• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question for the parents

I'm a new dad and although still years off I was wondering how old my son should be before I take him shooting? This is of course he's mature enough to take shooting. I figure start off with a 22 long gun on a stand or sandbags and work up from there, like my dad did with me.

My kids are less than two years apart and I think about this question every day. I was thinking that some time around eight would be a good ballpark. I appreciate the "you'll know" comment. I was hoping that was the case. I just hope that I am patient enough to wait for the right time.

I also hope that I'll be able to find a pink 10/22 for my daughter and a camo one for my son :) Jeebus I can't wait, I guess I'll have to buy them now, in case they discontinue them between now and then :)

when they were very young, I made sure that my kids understood that guns were not toys....but that they were not mysterious objects of desire, either.

This way there was no "forbidden fruit" vibe.

At about 5, first shots were taken under very controlled conditions.

Then as physical and mental development progressed, more.

at about 8, .22 rifles off the block, one showed an interest in Trap at about 9, and now (11) is a real Trap shooter.

Kids his age and older have come out to the club, and not been ready.

The "when it's time you'll know" comment is right on. One thing, though....DON'T push them!

Have fun.....until they start to beat you! [laugh]

Understanding that all parents and children are different........
I have a boy who is soon going to be 5.
For at least a year, I've been explaining to him about trigger discipline, safe direction, lasing, and handing-off. Yes, he still gets to play with the boys and play their games. I simply want him to understand that real guns are not toys and certain rules need to be followed for his safety and the safety of others.
Recently, I've been explaining/showing the basics of aiming a gun with an air rifle. No shooting yet, just how to hold it, aim it and work it.
Based on how well he remembers and practices what he learns, it could be a year or two or four before he gets to shoot the air rifle.
He may come with me to the range once or twice to simply observe, in the near future. I want to see how he handles himself.
As for the real guns, I do not yet know. As stated above, I want to see how he handles himself. IF it looks like he's going to act like a bonehead, or that he isn't mature enough, it'll get pushed off. IF he is retaining and practicing what he learned, it may be sooner.

Like the fellow a couple posts above said,"You'll know when its time."

i started my kids at around age 6. bb gun first then after saftey and rules learned we progressed on to 22s then on up the scale. my youngest was shooting handguns by the time he was 12 and he was also running the reloading press after many lessons. i remember he would get mad because i made him weigh every load individually ( an old lee turret press). i started my grandson at 7 because my son in law was very anti gun. at 9 years old he was shooting at turkey shoots every weekend and had his shares of wins too. today he is 16 and stands 6' 4" and still wins at least once a week and im here to tell you its a longggggg ride home if he wins and i dont. lol. start them young and drill the rules and safety into them. then enjoy all the time you can with them at the range because what time you get never seems to be enough. have fun and keep it safe. and yes you will know when its the right time.

I began showing my son my guns when he was about five. He fired his first shots when he was nine at, of all places, the Westfield Machine Gun show about four years ago. It was a Ruger MKII with a red-dot scope on it, sitting down, at a 25 foot course under the guidance of some club intructors. He hit most of the pumpkins and the other targets they had there.

Now all he wants to shoot is my AR-15 and he is fairly good for his age. Sometime in the near future I hope to do an Appleseed shoot with him.

It depends on the kid. I have a 9 year old who has been shooting with dad for about a year, and a 3 year old who has been to the range, but never handled a gun, because i have no doubt his purpose on this earth is to see how quickly he can put me in my grave, and I refuse to give him an advantage. I also have a daughter who will be 18 next month, and she has never been to the range, or handled any firearm, because of her refusal to admit that she does not know everything, and she might actually have something to learn.

We have 3 kids (10.5, 5.5 and 2.5). We both just got our CT CC and started keeping guns in house. We show all three of them all of the guns we own and how to check i they are loaded or not. The youngest is the only one who does not get to hold a gun. Even though the youngest will not remember most of these lessons we feel it helps create a normalcy about guns that will help as he gets older.

