• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question for the police

With ammo rising how bad does that mess with a budget for a pd for training? I assume bigger places like boston or msp have set contracts for like 5 years with a set price but do smaller towns have that? Or do they pay marketish... i know pd's get a discount anyways. But did that go up?

With ammo rising how bad does that mess with a budget for a pd for training? I assume bigger places like boston or msp have set contracts for like 5 years with a set price but do smaller towns have that? Or do they pay marketish... i know pd's get a discount anyways. But did that go up?
How dare you ask about their business!
Jokihg aside Im thinking most PDs are not worried about getting or the price of ammo?

The big agencies get bids and include the costs in next year's budget. There have been articles about small towns having a hard time finding ammo, even at retail.

The big agencies get bids and include the costs in next year's budget. There have been articles about small towns having a hard time finding ammo, even at retail.
Yeah i mean i figured larger ones have contracts. But if I'm Winchester let's say...idagf about oxford pd i wouldn't think. But idk i was curious how it all worked

Cops practice?

At the height of prices, A friend on a dept was buying 9mm for $350./1000rds
He said 2 guys shoot for practice, the rest of the dept dont shoot unless a mandatory training is happening.
Lock up your dogs
What's he normally buy for? Out of curiosity

Yeah i mean i figured larger ones have contracts. But if I'm Winchester let's say...idagf about oxford pd i wouldn't think. But idk i was curious how it all worked
Pretty much all small towns do the mutual aid thing. I doubt it includes financial support or anything outside of boots on the ground or coverage for lack of staff though

At the height of prices, A friend on a dept was buying 9mm for $350./1000rds
He said 2 guys shoot for practice, the rest of the dept dont shoot unless a mandatory training is happening.
Lock up your dogs

I heard a the same thing from an officer. This was a few years ago, but I was told that each officers was allotted a certain amount of ammo per month to practice with if they want it. He also said most don't do any, so he can get more if he wants it.
Most police officers are not gun enthusiasts, they just use a firearm as a tool to do their job.

I heard a the same thing from an officer. This was a few years ago, but I was told that each officers was allotted a certain amount of ammo per month to practice with if they want it. He also said most don't do any, so he can get more if he wants it.
Most police officers are not gun enthusiasts, they just use a firearm as a tool to do their job.
We only got ammo for our once yearly qualification and once in a blue moon for additional training. We could however deduct ammo from our taxes for personal shooting

Even still i assume cops train... and even if they don't they have an alotment of ammo for training each month

Do many local PDs even practice that much?
Not really they get to qualify and get a yearly allowance of carry ammo and probably 4-500 rds for training if they are lucky. Many cops are not shooters or gun guys either so many of them won't even use all of that. Cops that train and shoot on their own dime can deduct part of the training costs and ammo costs as work related.

Little story, years ago I was at the range with my dad and a local part time cop was there to practice "because he had to qualify in a couple weeks" and he put up a target and after his first shot his gun jammed up bad. It was an older smith with metal mags and the ammo had been in the gun so long with him sweating and stuff the ammo was solidly corroded and stuck in the magazine and the magazine was corroded and stuck in the gun. He had to beat it out of the gun with a rock and a screwdriver and my dad let him borrow a shotgun bore brush and some rem oil to scrub all the green shit and rust out of his mag well. He was embarassed and told us he was glad he got it cleaned up and running again because he would have never heard the end of it.

Last edited:
Yeah that yearly qual ain’t hurting from this.

the days of having a range in the basement of the station where you could go shoot at the end of your shift are over.

Departments are not paying them to train, or providing enough ammo and paying for the range time to do so.

As far as most departments are concerned you certify at the academy and once a year you have to put a couple of rounds on paper, but if you think departments are giving Officers 100 rounds a month and a couple of hours to go shoot that ain't happening.

40 officers, 40 dollars in ammo a month , 12 months a year is about 20 grand in ammo costs alone

Little story, years ago I was at the range with my dad and a local part time cop was there to practice "because he had to qualify in a couple weeks" and he put up a target and after his first shot his gun jammed up bad. It was an older smith with metal mags and the ammo had been in the gun so long with him sweating and stuff the ammo was solidly corroded and stuck in the magazine and the magazine was corroded and stuck in the gun. He had to beat it out of the gun with a rock and a screwdriver and my dad let him borrow a shotgun bore brush and some rem oil to scrub all the green shit and rust out of his mag well. He was embarassed and told us he was glad he got it cleaned up and running again because he would have never heard the end of it.

This is why I shoot my carry ammo every so often. I sweat, I have a physically demanding job, I can see the patina on the copper jacket changing. Some days when I pull my gun out of the holster, it has condensation on it, moisture, water, sweat, whatever. It’s wet and gross.

Shoot
Your
Carry
Ammo!

And often. If you can’t train with it to a reasonable extent, then what’s the point?

Even still i assume cops train... and even if they don't they have an alotment of ammo for training each month

I know at least a few of the cops on a local PD go to Sig Academy a few times a year along with local range time at a neighboring towns range.

Also there are 2 Police departments that use our range for training a couple times a year.

That said I also have seen a lot more cops at our range fail to qualify to shoot indoors. It's not that hard to qualify and if 10 show up maybe 2 will qualify. I can qualify with my weak hand with no problem so they must not shoot much at all.

I work with a number of small departments, no one is hurting for ammo. They don't even seem to realize there is a shortage.

Do many local PDs even practice that much?
Unless they are in a special unit (SWAT, etc), they likely don't get paid to practice other than annual qualification.
I wish, not in my former department!
We only got ammo for our once yearly qualification and once in a blue moon for additional training. We could however deduct ammo from our taxes for personal shooting
This was the way our PD operated too, except we never had additional training.
Bad assumption.

Doubt price makes a difference when the public tax dollars are paying for it.

Back
Top Bottom