• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question on hand loads for my 1911.

roccoracer

NES Member
I have a Remington R1 1911, the chamber is very tight. It hates Winchester white box as they tend to hang up and not go into battery. The very top of the case mouth drags in the chamber and will does not go into battery.
I made some hand loads and most of them chambered fine. But some would hang up the same as the Winchester. I am only flaring the brass a small amount.
Am I doing something wrong or is it my pistol?
My hand loads were accurate and seemed to be a good match to my pistol.

I have a Remington R1 1911, the chamber is very tight. It hates Winchester white box as they tend to hang up and not go into battery. The very top of the case mouth drags in the chamber and will does not go into battery.
I made some hand loads and most of them chambered fine. But some would hang up the same as the Winchester. I am only flaring the brass a small amount.
Am I doing something wrong or is it my pistol?
My hand loads were accurate and seemed to be a good match to my pistol.

Here are some of the things that can cause the problem:

Too much flare
Not enough flare
Too much crimp
Not enough crimp
Over-sized bullets

Someone will be along in a minute to tell you to get a Lee Factory Crimp die.

I have an R1 as well......the first reloads I made also had an issue cycling. The second round would not make it to battery. I tried a few things and My current recipe seems to be working well (over 300 rounds). Seating the bullet a bit more than the load books said, seamed to fix the problem. I'm using 230 gr lead RN, 4.4 gr titegroup, and a COL of 1.220". I did end up buying a chamber check gauge just to make sure, and everything was fine. One thing that helped was to load 3 or four dummy loads, put them in the mag and rack them quickly. Hope this helps. I should mention, I am using mixed brass, including winchester.

Last edited:
How long have you owned the pistol. Did you fully clean it from new.....I only ask as my dad always said a new is a dirty gun.
Growing up my dad proved many times my guns where not clean. I would do axdetail clean of the 1911 before anything else.....that's just me. I assume you bought new and only have used WWB ammo as you do not state if it works better or worse than any other factory ammo.

As mentioned in another thread, this could also be the product of a poorly fitted or overly tight extractor. These problems often cure themselves with a break in. If you are not familiar with extractors it would be wise to seek help. They are very easy to screw up and they are not cheap.

My R1 has a couple of hundred rounds thru it. And it has only been the Wichesters that had the problem until my most recent hand loads. Remington golden sabres work flawless as do all the other fmj's I have used.
I notice when this happens that there is a part of the very front of the casing that looks peeled back slightly. Next time it happens I will get a picture.

My R1 has a couple of hundred rounds thru it. And it has only been the Wichesters that had the problem until my most recent hand loads. Remington golden sabres work flawless as do all the other fmj's I have used.
I notice when this happens that there is a part of the very front of the casing that looks peeled back slightly. Next time it happens I will get a picture.

Just a thought. Check the barrel hood. The underside of the front of the hood should have a chamfer. Without a chamfer, the case might catch which might slightly deform its mouth.

Back
Top Bottom