• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question re: attending SR matches in Mass

The EPO was saying that a semi-auto or pump shotgun that had more than 5 rounds magazine capacity was a large capacity weapon.

I cited:

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section121

and the relevant language: The term ''large capacity weapon'' shall be a secondary designation and shall apply to a weapon in addition to its primary designation as a firearm, rifle or shotgun and shall not include: (i) any weapon that was manufactured in or prior to the year 1899; (ii) any weapon that operates by manual bolt, pump, lever or slide action;

He was not differentiating between removable and fixed mags.

Fixed or detachable makes no difference, both are included in the definition. The shotgun wouldn't be a large capacity weapon, but the magazine (assuming it wasn't pre-ban) attached to it would be a large capacity feeding device. At the end of the day you'd still be on the wrong side of 131M.

The only exemption is for "an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition."

''Large capacity feeding device'', (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or (ii) a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994. The term ''large capacity feeding device'' shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition.

-If one owns a pre-ban AR, can an out of state resident legally bring that to MA for a competition?

Just curious, because of the ARs that I own, one is a pre-ban Colt HBAR.

- can one bring a single shot competition rifle into the state? Say something like the ones below?

1_04_01_16_11_22_08.JPG

-If one owns a pre-ban AR, can an out of state resident legally bring that to MA for a competition?

Just curious, because of the ARs that I own, one is a pre-ban Colt HBAR.

- can one bring a single shot competition rifle into the state? Say something like the ones below?

No to AR w/o a MA NR LTC, felony if caught.

Single shot, yes w/o a MA NR LTC.

I just went and looked at the MA NR LTC requirements. Not yet ready to sign up for a $100/yr + training class fees permit.

Wow, most people from other parts of the US who are involved in shooting know that MA is a truly screwed up place, but you really don't comprehend it until you experience it's effects first hand. [frown]

No to AR w/o a MA NR LTC, felony if caught.

I understand that that's Guida's opinion but it seems to be based on a pretty esoteric theoretical argument. As far as I know there has never been a case to test this theory, and it's one of those gray areas that I don't think the Commonwealth would want to test. They'd have to argue that the exemption in the law is basically a trap, something that even the most marsupial judge would have a hard time letting fly.

In non-theoretical real life competitors from out of state regularly attend matches here.

Been doing it for years.

But now I'm sceered.

I will say this . . .

Until Jason Guida pointed out the problem in the language of that law, everyone including attorneys and police believed it perfectly legal for NRs to come to MA with their handguns/large-capacity long guns to compete. Now that it has been pointed out to not be true, taught to LEOs as such, I'd say that the risk is a lot greater.

BTW, the large-capacity mags made post-9/13/1994 illegality in MA has never been in question, so most of those competing have been violating that law since 1998. Fellow shooters on the line aren't going to care, but if anything happens in MA whereby your stuff gets a close look by LE, you'll be screwed for sure (think auto accident and inventorying the car before being towed).

I just went and looked at the MA NR LTC requirements. Not yet ready to sign up for a $100/yr + training class fees permit.

Wow, most people from other parts of the US who are involved in shooting know that MA is a truly screwed up place, but you really don't comprehend it until you experience it's effects first hand. [frown]

Yeah, it really is like a different country. You would almost expect border control and MA customs at the state borders.
Most MA gun owners have been on the verge of moving to VT or NH for years (on the heels of the more sane shooters who have already left)

As counterintuitive as it may seem, you're almost better off being a Mass resident while competing in SR. Most other states make it much easier to compete as a non resident. If you're good to go in MA you're good to go almost anywhere. Now if you're starting from scratch, and need to buy an AR, not so much.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom