• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question on New Hampshire ATV trails.

roccoracer

NES Member
I had the idea of taking my son on an overnight trail ride. I am a non resident and have bever been on the trails before.
Do you have an advice or warnings about an overnight trip? I would be using my Ranger 900xp with a full cab, is this too big for the trails. The width is 60 inches.
Is there still the dumb law that I cannot have a pistol on me without the permit. I did not renew after constitutional carry passed and certainly do not want to be unarmed.
What is the cost for the registration and do I need insurance?
Thank you

You'll be legal at certain trails, some not. Up north is where you'll need to go. No insurance necessary. Technically, you can't carry concealed on an ATV without a state permit (it's a hunting regulation from fish and game laws), but concealed is concealed. It's not like youre gonna be checked.

You'll be legal at certain trails, some not. Up north is where you'll need to go. No insurance necessary. Technically, you can't carry concealed on an ATV without a state permit (it's a hunting regulation from fish and game laws), but concealed is concealed. It's not like youre gonna be checked.
Can I just open carry?

I have not checked since the new year but as far as I know...

You need a pistol/revolver license to carry while riding and ATV or snowmobile. They are trying to repeal this but I don’t think it has happened yet.

A lot of trails throughout the state have steel gates so only certain sized vehicles will fit through. I don’t know what the measurement is. (My boss has a house in the white mountains and he bought a Polaris RZR for that reason, not sure what size).

Jericho Park does not have gates and is open to ride.

Insurance is not required in NH. Be aware of where you are because if you cross into VT then insurance IS needed. Not sure about other surrounding states.

Watch your speed (especially on the main corridors and straight always). With the warmer weather tons of people hit the trails and cops are out more. They do set speed traps and can pick you off a long ways away. And please don’t be an ass and go off trail on people private property. That’s how trails get shut down.

I have not checked since the new year but as far as I know...

You need a pistol/revolver license to carry while riding and ATV or snowmobile. They are trying to repeal this but I don’t think it has happened yet.

A lot of trails throughout the state have steel gates so only certain sized vehicles will fit through. I don’t know what the measurement is. (My boss has a house in the white mountains and he bought a Polaris RZR for that reason, not sure what size).

Jericho Park does not have gates and is open to ride.

Insurance is not required in NH. Be aware of where you are because if you cross into VT then insurance IS needed. Not sure about other surrounding states.

Watch your speed (especially on the main corridors and straight always). With the warmer weather tons of people hit the trails and cops are out more. They do set speed traps and can pick you off a long ways away. And please don’t be an ass and go off trail on people private property. That’s how trails get shut down.
Thank you for all the information. I would obey all of the speed limits and trail rules. Inwant to enjoy the ride without worrying.

I suggest reading the RSAs rather than 3rd party website interpretations of law. Personally I only use handgunlaw.us to get to the state links (any state) to determine what is legal or not.

$75 or so..goes from July to July...so if you buy a tag now it expires this July...Can buy the tags in NH obviously,or select MA dealers.

They actually sell a 14 month reg. It is available now. It costs a couple bucks more, but if you plan to ride before July 1, then it is a good deal as it wont expire until 7/1/2020.

Also, join a club and you get a discount. Mount Moosilauke club has the lowest club membership fee, so that's a good one to join since the club fee is less than the discount you get and you can join online.

Isn’t the state park in Berlin set up for ATVers?

I took my son to a campground in Abbott, Maine and we rode motorcycles from there, but everyone else was riding ATV’s. We had a terrific time.

I would not be driving fast, my Ranger does not like to go over 55. I would probably only drive around 40 mph. I plan on bringing a tent and camping just off the trail somewhere if that is legal.

Please do not drive 40 mph. Most trails are limited to 25mph. And the northern counties have been having trouble keeping trails open, one of the main complaints is excessive speed.

If you are camping trailside, remember most trails in NH are on private property. So seek permission from owners, or opt for a campground, a few that come to mind are in Berlin, Pittsburg, and North Stratford.

I downloaded the rules and regs. It looks like it is just shotguns, rifles and crossbows that cannot be carried loaded. View attachment 283245
Rifles unloaded on/in vehicles of any kind is a different issue.
I don’t know for sure if open carry makes it ok.
Even so, guns aren’t as big of a deal in NH as in mass so unless you’re getting pinched for something stupid it really shouldn’t be an issue.

Please do not drive 40 mph. Most trails are limited to 25mph. And the northern counties have been having trouble keeping trails open, one of the main complaints is excessive speed.

If you are camping trailside, remember most trails in NH are on private property. So seek permission from owners, or opt for a campground, a few that come to mind are in Berlin, Pittsburg, and North Stratford.
Now that I read the regs I know the speed limits and will not be exceeding them.

The way I understand it (and my expertise in NH law is nowhere near as comprehensive as MA laws), it is illegal to carry a loaded handgun on an ATV unless you possess a NH P/R License (Resident or NR).

I just looked thru the F&G regs and can't find it however. I recall folks talking about a bill that would make it legal without a P/R License but didn't think that it actually passed into law. Someone more knowledgeable perhaps can educate all of us?

Section 215-A:20 remains in effect, alas.

From CHAPTER 215-A OFF HIGHWAY RECREATIONAL VEHICLES AND TRAILS
215-A:20 Loaded Firearms Forbidden. – No person shall carry on an OHRV, or a trailer towed by same, any firearms unless said firearm is unloaded. This section shall not apply to law enforcement officers carrying firearms in the course of duty or to pistols carried under a permit issued pursuant to the authority of RSA 159.

From CHAPTER 207 GENERAL PROVISIONS AS TO FISH AND GAME, Loaded now means,
"XIV-a. Loaded: A round or projectile in the chamber fully dischargeable by pulling the trigger."

Isn’t the state park in Berlin set up for ATVers?

I took my son to a campground in Abbott, Maine and we rode motorcycles from there, but everyone else was riding ATV’s. We had a terrific time.

Jericho State Park is in Berlin and has access points in Gorham. It becomes an UTV festival every weekend around July/August.

Also keep in mind, most trails do not open until May 23rd. This includes Jericho.

They got a metric assload of snow in the north country this year. It's likely that some of the wetter ATV trails will not open up on time.

The BOT keeps this page up to date weekly: NH State Parks : Welcome

Side note about speeds: They are 25MPH and some are posted slower to keep the dust down around camps and peoples homes. This is becoming a huge issue up there. This town meeting season there were questions on town ballots to close roads to ATV's (they failed or were tabled).

I think it comes down to common sense....if you see someone's house slow the hell down. In the middle of nowhere hammer down when its safe to do so. In Jericho F&G is everywhere on the weekends...anything over 30-35MPH is likely to get you a ticket.

I suggest reading the RSAs rather than 3rd party website interpretations of law. Personally I only use handgunlaw.us to get to the state links (any state) to determine what is legal or not.
Section 215-A:20 remains in effect, alas.
LOL.

Len, it's true that the OP cribbed that bogus excerpt(*) from
a PDF hosted on the J.F. Griffin publishing company's "eregulations.com".

The state evidently contracts with Griffin to publish the glossy guide
in order to offset costs via paid advertising.
(At least I hope that explains the last page).

But the document is actually New Hampshire F&G's
"2018/19 New Hampshire OHRV & Snowmobile Digest of Regulations".

And by "Digest", they mean:
This publication is a summary of New Hampshire Off-Highway
Recreational Vehicle and snowmobile statutes; it is not the complete law
or rules. The official laws or rules may be examined at: Legislative
Services, New Hampshire State House, Concord, N.H., nh.gov.​

This is why I don't even trust legal summaries published by governments.
They tend to be full of nonsense absent from the actual laws.

E.g., the claim that a kayak carrying a camp stove
in a dry bag in a cargo compartment needs a fire extinguisher.
(Just in case there's a grease fire when cooking while underway).

Rule of thumb: if a peace officer consults a glossy digest,
you're screwed - the law you're charged with may not even exist.
(Especially in New Hampshire).
-----
(*) Bogus excerpt: never even hints that loaded handguns
also can't be transported via an OHRV when relying on constitutional carry.

I had the idea of taking my son on an overnight trail ride. I am a non resident and have bever been on the trails before.
Do you have an advice or warnings about an overnight trip? I would be using my Ranger 900xp with a full cab, is this too big for the trails. The width is 60 inches.
Is there still the dumb law that I cannot have a pistol on me without the permit. I did not renew after constitutional carry passed and certainly do not want to be unarmed.
What is the cost for the registration and do I need insurance?
Thank you
As far as camping in national forests you can legally pitch a tent back country style if your more than 200 feet from the trail or a body of water and more than 1/4 mile from an established hut or campground. Just some info that alot of folks don't know. My son and I back country camp in the whites a bit.....just walk 200 feet off the trail and find a good spot in the woods for the night.

If your on an ATV trail you'd have to find a trail that is in the white mountain national forest......but most ATV trails go through state and private land so may not work for you.

White Mountain National Forest - Camping & Cabins:Dispersed Camping

If your on an ATV trail you'd have to find a trail that is in the white mountain national forest......but most ATV trails go through state and private land so may not work for you.

You aren't going to find any such trails these days. There used to be plenty back in the day, but no longer.

On/near trail camping places I can recommend:

1) Jericho (~$25/night for tent site) Jericho Mountain State Park, New Hampshire - Camping & Reservations | ReserveAmerica. Nice place right on the trails. Tends to get booked up. You can do Jericho park, and make a loop up into Millisfield's system comfortably in a day. Access to food is in Gorham right off the trail.

2) Coleman state park (~$25/night for tent site) Coleman State Park, New Hampshire - Camping Reservations & Campgrounds | ReserveAmerica. Not very crowded, right on the trails. If you want to make last minute plans there are often sites available a couple days prior. You can do a nice 70 mile loop thru Colebrook and Pittsburg from here. Access to food in West Stewartston and in Pittsburg. You must visit the Buck Rub Pub CT Lakes Pittsburg NH Dining Lodging Buck Rub Pub.

As far as camping in national forests you can legally pitch a tent back country style if your more than 200 feet from the trail or a body of water and more than 1/4 mile from an established hut or campground. ...just walk 200 feet off the trail and find a good spot in the woods for the night.
As long as "back country style" means
"lots of holes in the ground cloth and floor".

Our last backpacking trip (years ago) was an AMC family trip
to East Pond off Tripoli Road.

O. M. G., I think we scored the last boulder-free 10'² patch of dirt
in more than a one-mile radius.

I don't know what we would have done
if we'd had to pitch the tent atop glacial talus.

As long as "back country style" means
"lots of holes in the ground cloth and floor".

Our last backpacking trip (years ago) was an AMC family trip
to East Pond off Tripoli Road.

O. M. G., I think we scored the last boulder-free 10'² patch of dirt
in more than a one-mile radius.

I don't know what we would have done
if we'd had to pitch the tent atop glacial talus.
Back country to me means a patch if ground and a sleeping bag. Lol

Back
Top Bottom