• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question for you guys

MrsWildweasel

NES Member
Do you guys get any training in dealing with someone that has PTSD or TBI injury?
The reason I am asking is an organization I am involved with is trying to come up with a class. Also would it be beneficial if said person had a card on them saying they suffer from PTSD or TBI and their Dr. info to contact on it?

Do you guys get any training in dealing with someone that has PTSD or TBI injury?
The reason I am asking is an organization I am involved with is trying to come up with a class. Also would it be beneficial if said person had a card on them saying they suffer from PTSD or TBI and their Dr. info to contact on it?

I never have. Are you associated with the Brain Injury Association of Massachusetts?

A card would be good, but it should be accompanied by a medic alert bracelet. It would allow me to rule out other things a lot quicker. Does your org currently recommend people to wear medic alert bracelets?

No we are trying to get feed back on what would be helpful. No my org. is Silver Star Families of America.
We had an incident where I have been in touch with someone and her husband suffers from TBI and PTSD. He threatened that any LEO that would show up he would try and put them in a situation where he would try and get them to kill him. He had also threatened his wife also.
She did get him into a VA hospital last night. We are looking into ways to keep everyone safe.
The Vets and you guys. So any ideas would help.

I guess one of the issues vets with PTSD and TBI have with the medical alert bracelets is it stands out, and they don't want to stand out. The cards can be put in their wallets until it is needed type of thing.
This is why I am looking for input from you guys also.
I have been discussing things with his wife. It is baby steps with her. The only reason why her hubby is in the VA hospital is because things escalated this far. I have had contact with her for about 3 months now.

One of the other problems that you would encounter is there are a lot of Vets that will not seek help so we are also looking into what we can do to help that situation.

I guess one of the issues vets with PTSD and TBI have with the medical alert bracelets is it stands out, and they don't want to stand out. The cards can be put in their wallets until it is needed type of thing.

I understand that, but that's the point of the medial alert bracelet (to stand out). If things are going bad for him it could make the difference between him getting section 12ed, or getting arrested. Getting section 12ed is not good, but it's better than getting arrested. BTW, a section 12 is a 72 hour involuntary commitment

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/123-12.htm

I understand that, but that's the point of the medial alert bracelet (to stand out). If things are going bad for him it could make the difference between him getting section 12ed, or getting arrested. Getting section 12ed is not good, but it's better than getting arrested. BTW, a section 12 is a 72 hour involuntary commitment

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/123-12.htm

Yeah I understand that also. Now also if PVT Snuffy has the medical alert bracelet that will help the ones seeking treatment already, what can be done for the ones and there are many that don't seek treatment.
Oh, I was also a dispatcher from many moons ago, when I was in highschool on the left coast. Lol

I hear you on that, but a lot won't seek help because they don't want their command finding out, and various other reasons due to the military in nature.

there is a great training program online for us (service members) on how to identify and cope with the stressors of being in combat - and then having to re-adjust to NOT being in combat.

i think your question may be better suited for a Critical Incident Stress Management (CISM) team or similar agency.

your local Police - Fire - EMS should have plans in place to react to critical incidents such as 09-11-2001 and Hurrican Katrina that can better answer your questions.

also, each state has thier own version of "FEMA" - such as in MA, we have MEMA - that can help as well.

i work closely with a lot of the "key" individuals, but can NOT divulge such information to a "regular" person w/o need to know.

You should be inquiring with your local PD, Fire or EMS about such issues... also, your local Vets Center can help as well.

There are tons of hurdles - such as privacy disclosures, discrimmination, ect . ect . - and each law has a law that can bypass, regarding the release of information.

as far as "black balling" or tagging a soldier who is being treated for PTSD goes... that should be at the discretion of the Medical Professionals, along with the soldiers family to recommend... NOT some jack ass.....

I have helped several hundred soldiers out-process from the military, who were being treated for PTSD, Depression, Adjustment Disorders who owned firearms. My org. simply made a call to the local PD who were 99% more than happy to secure the firearms while the soldier was undergoing treatment, including "in patient" treatment....

I have NOT followed up with many of them, but the ones I bump into are pretty much back to normal, and can still own and carry firearms after being cleared by a medical professional.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom