Question on transfer from out of state

chopper_man

Army Veteran
NES Member
Question for the group. Hypothetical of course. Say there was someone in a neighboring free state who had a pistol frame that a MA person wanted to buy. Could said free state'r bring that frame to a LGS in MA for transfer to the MA person? Or must the frame go FFL to FFL? Would the answer change if the frame was at one time a complete pistol in that free state?
Thanks!
-Brian

Last edited:
You can bring the frame to the MA FFL for transfer to the MA resident. knfmn is saying you can't do a private sale, which is not what you were asking anyways.

You can bring the frame to the MA FFL for transfer to the MA resident. knfmn is saying you can't do a private sale, which is not what you were asking anyways.
Correct. I didn't fully read. Apologies. Having said that, there is no way I would bring a frame into this state if I wasn't licensed here. (No clue if your buddy is or not) just find an FFL in state who will accept the transfer from one out of state and enjoy your new toy.

Correct. I didn't fully read. Apologies. Having said that, there is no way I would bring a frame into this state if I wasn't licensed here. (No clue if your buddy is or not) just find an FFL in state who will accept the transfer from one out of state and enjoy your new toy.

While I wouldn't advise bringing a frame into MA without an LTC, it isn't illegal to do so, since a frame is not capable of firing a shot nor should it be considered readily repairable into firing a shot. It also isn't illegal for an individual to ship a frame directly to an FFL, but you cannot use USPS, you must use FedEx, UPS, etc

If he does this make sure that he does NOT have the rest of the parts in the car when he's in MA (unless he has a MA NR LTC).

Alternatively, meet your friend in the neighboring state, take possession of the frame before passing in to MA, then head to the FFL to do the transfer. That way you avoid any potential "possession without LTC" issues.

Got a bit of conflicting info when I talked to my LGS yesterday. They said because it is considered a firearm in the eyes of the Feds that it needs to go FFL to FFL. Should I find a new LGS for this or are they correct?

Got a bit of conflicting info when I talked to my LGS yesterday. They said because it is considered a firearm in the eyes of the Feds that it needs to go FFL to FFL. Should I find a new LGS for this or are they correct?

They are half-correct. The feds do in fact consider the frame to be a firearm. It does need to be transferred to you by an FFL in your state of residence since it is not a long gun. However, it does not need to go FFL to FFL. It can be sent directly to an FFL by the current owner, or you and the current owner can go in person to the FFL and have it transferred.

Some FFLs will not accept shipments from individuals as a matter of company policy, but it is not against the law for them to accept them.

So I have a hypothetical question also let's say after the transfer the new owner found a bag of parts to complete the firearm now what would it need to be registered as a firearm

The efa10 would need to be filed the moment it was capable of firing a shot or the swat teams are going to descend on it and kill every small pet near it. Or, if you ever get jammed, its an extra charge that will stick.

Back
Top Bottom