• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question on Attorney John Foley

inkdesigner

NES Member
I am working thru the process of trying to get an unrestricted LTC in Lowell. I know, I know, Lowell is a red town where it is next to impossible to get an unrestricted LTC. Unfortunately, I'm stuck there and cannot move.

Question is as follows. Has anyone used John Foley's services to successfully obtain an unrestricted LTC in a red town? Or, has anyone used his services to successfully challenge the issuance of a restricted LTC and get is change to unrestricted?

One final question. Is there any other attorney in MA that could be recommended that has a proven and successful track record in this area.

I am working thru the process of trying to get an unrestricted LTC in Lowell. I know, I know, Lowell is a red town where it is next to impossible to get an unrestricted LTC. Unfortunately, I'm stuck there and cannot move.

Question is as follows. Has anyone used John Foley's services to successfully obtain an unrestricted LTC in a red town? Or, has anyone used his services to successfully challenge the issuance of a restricted LTC and get is change to unrestricted?

One final question. Is there any other attorney in MA that could be recommended that has a proven and successful track record in this area.

Sometimes life comes down to priorities. It seems you've made your choice.

Sometimes life comes down to priorities. It seems you've made your choice.

Sadly, financial shortcomings make moving an impossibility at this time. I overspent in my youth and am still paying for those mistakes. Nothing illegal, I have a clean record there.

- - - Updated - - -

Have friends in a green town .
Change address ...

While tempting, I have no desire to "fudge" things on the application. The ramifications/consequences of being "caught" far outweigh any potential benefits.

The Lowell chief is currently a defendant in a federal civil rights suit over his practice of issuing restricted licenses (Batty v. Albertelli). Additionally, a very vocal group of Lowell owners organized by GOAL have made this an issue for city council whose members are actually feeling a little heat.

An appeal of restrictions in state court will most assuredly fail. Under state law a district court judge can only order a restriction removed if the court finds that there was no "reasonable ground" for restricting the license. "Reasonable ground" is not defined in the statute and there is no case law on this subject. All the Lowell chief has to do is explain to the court his belief that allowing people other than 'highly trained, professional police officers' to carry guns in public puts the public at risk and will result in blood running in the street.

Arguing that the Second Amendment protect the right to carry a firearm for personal protection will fail as well. District court judges will not entertain 2A constitutional arguments and the SJC has made it clear that without additional guidance from the US Supreme Court, carrying a firearm outside of the home is NOT 'core' to the Second Amendment.

No and No.
5 posts in and not one has come close to addressing OP's questions.
Bueller? Bueller? anyone?

An appeal of restrictions in state court will most assuredly fail. Under state law a district court judge can only order a restriction removed if the court finds that there was no "reasonable ground" for restricting the license. "Reasonable ground" is not defined in the statute and there is no case law on this subject. All the Lowell chief has to do is explain to the court his belief that allowing people other than 'highly trained, professional police officers' to carry guns in public puts the public at risk and will result in blood running in the street.

The denial with "reasonable ground" for restriction doesn't apply to the individual applicant, but applies as a blanket to all? Is this the way the law was intended to be interpreted in light of the changes?

How can this be a valid excuse when it is clearly not true, otherwise all and any green surrounding towns would be a blood bath.

Resisting the urge to vomit.

Attorney Keith Langer assisted me in obtaining my LTC for a different issue. http://kglangerlaw.com/

He's worth a call, but good representation is expensive, and the cost to appeal is likely less than the cost to move, unless you are living rent free in a basement somewhere.

Additionally, a very vocal group of Lowell owners organized by GOAL have made this an issue for city council whose members are actually feeling a little heat.

inkdesigner, here is a link to a thread about the group mentioned above: Lowell-Residents-with-Restricted-Licenses-Need-To-Read-This!

Also, I can see you're new here. Welcome to NES, and I can tell you that this guy knows what he's talking about:

An appeal of restrictions in state court will most assuredly fail.

Back
Top Bottom