• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question on Question #4

Hey everyone, new member here. I'm applying for my LTC and on the application (obviously everyone knows) question number 4 states "have you ever been arrested or appeared in court as a defendant for any criminal offense." The second part I know I haven't, the first part I'm not sure about. This was back in my teens, me and two friends at the time were pulled over searched, I was placed in cuffs and placed in the back seat of cruiser. Then I was released on scene, never went to the police station, never went to court, never charged with anything, and never paid any ticket. One of the other kids was charged with larceny. So my question is was I arrested? Should I disclose this when I go in to the pd to apply? I know I only get one shot at applying so I don't want to mess up. Thanks for the help in advance

if they did not say "you are under arrest" and you never made it to the police station and were never booked, finger printed and processed then I would say you were never arrested. But IANAL so i will defer to anyone else..

if they did not say "you are under arrest" and you never made it to the police station and were never booked, finger printed and processed then I would say you were never arrested. But IANAL so i will defer to anyone else..

I agree. I technically think they call that "protective custody" as they sort out a situation. If you were released then you weren't arrested.

I agree with both you guys. I just want to double check to make sure. Other then that one incident, I've never been in trouble with the law. Don't want to answer no and then something pops up.

If you want to be sure, you could go to the police station and ask if you know the date?

If you want to be sure, you could go to the police station and ask if you know the date?

It was 15+ years ago. I have no paperwork of any kind. I just remember being pulled over, cuffed, placed in cruiser and then released on scene. never booked, fingerprinted. never went to court for anything. The only other thing I remember is that my mother knew some of the cops at the time and one of them she knew told her that it would not go on my record

It was 15+ years ago. I have no paperwork of any kind. I just remember being pulled over, cuffed, placed in cruiser and then released on scene. never booked, fingerprinted. never went to court for anything. The only other thing I remember is that my mother knew some of the cops at the time and one of them she knew told her that it would not go on my record

It may help to go and ask them if you're in any of their records. The someone told someone else that it won't go on my record (for me) is not solid enough to answer no on that application. It's a one time deal, better to run through some simple due diligence than potentially ruin your chance.

Or, if you're in a green town just say yes and explain it.

It may help to go and ask them if you're in any of their records. The someone told someone else that it won't go on my record (for me) is not solid enough to answer no on that application. It's a one time deal, better to run through some simple due diligence than potentially ruin your chance.

Or, if you're in a green town just say yes and explain it.

I agree that someone saying that it wont go on my record is not solid enough. I thought about just mentioning it to the licensing clerk when I go and see what she says. I am in a green town. I guess being up front is better then not mentioning anything and if something for whatever reason does pop up then at least I was truthful about it. The only reason I'm nervous mentioning it is because the other kid was charged with larceny took his uncle's pellet gun and had it in the vehicle with us and someone knew about it and called the cops and told them we had a real gun. So I'm hoping that if I have to mention it that I don't have to go into that much detail.

It can't be put in the record if you were never booked/fingerprinted/photographed. Therefore if the above is correct, this is a non-event and not an arrest for legal purposes. You were detained, it may feel the same, but there is a huge legal distinction between the two.

Answer No safely.

It can't be put in the record if you were never booked/fingerprinted/photographed. Therefore if the above is correct, this is a non-event and not an arrest for legal purposes. You were detained, it may feel the same, but there is a huge legal distinction between the two.

Answer No safely.

Thanks

This is just me, but I would not do this. Just "mentioning" it can turn into much more when it comes to applying for your gun license.

I'd rather not say anything if I don't need to. I just don't know how the background check system works. I don't want to answer no to the question and then something pops up

That would be a no. Somebody who will remain nameless had a similar situation. Hooky from school, cuffed and stuffed in a paddy wagon at the mall. Brought back to school and had some underwear staining scares with the 'talk' but nothing else happened.

That would be a no. Somebody who will remain nameless had a similar situation. Hooky from school, cuffed and stuffed in a paddy wagon at the mall. Brought back to school and had some underwear staining scares with the 'talk' but nothing else happened.

Does this person have their LTC?

I'd rather not say anything if I don't need to. I just don't know how the background check system works. I don't want to answer no to the question and then something pops up

Do you or your mom have any LEO friends? If so ask one of them to run the BOP on you. Then you'll know for sure what the licensing officer will see.

Do you or your mom have any LEO friends? If so ask one of them to run the BOP on you. Then you'll know for sure what the licensing officer will see.

Sweet so you are asking somebody to do something illegal that potentially could get somebody fired. It doesn't matter if it is done or not, people do get caught running illegal BOPs and from time to time the CHSB likes to make an example.

Tell me do you advocate that somebody go out and rob a bank too? [rolleyes]

You write some very good things, but this is not one of them.

I am not giving you opinion here, but fact based on my own observation based on experience. People do get burned running illegal BOPs.

And this person didn't mention it during LTC application process?

Even if you have been arrested, that isn't a dead sentence for an LTC, even an unrestricted.

I would stop by the district court for that town/city and ask them to print the record for you. If they look you up and say there is no record of an arrest or case for you, there is you definitive answer.

From the sounds of it, you were only detained and not arrested. But there are sometimes when people are not arrested at the scene but summoned to court. It doesn't sound like this was the case for you either.

Even if you have been arrested, that isn't a dead sentence for an LTC, even an unrestricted.

I would stop by the district court for that town/city and ask them to print the record for you. If they look you up and say there is no record of an arrest or case for you, there is you definitive answer.

From the sounds of it, you were only detained and not arrested. But there are sometimes when people are not arrested at the scene but summoned to court. It doesn't sound like this was the case for you either.

I have never been to court for anything, that I do know. I was never summoned for anything regarding my incident, or anything else.

I have never been to court for anything, that I do know. I was never summoned for anything regarding my incident, or anything else.

It sounds like you were detained, nothing more. There are no records kept for that. I was detained a few times in my youth [smile]

What in the hell are you going to tell the licencing Dept. That one time in your life the police pulled you over put cuffs on you touched your pee-pee to make sure you didn't have any weapons on you then let you go?

Back
Top Bottom