question from a new member

Greetings all and I apolagise if this has been asked before but I could not find a definate answer. I am a legal alien over here, orginally from the UK, and live in Maryland. I own a hand gun but because I live in MD then I dont have a CCW permit. My wife and I are coming to Vermont, Manchester in july for 6 weeks.
OK if you are still with me then my question is can i bring my Glock with me and what do I need to know about the law? i.e. carrying in the car does it need to be in the back and the ammo seperate, do I need to contact the LLE that I will be bringing it and temporary register it there?
Are there any ranges near Manchester that allow out of state walk ins either indoor or out doors?

Once again thank you and if you see a big red land rover discovery up there with a union jack on the back then come and say hello.

Graeme

Transport your pistol unloaded and in a closed container, in a location inaccessible from the passenger compartment. Unloaded meaning empty magazines too.

Ammo can travel in the same general location as the pistol (don't let the day ladies here tell you otherwise) but it needs to be in a separate box.

So put pistol and mags in a hard pistol case and put in trunk. Put ammo in trunk too. Close trunk. Drive.

The Firearms Owner's Protection Act of 1986 (FOPA) will cover you for pass through transport in places where you need a license to possess that pistol but don't have one (NJ, NY, MA).

Once you get to states like VT and NH, where possession of firearms is unlicensed, you just need to continue with the same transport method except you are not breaking any laws (and thus not need the federal exemption) to transport and possess.

Once you are in NH and VT, no one will ask to see a license, or papers, or anything of the sort.

Concealed carry (including loaded handgun anywhere in vehicle):

You need a NH non-resident license to do so there. Really NH will not be all that different from MD. You can legally possess and transport handguns without any licenses.

You are free to conceal carry will in VT where concealed carry is a fundamental right and not subject to licensing.

And whatever you do don't go to a police station and ask about registering guns. Not unless you want the cops to have a good laugh at your expense.

Transport as Jose outlined. Once you hit the vt border you can do as you please. Open carry or concealed carry is legal. You need no permits or licenses even if you are a non resident. Short of a few hunting regulations Vermont has no gun laws.

Back
Top Bottom