22's to start and rifles better than handguns. Harder to point a rifle in an unsafe direction (at themselves!) and easier to guide/grab when supervising.

Repetition is key with me personally. I ask the eldest the two cardinal rules when handling a gun on a regular basis and before she gets to handle any firearm. 1) Is it loaded? 2) Pointed in a safe direction. If they can't tell you those two things immediately upon being questioned, it's my opinion they should not be allowed to handle a gun.

They have to show an interest. Both my boys plinked BB's around 6 years old and plinked one shot 22's at 7 or eight. my youngest has shot my 22 pistol on occasion at eight, while my oldest shot my 45 around 13. As long as they understand the safety end of things, and you are behind them when they shoot I think its good at a young age. Just be prepared to have to sneak to the range, when you want to actually shoot for yourself.

I'm a new dad and although still years off I was wondering how old my son should be before I take him shooting? This is of course he's mature enough to take shooting. I figure start off with a 22 long gun on a stand or sandbags and work up from there, like my dad did with me.

My kids are less than two years apart and I think about this question every day. I was thinking that some time around eight would be a good ballpark. I appreciate the "you'll know" comment. I was hoping that was the case. I just hope that I am patient enough to wait for the right time.

I also hope that I'll be able to find a pink 10/22 for my daughter and a camo one for my son :) Jeebus I can't wait, I guess I'll have to buy them now, in case they discontinue them between now and then :)

With the scouts I have seen that "you will know when" really is the best answer. Try them with a pocket knife first and see if they can handle THAT safely.
My son is only two but I have a plain old wood stock 10/22 waiting for him in the safe when he is ready. Bought it now given how the prices for everything have been going. Might let him use it at 6 or 16 depends on when he is physically, mentally and emotionally ready.

Somewhere (Ayoob ?) I read that children are old enough to shoot when they can demonstrate enough maturity to care for a family cat or dog. I realise that not everyone has a pet but it works in my case.

Start getting them ready before they're ready...

My son is 2 1/2 years old. He is still way too young to be handling a firearm of any kind, however I have found a way to teach him safe handling practices well before he's ready to handle a firearm.

While I was reluctant to purchase "toy" guns for him, his grandparents bought him a Nerf blaster, and he's been showing some interest in it. He's allowed to use it, but we're already starting on a regiment of safe handling practices with the Nerf blaster.

1) Never point it at people or animals
2) Only shoot it at the approved targets (currently a few house walls and his art set's white-board)
3) Keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot

He's not strong enough to pull the charging handle on the nerf blaster, so he'll load a suction dart, bring it to me to "cock" and then go back to his target position tell me, "I'm ready." and then wait for me to say "Ok" before he changes his grip so his finger is in the trigger guard and shoots at the target.

His aim is poor, but he's already learning some of the basic safety rules for handling guns.

When he's old enough to handle a real firearm and stong enough to support it, I'll introduce him to my single shot bolt-action .22LR (I'll need to pick up a .22LR pistol at some point) but for now, he can play while learning the basics of firearms safety.

We have an archery setup in the yard for throwing knives and tomahawks. We might start there and see how well he listens. If he's good maybe we'll expand to archery at the club. I think that while this all goes on I'll let him help me with cleaning and such so that I can start working the safety lessons in early.

I didn't meet my dad until I was 15, so when he started me on the "path" for lack of a better term, it was everything at once. Which is why I started this post since I didn't live it myself.

My daughter is 5. Tried once with a bb gun but after safety glasses and a lecture she lost interest. Her uncle gave her her own pink Red Ryder for Christmas and that peaked some interest. I've also gone down the Nerf blaster route, and folks maybe appalled, but she is allowed to shoot people if she can get permission from them to do so. I've also lectured on the difference between the Nerf gun and all others bb guns included. We'll try the bb gun again on a quiet day at the cottage. I care about her learning safe gun handling, but don't care if she becomes a regular shooter.

Back
Top Bottom