Question on possession of certain rifles in MA

It seems by definition an SKS in standard configuration (10 round fixed mag) is good to go in MA.

But a regular old 10/22 isn't because it's capable of accepting a 'large' capacity magazine?

The situation is I'm a resident of PA and I'm going to be in MA for a couple of weeks and want to bring some sort firearm along for no specific purpose. I'm between:

1) Mossberg 500
2) SKS
3) 10/22 take down
4) Ruger PC carbine

The latter two would be the most convenient because of the takedown mechanism, but I'm uncertain of their status due to the ability to take numerous configurations of magazines.

Also perhaps I'm beating a dead horse, but the fact remains the statutes are very confusing. If you don't want to reply with anything of substance except to point out the beating of said horse, please don't.

Thanks!

If you don't have a license in MA (MA LTC or FID) you're likely riding dirty, in other words, if you care this much about the lawrs, you probably shouldn't be bringing anything. Not even ammunition. There are limited competition and hunting exemptions under MGL, but there's a sort of debate as to whether or not those exemptions are even legally valid. Nobody I know has ever had any trouble running under an exemption, but these same guys also don't go "HEY OFFICER LOOK AT THE GUNS I HAVE IN MY TRUNK WITH NO LTC!" etc when pulled over for some
stupid traffic infraction, etc. I am going to hazard a guess that 99.9% of the time this exemption never gets tested because most people in this situation keep their stuff tucked away in their vehicle while under transport (hidden and FOPA compliant at least, relevance of FOPA set aside regardless) and pretty much operate by what I call "big kid rules. "

-Mike

Bringing A firearm,rifle,or shotgun with out the proper papers will get you a free stay in the gulag comrade.

Mass requires paperwork to posses firearms, hell - they require paperwork to posses ammunition. You're not legal in Massachusetts, therefore (as Mike alluded to), you're not covered under FOPA. FOPA says you can transport unloaded firearms if you're legal in origin and destination. So, not only are you not legal in Mass, but you're not legal in any of the states you're passing through.

You have to do a risk/reward evaluation and decide what you want to do.

Personally speaking, caveats, etc. - I've taken firearms into Mass but ONLY for competitions, and they've gone locked up and discreetly stowed. If you have a friend in Mass, you're probably better off going to the range with them and using their firearms. Or take your firearms, keep them discreet and realize that you're breaking laws and there's a risk if you get caught.

Final note, the last two are not illegal to possess, but any magazines of more than 10 rounds are a felony, MA license notwithstanding.

Let me put it this way, Massachusetts statutes are horribly written and annoying, even for lawyers and judges. Organization of Massachusetts statutes borders on Kafka-esque absurdity, like G.L. c. 265, s. 13D 1/2:

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter265/Section13D1~2

HOW CAN YOU HAVE HALF OF A STATUTE? And that's not the worst, I've seen 7/8.

If you're absolutely insistent on bringing a long gun into Mass for no specific reason, I suggest:

*Not doing so;
*Staying in PA;
*Applying for a Mass non-resident license to carry and bringing a typical CCW of ten rounds or less (yeah there's pre-ban, etc., but he won't have a stock of $200 Glock mags);
*Staying in RI or NH or VT with the gun kept there and visiting Mass as needed, depending on the purpose of the visit; or
*Not outing yourself on a public BBM forum that's monitored by the state prosecutorial agency while Quixotically attempting to comply with a law you don't understand.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems by definition an SKS in standard configuration (10 round fixed mag) is good to go in MA.

But a regular old 10/22 isn't because it's capable of accepting a 'large' capacity magazine?

The situation is I'm a resident of PA and I'm going to be in MA for a couple of weeks and want to bring some sort firearm along for no specific purpose. I'm between:

1) Mossberg 500
2) SKS
3) 10/22 take down
4) Ruger PC carbine

The latter two would be the most convenient because of the takedown mechanism, but I'm uncertain of their status due to the ability to take numerous configurations of magazines.

Also perhaps I'm beating a dead horse, but the fact remains the statutes are very confusing. If you don't want to reply with anything of substance except to point out the beating of said horse, please don't.

Thanks!
As others have stated ......you need a license to posess fire arms and ammunition in mass. If you don't have a mass fire arms license you would be breaking the law even if you brought a single shot shotgun into mass if mass is your destination.

The "competition exemption" is vaguely written.....so it's up to you on using that one.

