Question on fed law on a lower SN engraving

bdb

NES Member
So, first off, I know I do not need a serial # on a home build rifle. That said I did have 2 80% lowers engraved. While they were getting the custom engraving, I did have a serial # put on. It is for my own purposes. OK, so I know that IF I had them engraved with a SN it has to meet Federal requirements on engraving depth right? I have no way to measure the depth to see if it is deep enough. If it is not I would have the SN portion done deeper prior to getting the 2 of the anodized. What is the best method to be sure? Should I pick up a simple tool or take it somewhere like a gunsmith to have it checked? Just curious.

A depth micrometer with a small enough tip to get inside the engraving would work. As a quick comparison, a soda/beer can body is usually .003-.005, ATF requires at least .003.

I could also make the argument that since I'm not doing anything with the receiver that requires ATF spec engraving (ie selling it), I don't need to meet the .003 spec. Whatever is on the receiver is there for my own personal amusement, not to meet ATFs definition of a serial number.

I could also make the argument that since I'm not doing anything with the receiver that requires ATF spec engraving (ie selling it), I don't need to meet the .003 spec. Whatever is on the receiver is there for my own personal amusement, not to meet ATFs definition of a serial number.

That's what I was thinking too. But we are talking about the BATFE here - not sentient beings.

Yeah, that's my thinking also. Why take a chance. My understanding is if its done it has to be done to min spec. I am not too concerned but why take a chance. That said I won't even build it out until I am in a free state where I don't need to "register" (EFA10) it. For now they sit in a box in bubble wrap.

Back
Top Bottom