• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question on finding NPA in sitting and prone...

I'm practicing finding (and adjusting) my NPA across the course. Standing is a snap- by adjusting either front front or rear foot placement, I can get it exactly where I want.

The other two positions are a bit of a mystery for me though. It takes me enough concentration to get into a comfortable sitting and prone position, that I don't have much sense for how to move what to adjust NPA and still be comfortable. To be specific, it's elevation I'm referring to- lateral movement is just as easy as standing- "just shuffle your toes!" ;)

So- you're all slung up, your grip and sight alignment are perfect- and you're several MOA off from black. What do you do?

Last edited:
In sitting, do you cross-ankle or cross-leg? I sit cross-ankle, so have a pretty low position. I adjust by moving my support elbow up or down my left lower leg. Most of the time, if it's close, I just muscle it.

Prone, I simply move my support elbow in or out.

For sitting if you sit cross leg, you can adjust where your right foot is located under left leg.
I also find that I have the butt stock in different locations on my shoulder at the different positions. I find that I need to move the stock fairly low into my shoulder for prone shooting, whereas for standing only the lower part of the buttstock is in my shoulder.

Gross adjustments in prone are best done by pivoting around your support elbow. Fine adjustments are best done with slight leg movements.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good advice has been given for sitting.
For elevation changes in prone you need to pick up your hips off the ground leaving your forward elbow in place and bring your hips back to move the front sight up. Bring your hips forward to lower the front sight. After every adjustment close your eyes, relax then open your eyes.
If you're not on target, readjust as necessary until your sights remain on target.

Also - be sure your sling isn't slipping as this can cause major issues.

Back
Top Bottom