensive. Why this can't be changed online is beyond me.

There is one other situational where an individual has to notify the police department and a state agency every time they move. It's called the sex offender registration board.

Case and point I know it's the law and I will comply.

However I find this law ridiculous, you should be able to do it online. Last time I moved I think it cost me $18 in certified mail fees.

It is what it is.

The form says you can also call the FRB to notify. Some on here say that's not what the law is and you must do it in writing but I, personally, just called them.

It must be sent certified mail to all 3 which is expensive. Why this can't be changed online is beyond me.

There is one other situational where an individual has to notify the police department and a state agency every time they move. It's called the sex offender registration board.

However I find this law ridiculous, you should be able to do it online. Last time I moved I think it cost me $18 in certified mail fees.

It is what it is.

This law should be repealed completely.

TBH, it shouldn't be required at all. They're treating us like how they treat sex offenders.

It is what it is.
We have unique pin numbers for personal transfers you should just be able to do it in the system but that would be smaaaat and were not smaaat.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

We have unique pin numbers for personal transfers you should just be able to do it in the system but that would be smaaaat and were not smaaat.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

But if they don't know where you ARE, how can they perform a no-knock raid on you?

Local , FRB, and the PD from which you are moving must be notified within 30 days of the move.

WRONG! You never notify anyone because you are moving out . . . only if they issued the LTC do they get notified.

FRB, PD that issued LTC/FID and NEW town PD.

Thanks. Was just wondering if there's any difference moving from one town to another vs moving within the same town.

Yes, you only have to send 2 certified letters (assuming the town you are moving from/to was your issuing authority).

The form says you can also call the FRB to notify. Some on here say that's not what the law is and you must do it in writing but I, personally, just called them.

I would never notify by phone, the law specifically says only by certified mail and offers no alternatives to it.

I really like that idea. However it requires a literal law change and I don't see that happening any time soon.

WRONG! You never notify anyone because you are moving out . . . only if they issued the LTC do they get notified.

FRB, PD that issued LTC/FID and NEW town PD.

Yes, you only have to send 2 certified letters (assuming the town you are moving from/to was your issuing authority).

I would never notify by phone, the law specifically says only by certified mail and offers no alternatives to it.

I really like that idea. However it requires a literal law change and I don't see that happening any time soon.

Issuing authority and local PD are different as this is the 3rd time I'm moving since getting my LTC. So procedure isn't any different moving within the same town than it is moving to a new town. Thanks.

To Len's point, about not using the phone, though it says on "a form," that it's OK. Just as "laws" about blade length on a knife (no more than four fingers) or other 'interpretations' become common knowledge, if you should run into a DH town, that finds out that you did not notify by mail, though that's what the MGLs say, you might be screwed.

Kind of like not using a trigger lock that can be compromised with a screwdriver. It's pointless, but it's the law.

"Some on here say that's not what the law is"?? You make it sound like an urban legend or an old wive's tale. Well, its not. The law CLEARLY spells out what is sufficient. So, those who "say" the law says is must be done in writing ARE NOT WRONG.

"Some on here say that's not what the law is"?? You make it sound like an urban legend or an old wive's tale. Well, its not. The law CLEARLY spells out what is sufficient. So, those who "say" the law says is must be done in writing ARE NOT WRONG.
I didn't say they're wrong, not did I say that notifying by phone is legal. Do some folks on NES say that notifying by phone is not legal, or do they not? Yes or no question, should be pretty easy.

I didn't say they're wrong, not did I say that notifying by phone is legal. Do some folks on NES say that notifying by phone is not legal, or do they not? Yes or no question, should be pretty easy.

NOT legal as it does not comply with the law.

Not legal because the law does not proscribe it as sufficient notification. And yes, people do say it's not legal. Why? Because, like I said, the law specifies what's legal and calling by phone isn't it!

Back
Top Bottom