• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question on traveling to So. Carolina

I know a lot of people ask but I would like to know what my options are traveling by car down to So. Carolina for a weeks vacation. Anyone know if I can travel through all those states and then carry? If I can't carry on me while in SC can I keep it locked in the home of the individual I'm staying with? I feel more comfortable traveling 14 hrs w/ a little protection. Thanks for helping.

The big question is, are you legal to possess whatever you are transporting when you arrive in SC. Then transporting secured and unloaded the entire trip should not be a problem.

The big question is, are you legal to possess whatever you are transporting when you arrive in SC. Then transporting secured and unloaded the entire trip should not be a problem.
I was planning on taking my S&W M&P revolver. Nice and light locked up until I reach SC. A back up of pepper/mace and a tactical folder. I hate that I even have to lock it to transport it but the law is the law. I am traveling w/ my wife and 2 young daughters and following down my buddy and his wife and there 2 girls. When I get there I think I can carry on me but I'm trying to search SC laws as I type this.

There are no strict possession laws in SC. So if you're fit to have an LTC here in MA you're also fit to own a handgun in SC, and traveling under FOPA is ok. However, as a MA resident, you won't be able to carry in SC. You can, however, keep a loaded firearm in a closed glove compartment or locked trunk.

So I can keep my M&P locked in my car and drive down to SC and when I get there I must keep it locked in my car at all times or in my friends house, just not on me at any time?

Jammin, here is a link to SC gun law: http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/SCSL.pdf

Please be sure to verify everything you read.
Thanks Cross-X, I hate reading law mumbo jumbo, but I don't see on that page any reason why I couldn't carry while I was down there. They give a list of places you can't carry but I don't see that an out of state individual who is legally able to carry in MA can not do so in SC. Maybe I'm missing something cause jdubois says SC does not allow it.

Maybe I'm missing something cause jdubois says SC does not allow it.

South Carolina's laws (Title 23 Chapter 31 Article 4 Section 215) state that only out of state permits from reciprocal states are honored. MA doesn't honor any out of state permits, so SC doesn't honor ours. They only honor Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Texas, Tennessee, and Wyoming.

Last edited:
Well, that completely screws the pooch.
You said it. I think I will probably have to leave the M&P w/ his buddies at home. Isn't it crazy though if you think about what our rights really are. If I want to leave my house and travel in MA I can protect myself, maybe. But if I want to travel 859 miles So. on an unknown adventure, not knowing whats around the corner I have no rights. Kinda shameful isn't it? I thought this was the land of the free and the home of the brave. Unfortunatley its the land of don't do anything unless you ask the liberal pukes. Just a vent.

Why would you want to stop in DC? Motels are expensive. Keep going into VA. Only a short trip past DC. Planning the trip to miss the rush hours, you can be in VA within about ten hours.

Why would you want to stop in DC? Motels are expensive. Keep going into VA. Only a short trip past DC. Planning the trip to miss the rush hours, you can be in VA within about ten hours.
Our friends that we are following down are the reason. My buddies wife's father lives in DC and it is his vacation home we are staying at on the beach in Myrtle Beach for free. So I guess we are at the whim of our friends, plus with 4 little girls under the age of 6 down to 2yrs old I would think DC would be quite a hall. This is our first time going and they've done this for years and seem to think that this is a good stoping point.

Back
Top Bottom