• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question on the CMP M1 Carbines

I have never bought or even seen any rifles that guys have bought from the CMP so I have a few questions if you bear with me.

Regarding the CMP M1 Carbines:

From the CMP website:
M1 Carbine Service Grade
Carbines have been rebuilt and refinished at least once and will exhibit in most cases varying degrees of wear on many of the parts and generally no noticeable or significant pitting on metal. All the carbines have late features - such as adjustable sights (heavily staked) with bayonet lug bands and rotary safeties. Metal parts are mixed USGI. There are no carbines with early features. Muzzle will gauge 3 or less on muzzle gauge. Stocks will be replacement Italian marked M2 type birch or beech pot belly or USGI walnut but having seen heavy use with possible rebuild marks (no original stock cartouches remain). Most stocks have the “FAT” stamp / cartouche (Fabbrica Armi Terni ).

The first carbine to be sold have been in storage in (Italy) and the USA, for many years, I assume
When them ship one to you they grab one out of the crate and off it goes; Any type of warrenty?
You get a mixmaster rifle.
The price as I have read in several forums is @ $500. plus shipping.

I guess my question is, is the rifle you get worth $500.00, sight unseen. For another $100~$200. you can select one at a gun show or at your local gunshop or on Gunbroker.com

I don't see what all the big deal is about.

The price from the CMP e-mail lists at $495 and Inlands will be the first ones for sale with orders starting April 30th.

The allure of a CMP rifle is that they are what they are. They are handled to check them out and are still in cosmoline. $495 is still high but is still too pricey for me. I can't understand a $700+ price that the guy at the gun shows sells them for.

Joe R.

The CMP is pretty good at standing behind what they sell. If you have a problem they will always make it right. A lot of FFLs will just tell you to go screw if you have a problem. I've wanted an M1 Carbine for a while but wouldn't pay the $600-$700 price some vendors sell them for. $495 is still high, but cheaper then the market is right now. I've got my paperwork ready, but am still on the fence. The plus side is, you will not loose in this investment. The prices will continue to go up once the CMP has sold out.

I thought these were surplus and supposed to be inexpensive. Anything over $150 seems high for surplus, no?

I thought these were surplus and supposed to be inexpensive. Anything over $150 seems high for surplus, no?

Right.

That would explain all those $79.95 Lugers and Waffenamt P-38s, Liberator pistols and Singer 1911s flooding the auction sites. [rolleyes]

Don't mind me - I'm just bitter because the bottom fell out of the M1-D market.........

Last edited:
I'm holding off ordering until I read some feedback from the 'gotta-have-it-nows'. [smile]

But, just so I cold feel like I made some move towards owning one, I ordered a couple of slings and oilers from Numrich [smile] (no go on the mags... they won't ship here [sad2] ).

Well, tell you what, you find some surplus carbines in G/VG condition for 150, let me know where so I can tell them their price is too high.

Okay. My paperwork is notarized and ready to go. The cost is sitting in the bank and burning a hole in my pocket. [wink]

I assume it'll get shipped in its cosmo... will need to get checked out by a qualified gunsmith.

Anyone NESters going to be open for M1 checkup business? [smile]

Okay. My paperwork is notarized and ready to go. The cost is sitting in the bank and burning a hole in my pocket. [wink]

I assume it'll get shipped in its cosmo... will need to get checked out by a qualified gunsmith.

Anyone NESters going to be open for M1 checkup business? [smile]

The CMP smiths will probably clean-up the majority of the cosmoline as part of the inspection process. How much of it will be left up to the buyer to clean is anyones guess (and from what I've read... these things are really packed with cosmo).

I wouldn't be concerned about taking it to a gunsmith. The CMP smiths will inspect, check headspace, throat/barrel erosion as part of the grading process.

I already bought a dozen mags on and two slings and oilers. [grin]

I'm going to wait awhile before I actually decide to buy one of the Inlands.

I'll be waiting on guys like you to post the first reports before I rush out and buy one. [wink]

Yep, as listed above. The CMP gunsmiths will have gone thru and checked all the necessary measurements and replace what is needed. The cosmoline will be there on the parts but not caked on like a milsurp you'd get from Interordnance. There should be a tag on it that shows what it is and what the throat and muzzle erosion is. You can just clean and start shooting. I bought my M-1 Garand at Camp Perry a couple of years ago and got it the next day after getting there and cleanup of the cosmo was easy compared to the other rifles I have. Took it to the CMP van and had the gun gone over again just because it was free and they tightened up the gas cylinder fit to the barrel. Rifle shoots like a champ!

Joe R.

When I think "surplus", I still think of old and cheap. Picture the ads you used to see about crated WWII Jeeps for $100 or whatever in the back of magazines in the 70's. I think of Army/Navy surplus stores where you used to get a canteen or entrenchment tool (shovel!) or some other curious but useful relic for short money.

I can't even imagine what kind of awesome (in today's world, junk then) new Jeeps or other fun things were dumped in the oceans after the war ended.

The CMP smiths will probably clean-up the majority of the cosmoline as part of the inspection process. How much of it will be left up to the buyer to clean is anyones guess (and from what I've read... these things are really packed with cosmo).

I wouldn't be concerned about taking it to a gunsmith. The CMP smiths will inspect, check headspace, throat/barrel erosion as part of the grading process.

I already bought a dozen mags on and two slings and oilers. [grin]

I'm going to wait awhile before I actually decide to buy one of the Inlands.

I'll be waiting on guys like you to post the first reports before I rush out and buy one. [wink]

Any chance you could PM me your source for mags? So far I've been coming up short or seeing $30 per mag prices.

Back
Top Bottom