Another exemptionndoes exist for an out of stater bringing a fire arm into mass but it's for hunting. You can bring a long gun into mass to hunt with without a license.....but you have to have a mass hunting license, it has to be open season for hunting, and your fire arm must be legal to use on the game animal your are hunting at that time.

the career criminal who'll be sharing a cell with you for several months is gonna have a hard time respecting you, taking your crime seriously and keeping a straight face when you mention "10/22 takedown." just sayin'. lol

Thank you for the replies. The responses seem to conflict with the sticky up top "Non-residents: Legal Info on bringing guns into Mass for competition or hunting". That thread reads like legal rifles and shotguns don't need a competition or hunting exemption, but I suppose that's not the case unfortunately.

Thank you for the replies. The responses seem to conflict with the sticky up top "Non-residents: Legal Info on bringing guns into Mass for competition or hunting". That thread reads like legal rifles and shotguns don't need a competition or hunting exemption, but I suppose that's not the case unfortunately.
You talking about this part of that stickey?

For non-residents bringing in rifles and shotguns, the law is fairly simple regarding who is exempt from licensing. In short, if it's legal to possess them in your home state, you can possess them in Mass. This is covered under Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 140 Section 129C (specifically sections (f), (g), (h), (i) and (p)), which says:

It's clearly saying if your claiming the hunting or competition exemption (as those exemptions are in the title of that thread)....you can bring a long gun Into the state with no license....and if that particular gun is legal for the non resident to posess.....it's legal in mass when claiming the exemption.

Where are you failing to comprehend?

Are you coming to mass for a registered competiton? Are you prepared to prove that your going to a competition?

The vagueness of the law is in what constitutes a competition......a monthly plate shoot at the local fish and game may......or may not.....qualify. shooting with your buddy most certainly will not qualify

Last edited:
You talking about this part of that stickey?

For non-residents bringing in rifles and shotguns, the law is fairly simple regarding who is exempt from licensing. In short, if it's legal to possess them in your home state, you can possess them in Mass. This is covered under Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 140 Section 129C (specifically sections (f), (g), (h), (i) and (p)), which says:

It's clearly saying if your claiming the hunting or competition exemption (as those exemptions are in the title of the f***ing thread)....you can bring a long gun Into the state with no license....and if that particular gun is legal for the non resident to posess.....it's legal in mass when claiming the exemption.

Where are you failing to comprehend?

Are you coming to mass for a registered competiton? Are you prepared to prove that your going to a competition?

The vagueness of the law is in what constitutes a competition......a monthly plate shoot at the local fish and game may......or may not.....qualify. shooting with your buddy most certainly will not qualify

Yeah the word "compete", the base verb of "competition", means "to strive consciously or unconsciously for an objective (such as position, profit, or a prize) : be in a state of rivalry."

Definition of COMPETE

Subsection (g) applies at, basically, a range; (i) is basically a gun show; and (p) is a black powder shoot. Nothing in the statute implies the legality of a non-resident to come in and, say, shoot up a stump in a backyard.

Hunting... do I even need to pull out the dictionary for hunting?

Yeah the word "compete", the base verb of "competition", means "to strive consciously or unconsciously for an objective (such as position, profit, or a prize) : be in a state of rivalry."

Definition of COMPETE

Subsection (g) applies at, basically, a range; (i) is basically a gun show; and (p) is a black powder shoot. Nothing in the statute implies the legality of a non-resident to come in and, say, shoot up a stump in a backyard.

Hunting... do I even need to pull out the dictionary for hunting?
The hunting exemption in the green suit side is more detailed.....and actually quite specific.

1. Valid ma non resident hunting license
2. It is open season for a game animal
3. The long gun must be legal to use on the game that is in open season

You are not going to be able to claim the hunting exemption during spring turkey season toting an AR variant.

1) Mossberg 500
2) SKS
3) 10/22 take down
4) Ruger PC carbine

Thanks!
Here's what happens when your in mass with fire arms and are not a resident and don't have a non res ltc.....and you run out of gas. Guy was from Salem NH......took his girlfriend to a nh range..... Then drove back to mass to drop her off and ran out of gas. After reading this.......you probably have all the answers you need. Guy didn't do anything other than drive about 3 miles into mass to drop his gf off.......

Here's what happens when your in mass with fire arms and are not a resident and don't have a non res ltc.....and you run out of gas. Guy was from Salem NH......took his girlfriend to a nh range..... Then drove back to mass to drop her off and ran out of gas. After reading this.......you probably have all the answers you need. Guy didn't do anything other than drive about 3 miles into mass to drop his gf off.......

A woman, Bridget Perron, 42, was sitting in the passenger's side of the Impala. A "black knife and a hand grenade" were hanging from the rear view mirror of the car, Padellaro said. The hand grenade was a non-working replica.

Padellaro asked Perron if she had any weapons that could harm him and she replied no. But Padellaro said there were four "gun stickers" and "logos" on the car which made him suspicious.

And this is why I don't have gun stickers on my truck.

Back
Top Bottom