Question for the MA Auto Inspection guys and off duty cops

M1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I know a guy who cut the 6 out of his sticker and taped it in upside down to get another three months out of it. He got caught, pleaded guilty, and paid a $50 fine.

Unfortunately, it's a felony and he's now a prohibited person.
I'm sure glad he can't have a gun /sarcasm

slap shot

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Do they even pull you over for stickers anymore? Seems like something you get tagged with after you get pulled over for speeding nowadays. I'd just drive. Or uber [grin]

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Example- headlight goes out, 10 minutes later you drive through a douche town and a douche cop gives you a cite instead of just a warning. You fight that cite, with the argument of "Well, the light literally JUST WENT OUT before officer friendly gave me the citation. Then the next day I replaced the bulb." If you're not a jerk the Magistrate is probably going to try to dump it because the whole thing is ****ing stupid.

-Mike
Had this happen to me in Jersey long time ago. Vehicle had been inspected, and passed, in mass that morning. Showed the paperwork to the cop and he cited me anyway. Jackass. Was the same town that pulled my brother from his car and smashed his face in the pavement for being a "skinhead". He has a condition where he doesn't grow any hair. When my father found out the gave me a ticket he said "Give me that!" Pretty sure he tore the CoP a new one because that was the last I heard of it.

George D

NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Technically yes, but in reality it's almost unheard of, unless it's for a severe deficiency like brakes or no exhaust.

I must be lucky. Got stopped 8 days after I bought a car and didn't get a sticker yet. Towed the car, points on my license.

sgeary

NES Member
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Just lean against the mirror while he's doing inspection. Those guys are usually just in and out with inspections.

PaulR

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have a belief that ALL cops are inherently good, and they want to do good by their fellow man. Which is why I will travel to RI tomorrow with a expired inspection sticker......and screw it, if I get pulled over.....I'll have this thread address in my favorites and I'll make him/her read every word of it!!!
[smile]

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Inspection sticker ran out 3/1, been busy but no excuses.
Right signal lens on mirror assembly is cracked, works but half lens missing, probably should fail (but my inspection guy is old and blind so may miss it)
Not worried about my town cops, as they will probably just laugh at me and tell me to get it fixed right away....
Part on order from Ford coming in Monday..
but Need to drive all the way across MA to RI tomorrow.

Should I get it inspected and fail? (Do I get 30 days to fix?)
or should I risk it, fix it monday and get it inspected then?

TIA
Paul
Position your windshield wipers so the passenger side blade covers the 2.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gotta say, it would take one d*ck of a cop to issue a ticket in that case...
MA State Police have an Officer Dick. No lie. Got a ticket from him because I had to speed up for several car lengths to get to an opening in the right lane.
It didn't help that his name badge caught my eye as he walked up. I couldn't help laughing

ochmude

Marine Veteran
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Police treat Boarder Patrol as one of their own?
Well, I mean I did move out of Mass about two weeks after I got that sticker. We don't have any sort of inspections here, so I don't think the police care about an expired sticker from the other side of the continent. I still glance at it from time to time in the middle of the summer when it's 120 degrees outside and I start to think Arizona sucks. That sticker is just small reminder that things could be worse [smile].

Also....

board·er
noun
noun: boarder; plural noun: boarders

1. a person who receives regular meals when staying somewhere, in return for payment or services.
a student who lives at school during the semester in return for payment.
2. a person who boards a ship during or after an attack.
3. a person who takes part in a sport using a board, such as surfing or snowboarding.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had this happen to me in Jersey long time ago. Vehicle had been inspected, and passed, in mass that morning. Showed the paperwork to the cop and he cited me anyway. Jackass. Was the same town that pulled my brother from his car and smashed his face in the pavement for being a "skinhead". He has a condition where he doesn't grow any hair. When my father found out the gave me a ticket he said "Give me that!" Pretty sure he tore the CoP a new one because that was the last I heard of it.
Spencer MA 2001 Same deal with the inspection and headlight, and citation. I asked him why he was giving me a ticket 5 hours after I passed inspection. He just said, "I guess it's your turn."

Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Do they even pull you over for stickers anymore? Seems like something you get tagged with after you get pulled over for speeding nowadays. I'd just drive. Or uber [grin]
It's a gateway offense. From what I hear, they use it as an indication that the registration is expired or something else is hinky. Gives them a valid reason to dig through your life and find a way to jam you up.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
You could say that. 18 and thought I was untouchable. When I finally got my license back insurance on my 94 GT was outright insane.
I also had a '94 GT(Hence the user name) and also received a few moving violations for an Expired(and Rejection, emissions) Sticker around that age, lol... I never lost my license though, luckily. Just a long time before my insurance premiums were affordable again, haha

clampett

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well, I mean I did move out of Mass about two weeks after I got that sticker. We don't have any sort of inspections here, so I don't think the police care about an expired sticker from the other side of the continent. I still glance at it from time to time in the middle of the summer when it's 120 degrees outside and I start to think Arizona sucks. That sticker is just small reminder that things could be worse [smile].

Also....

board·er
noun
noun: boarder; plural noun: boarders

1. a person who receives regular meals when staying somewhere, in return for payment or services.
a student who lives at school during the semester in return for payment.
2. a person who boards a ship during or after an attack.
3. a person who takes part in a sport using a board, such as surfing or snowboarding.
I learn a lot from your posts. Such as the difference between boarder vs border. Also I didn't know Arizona doesn't have an inspection system. Their must be a lot of carnage in Arizona due to tires blowing out, ball joints failing, brakes failing and people dying from C.O. poisoning from faulty exhaust systems.
I'm fortunate that my government knows that it's subjects are to stupid and irresponsible to be trusted to do maintenance on their vehicle's without their oversight.

Last edited:

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I have a belief that ALL cops are inherently good, and they want to do good by their fellow man. Which is why I will travel to RI tomorrow with a expired inspection sticker......and screw it, if I get pulled over.....I'll have this thread address in my favorites and I'll make him/her read every word of it!!!
[smile]
You have nothing to worry about in RI, cops can't write you for an expired out-of-state inspection sticker, you only have to worry when you're driving within the state the car is registered.

calsdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Inspection sticker ran out 3/1, been busy but no excuses.
Right signal lens on mirror assembly is cracked, works but half lens missing, probably should fail (but my inspection guy is old and blind so may miss it)
Not worried about my town cops, as they will probably just laugh at me and tell me to get it fixed right away....
Part on order from Ford coming in Monday..
but Need to drive all the way across MA to RI tomorrow.

Should I get it inspected and fail? (Do I get 30 days to fix?)
or should I risk it, fix it monday and get it inspected then?

TIA
Paul
I have run past the inspection date on numerous cars I've had over the years. Park the wiper over the number on the inspection sticker (if your car will do that) - and don't do anything stupid and make sure you use all your signals - and keep an eye out for cops - and you'll likely be fine.

I have literally gone over my inspection sticker date by 6 months in a few cases. One one of my cars - the original sticker was in July (when I bought it) - and it's now sometime in April.

Your most likely chance of getting pulled over - is if you drive right by a cop and he can't help but notice that the sticker is out of date. I got nailed that way one time.

If you're worried - go get it inspected and take the failure sticker - at least that way you're "safe" for a while. The failure sticker will also gain you some time - I've gone three months on a failure sticker before. I think after a month you have to pay for the inspection again though.

Your likelihood of getting pulled over the on the highway is pretty slim in my experience. If you're worried - make sure you're driving in a pack of traffic the whole way so nobody can get a good look at the sticker.

Amateurs................ [laugh]

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've gone 14 months past due without a problem before because I was young/poor and knew the car would fail due to a single crack in the windshield. Eventually saved up money to replace the glass and got it done without an issue. Drive as unnoticeable as possible and you should be good. Also helps if your car blends in with everything else on the road.

On the other hand, once had a dick Duxbury cop pull me over because my plate sticker was out of date. The registration was renewed but they forgot to send the new sticker. I had received the new one the day before getting pulled over. Showed the cop the valid registration and sticker to be applied and he reluctantly let me go. Longest pull over I've ever had due to him trying to figure out something to get me on (walked around the car looking, specifically checked the inspection sticker to verify it).

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
If you're worried - go get it inspected and take the failure sticker - at least that way you're "safe" for a while. The failure sticker will also gain you some time - I've gone three months on a failure sticker before. I think after a month you have to pay for the inspection again though.

Your likelihood of getting pulled over the on the highway is pretty slim in my experience. If you're worried - make sure you're driving in a pack of traffic the whole way so nobody can get a good look at the sticker.
Wrong.
The failure sticker won't buy you any time.
If it fails for anything other than emissions, the R will be RED, which is a safety fail and must be fixed IMMEDIATELY. You can be stopped and written up for the red R literally three seconds after driving away from the inspection station. There is NO grace period on a safety failure, and it's intended to be a big red flag that screams out to the cops "pull me over".

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Wrong.
The failure sticker won't buy you any time.
If it fails for anything other than emissions, the R will be RED, which is a safety fail and must be fixed IMMEDIATELY. You can be stopped and written up for the red R literally three seconds after driving away from the inspection station. There is NO grace period on a safety failure, and it's intended to be a big red flag that screams out to the cops "pull me over".
Not disputing that at all, but why in HELL are turn signals a safety issue?

Literally a week ago I noticed my blinkahs weren't blinking and there was this weird sound and curls of smoke coming out of the dash. So I said to myself, "Self, I think you're going to be buying a new car!" (it turned out to be a $15 blinkah module and 10 minutes to pop it in)

Well, I was on my way to work, so I simply pulled the signals fuse and used hand signals for a couple days until I could get to the parts store.

Point being, everybody knows hand signals. Why the total reliance on electronic solutions? Sometimes, if my arm is hanging out the window and I'm feeling lazy, I'll use hand signals even without a broken blinkah.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Point being, everybody knows hand signals.
namedpipes, think about the things you've observed people do (either while driving or not). You give too much credit. I'd suspect that the majority of new drivers will wonder, 'Why does this guy in front of us keep sticking his arm out the window?

JJ4

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Tongue-in-cheek advice: Find a high-resolution image of the broken tail light. Go to staples and print it to the right scale in color on an overhead transparency. Cut it out and tape it in there so it looks like the real thing.

I've also driven a few days on expired stickers and also on a R. Looking back it was "no big deal" because I got away with it - but the penalties if caught and actually enforced are stupidly harsh and not worth it. You may be able to talk the cop out of enforcing the sticker if you show the inspection report and an receipt from ordering the part - but you're relying on goodwill of a cop here. As others have said, you're better off renting a car for a few days.

My R - I went in for inspection and they found a crack in my exhaust pipe. Safety violation - so red sticker. They wanted to sell me a whole new exhaust for $900.00. I ended up bringing it to a Chevy dealer a few days later and they had the pipe welded for $170.00. The exhaust lasted 4 more years.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
namedpipes, think about the things you've observed people do (either while driving or not). You give too much credit. I'd suspect that the majority of new drivers will wonder, 'Why does this guy in front of us keep sticking his arm out the window?
My Gram used to go on a Sunday drive to have breakfast with her gang. One of them, inexplicably still had a driver's license but was blind as a bat. So the others would call out directions to her and they'd ALL get in on the act and signal turns. Left hands, right hands, whatever limb was handy.

Thankfully the chief was some sort of middle distant cousin and avoided that end of town Sunday mornings.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
so if you are stopped is it just a ticket or a ticket and a tow?
Every time I got stopped for it was a warning. YMMV. (90% sure if the vehicle had to be towed at least one of them would have written it instead of warned it)

ochmude

Marine Veteran
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I learn a lot from your posts. Such as the difference between boarder vs border. Also I didn't know Arizona doesn't have an inspection system. Their must be a lot of carnage in Arizona due to tires blowing out, ball joints failing, brakes failing and people dying from C.O. poisoning from faulty exhaust systems.
I'm fortunate that my government knows that it's subjects are to stupid and irresponsible to be trusted to do maintenance on their vehicle's without their oversight.
[laugh] The blood is absolutely flowing through the streets. Purely from an anecdotal perspective, there do seem to be a lot more effed up vehicles on the roads here. I can say that I see at least two cars driving with a headlight out every single day. There's one van, a Windstar, I've been seeing lately driving around town that doesn't have a windshield at all. Police in the area really don't seem to care too much about such things. It's a waaaay different culture from back home in Mass.

Obie1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I didn't read the whole thread, but a few years back some idiot ran into me in VT and ripped off my driver's side mirror. State cop said it wasn't required equipment and it was ok for me to drive home without one. YMMV

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I didn't read the whole thread, but a few years back some idiot ran into me in VT and ripped off my driver's side mirror. State cop said it wasn't required equipment and it was ok for me to drive home without one. YMMV
It might not be in VT, it is in MA.

Edit:

540 CMR 4.00 9/5/2008
ANNUAL SAFETY & CO
MBINED SAFETY & EMISSIONS INSPECTION
Page 11 of 51
All mirrors as furnished by the manufacturer must be in place and maintained in good
working order. Check mirror(s) and reject if:
(a) Mirror is cracked, broken, tarnished or reflective surface is peeled.
(b) Mirror will not hold adjustment or is not
mounted securely to prevent excessive vibration.
(c) The mirror contains sharp edges or
projections capable of producing injury.

Last edited:

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
A drivers side mirror is required under federal law:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/571.111

§ 571.111 Standard No. 111; Rear visibility.

S1. Scope. This standard specifies requirements for rear visibility devices and systems.

S2. Purpose. The purpose of this standard is to reduce the number of deaths and injuries that occur when the driver of a motor vehicle does not have a clear and reasonably unobstructed view to the rear.

S3. Application. This standard applies to passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks, buses, school buses, motorcycles and low-speed vehicles.
S5.2 Outside rearview mirror - driver's side.

S5.2.1 Field of view. Each passenger car shall have an outside mirror of unit magnification. The mirror shall provide the driver a view of a level road surface extending to the horizon from a line, perpendicular to a longitudinal plane tangent to the driver's side of the vehicle at the widest point, extending 2.4 m out from the tangent plane 10.7 m behind the driver's eyes, with the seat in the rearmost position. The line of sight may be partially obscured by rear body or fender contours. The location of the driver's eye reference points shall be those established in Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 104 ( § 571.104) or a nominal location appropriate for any 95th percentile male driver.

Top Bottom