• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question on transfers for AR15 lower from out of state to MA

weerwolv

NES Member
Hi all,

I've been on here awhile just reading and am more active on AR15.com but have a quick question on transfers.

I recently bought a pre-ban Bushmaster AR15 lower from an individual through the equipment exchange on AR15.com.

I sent him a copy of my dealers FFL (AFS) so he could ship it to them directly per the law.

Went down to AFS last night to pick it up and they said they couldn't transfer it to me without also getting a copy of the sellers dealer FFL.

Is this the normal process? I want to make sure I didn't screw something up.

The fellow I bought it from did a direct ship from his home to AFS. I thought that was good enough for the law. Did I miss something?

-Chris

Talk with Matt on Friday at AFS!

The law (Fed) ONLY requires that the controlled part be shipped TO an FFL for transfer. The shipper can legally be the owner or another FFL (2 FFL transfer fees).

NOTHING in the law requires it to be an FFL-FFL transfer.

However, many receiving FFLs demand that everything be an FFL-FFL transfer. They are business men/women and have that right, but it is poor business practice to piss off your customers.

The shipper should offer to send AFS some sort of ID (copy of CCW or DL or both) so that AFS can log it into their books properly. Fed law does require that they get ID info from shipper (FFL info or DL/CCW info).

See if AFS will work with you on this. If you are a regular customer, they should do so.

Thanks Len,

I am a member there. Was before as well before they went downhill and then left when I thought it was going nowhere.

They've really cleaned things up there and its a pleasure to actually go in and shoot.

Plus the crew there is really friendly and the retail section keeps getting better.

-Chris

Chris,

I agree. It looks like it is coming along nicely.

Matt advised me that he won't be at AFS until Friday, so give him a call tomorrow and see what can be worked out.

Back
Top Bottom