• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question on denial/Advice

Hi, I'm in need of some advice. Let me start by saying I was charged with Posession of a Class B substance and posession of a firearm w/out a license in 08, but the case was Dismissed. (100% sure it was dismissed not continued....etc) I applied for my Ltc-A in March in a green town (BTW: I was comepletely truthfull about my case on my application) and a week later I got pulled over by a state police who informed me that my 08 case was still showing up as an open case, I was going to call my attorney but decided to wait for the outcome of my application first. I just got a denial yesterday and the reason for denial states "Arraignment History/Adult Appearances". I spoke to a firearms attorney and he says that theyre probably just "Bustin my balls" he told me to get a copy of my CORI so I just sent a request and should recieve it in a few days or so. The attorney told me that he will charge me $3000.00 plus filing fees to take my case and he says there are no guarantees. So I guess my question is, what should I do?? Is this something I can fix my self?? or should I get the attorney???

Thanks, [thinking]

Fix it yourself? Looks like you already tried. Pony up for counsel and good luck.

It's always cheaper to do things right the first time.

Get a copy of your criminal record and all court documents related to your case. These can usually be obtained from the county courthouse and/or the attorney that represented you. This is not a time to 'guess' what happened...you need to know the facts. Your new attorney will need this information to decide if you have a shot at challenging the denial.

The GOAL website (www.goal.org) has some good information about the appeal process.

Good luck.

I just got a denial yesterday and the reason for denial states "Arraignment History/Adult Appearances".
The chief denied you for suitability. The law gives him almost total discretion to deny an LTC and in your case he can easily explain his reasons for the denial to a judge..

Yes, you can retain a lawyer and appeal. Yes, it will costs thousands of dollars. Based on your legal history, I seriously doubt it will be successful.

What you should do is move out of MA.

And until then - get an FID!

Also note that the criminal records kept can be inaccurate. Regardless of the the LTC issue you should look into what the current state of your record is. I had my name confused with someone else and got my drivers license pulled, without my knowledge, due to their DUI. I found out about it when renewal time came around and they told me no go - it was revoked! Luckily I never got stopped while my license was "revoked"! It took a bunch of time and visits and paperwork, but I got it cleared up and got my license re-issued. And then about five years later when I went to get a driving history report for insurance it still showed up! Another round of time, visits, and paperwork to get that resolved - or at least, I think it was resolved...

Hi, I'm in need of some advice. Let me start by saying I was charged with Posession of a Class B substance and posession of a firearm w/out a license in 08, but the case was Dismissed. (100% sure it was dismissed not continued....etc) I applied for my Ltc-A in March in a green town (BTW: I was comepletely truthfull about my case on my application) and a week later I got pulled over by a state police who informed me that my 08 case was still showing up as an open case, I was going to call my attorney but decided to wait for the outcome of my application first. I just got a denial yesterday and the reason for denial states "Arraignment History/Adult Appearances". I spoke to a firearms attorney and he says that theyre probably just "Bustin my balls" he told me to get a copy of my CORI so I just sent a request and should recieve it in a few days or so. The attorney told me that he will charge me $3000.00 plus filing fees to take my case and he says there are no guarantees. So I guess my question is, what should I do?? Is this something I can fix my self?? or should I get the attorney???

Thanks, [thinking]

Get that 2008 case squared away. Talk to your lawyer. File a petition for judicial review to stop the 90 day clock. Negotiate with chief. Maybe file new application complete with detailed letters of recommendation and a concise personal statement. Be careful with the language of the question 10 explanations.

Back
Top Bottom