Question on some reload 45acp

Terry Schultz

NES Member
I recently acquired a Kimber Target II in 45acp. It came with a bunch of extras. One of the extras was about 8 boxes of 45 reloads. The recipe on the boxes says that it is Win. 231 5.4 gr. over a 230gr. lead bullet. I shot about 3 boxes of them and they seamed kind of strong with big recoil. I checked the recipe on the Winchester site and the starting load is 4.3 gr. and the max is 5.3 gr. (16,900 CUP). Since this is 0.1gr. over the max are they still safe to shoot? The guy I got the gun from has been shooting them right along without any problems. I would like to shoot them up before I start into the ones “I” reload with a softer recoil. What say you?

Rule of thumb is never shoot other people's reloads in "your" guns .....unless you trust their reloading skill implicitly.

If you already reload, why not just pull down the remaining boxes and adjust the load to your comfort level? Its a pain in the ass but you'll know what you have when you're done.

The Hornady 10th ed. I am looking at lists starting load of 5.0gn @750fps, 5.4gn @800fps and a max load of 5.8gn @850fps for a 230gn LRN using Win 231.

IMO, using reloads someone else made is like using someone elses [used] condom... Sure, you COULD do it, but why the F would you want to? Even IF the recipe is noted, you have no idea if it's actually what's inside (especially for powder charge).

So....you shot 3 boxes of this stuff, noted it was a bit on the warm side, said the previous owner had no problems, and THEN ask if its ok to shoot them because its .1 gr over some recipe in a book? The recipe is only good for same brass/bullet/powder mentioned.

As.mentioned reloads , unless from a.reputable licensed reloader , are a big no no.

The Hornady 10th ed. I am looking at lists starting load of 5.0gn @750fps, 5.4gn @800fps and a max load of 5.8gn @850fps for a 230gn LRN using Win 231.
So this load is correct for the gun. That is not what the Winchester site says but if it is a published load then I should be OK shooting them.
IMO, using reloads someone else made is like using someone elses [used] condom... Sure, you COULD do it, but why the F would you want to? Even IF the recipe is noted, you have no idea if it's actually what's inside (especially for powder charge).
I know the person that loaded them and I trust his ability to load well. I think I will sight the gun in using my loads and then use his reloads for plinking until they are all gone.
Thanks for the help.

Are you sure the recipe you saw on the Winchester site was for a LEAD bullet and not a jacketed one of the same weight?

If you’ve already shot three boxes and they all
seem to be consistent, shoot the rest of them and
then start over by doing it yourself. Then take
the advice of others——only shoot your own reloads.

Are you sure the recipe you saw on the Winchester site was for a LEAD bullet and not a jacketed one of the same weight?

I double checked the site. He's right. And jacketed isn't that much different. That seems to be significantly different #'s.

I wanna say I used to use 5.1gr. I think. I THINK! My book is with my buddy that took all my reloading stuff.

If you continue to shoot those rounds I would put an 18.5lb recoil spring in that gun if I were you. Otherwise, like another member said, pull all the rest of those rounds and re-do them.

Stop shooting someone else's reloads. You already know that even if he didn't screw up and double charge one, they're slightly over max. Take them apart and make the light loads you prefer to shoot.

I would have more of a problem shooting someone else's reloads then I would with that powder charge . I'm not very trusting when it comes to my guns and fingers. And I assume you wear eye protection

OP let me help you rephrase the question: what's sillier, shooting someone else's reloads or seeking approval to shoot them? Plus it's a kimber...what could possibly go wrong.

Back
Top Bottom