• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question on Barrel length and threaded barrel / pinned comp

RJM

Just got back from Zero Arms where I was going to have some work done to an upper. The owner indicated that I do not need to 'pin' the comp since the barrel is 16" long without the compensator. Is this a fact or do I need to pin the compensator since the barrel is threaded?

I also have a piccatinny /weaver type adaptor connected to (covering) the bayonet mount. If I permanently attach this ( have the set screws weldeded in place) will it be MA complient or do I need to remove the lug or part of the lug?
Thank you.

Just got back from Zero Arms where I was going to have some work done to an upper. The owner indicated that I do not need to 'pin' the comp since the barrel is 16" long without the compensator. Is this a fact or do I need to pin the compensator since the barrel is threaded?

You don't need to permanently attach the comp in order to comply with NFA length regulations, but you do need to do it to comply with the MA AWB if you're going to put the upper on a standard post-ban lower.

RJM said:
I also have a piccatinny /weaver type adaptor connected to (covering) the bayonet mount. If I permanently attach this ( have the set screws weldeded in place) will it be MA complient or do I need to remove the lug or part of the lug?

As long as it is permanently attached such that the lug is no longer usable you're fine.

You don't need to permanently attach the comp in order to comply with NFA length regulations, but you do need to do it to comply with the MA AWB if you're going to put the upper on a standard post-ban lower.
Only if the barrel is threaded.

Do I cut off the threads or file them off? if you cut, does a 16 inch barrel still meet the required length? What is your rcomendation, or what would you do? Thanks.

Do I cut off the threads or file them off? if you cut, does a 16 inch barrel still meet the required length? What is your rcomendation, or what would you do? Thanks.

Doesn't matter how it's done, as long as they're effectively destroyed and the barrel stays at least 16" long (or you file NFA paperwork before you do it). Personally, I'd weld a brake on rather than cut/file threads, but it all depends upon what you want in terms of look and function.

With respect to the MA AWB, I assume this holds true for a 20" upper as well? I was just told otherwise myself at a shop that shall remain nameless.

Back
Top Bottom