• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question for someone that had their restriction changed

I have a question for someone that had a restriction on their license but had it changed, not after renewal but during the time of having it. In other words if you had a restriction when you had your license then had it changed before your renewal please PM me I have a question for you. Thanks a lot.

Many years ago, but I had mine changed from target and hunting to protection of life & property by the chief. He issued me a letter to keep with my license until renewal, then when it was renewed it was changed on the new license. The protection of life & property shows how long ago that was :)

I had my restriction changed and thought that I was going to have a new card reprinted but after waiting for a month for the new one, I called the FRB and was told that a new card was not going to be printed, that it shows in the computer as unrestricted and that I should be fine. I asked him, what if I get stop and I am conceal caring? he said that they would check in the computer and I should be ok. But I am a little concern that I could get in fact in to trouble since my card shows the target and hunting restriction on it. so my question is have anyone had their license reprinted after a restriction change? I just dont want to break the law.

Why not just ask for a letter? If they say all is well, then a letter shouldn't be hard to achieve. Always ask for something in writing and don't assume that person will back you up, this isn't just for this case but even at your place of employment. Sometimes when you ask for it writing you get a different answer.

I just did it but it doesn't show the restriction None, just shows the type Resident Class A Large capacity , Status Active, Allow weapon type handgun rifle shotgun. :(

What does it say for Lic. Type

Mine says Resident Class A Large Capacity License to carry firearms

I'm unrestricted

If the PD requests it, FRB re-prints with new (non) restriction . . . unless they changed their policy very recently. They definitely did this not very long ago.

If the PD requests it, FRB re-prints with new (non) restriction . . . unless they changed their policy very recently. They definitely did this not very long ago.

This was the case about 2 years ago. The PD changed mine to "restrictions: None", but no new license came. PD was surprised it had not arrived, and requested a reprint. Took 2 weeks or so after that. In the meantime, the PD was able to issue a letter, but even still, advised that other PD's might not respect the letter, and go by what is written on the license. Basically, they advised not to carry outside of town without the actual license in-hand.

Tell them you lost your license. They will print you a new one for $20 and if it’s in the computer as unrestricted then it should show on your new license.

Just got the issue resolved, I went to my local PD and they told me just to wait, so I left and called the FRB again, and was told this time that in fact it was printed and that he was going to mail it today . Thanks guys

This was the case about 2 years ago. The PD changed mine to "restrictions: None", but no new license came. PD was surprised it had not arrived, and requested a reprint. Took 2 weeks or so after that. In the meantime, the PD was able to issue a letter, but even still, advised that other PD's might not respect the letter, and go by what is written on the license. Basically, they advised not to carry outside of town without the actual license in-hand.

From what I know carrying outside a restriction is not in any way illegal, just if you get caught doing it and they call the issuing PD they might revoke under suitability. So if the issuing PD has removed the restriction, and doesn't care, you are in the clear. outside of running into a jackass cop who feels like hassling you giving you a lecture about it, but some might do that anyway as they just don't like the little people carrying.

From what I know carrying outside a restriction is not in any way illegal, just if you get caught doing it and they call the issuing PD they might revoke under suitability. So if the issuing PD has removed the restriction, and doesn't care, you are in the clear. outside of running into a jackass cop who feels like hassling you giving you a lecture about it, but some might do that anyway as they just don't like the little people carrying.
I would assume that the reason someone conceal carry a firearm is for protection purposes, and so if anyone with a restriction uses that weapon in any situation other then what ever restriction was on their license then is a felony, it is like using a weapon with out proper licensing in which it is illegal. So why carry it if you cant use it if needed to. I could be wrong but from all the reading done here, conceal carrying with a restriction is a big no no unless you dont care about following the law. But again I could be wrong as Im new owning a firearm here in MA

I had mine changed from target and hunting to unrestricted. My local PD was great about it. Got my new LTC a week or two later. Has literally the same license number, expiration date. Everything is printed identical on the card except the restrictions. So I could actually use either cards to buy ammo, go to the range etc. Kinda handy actually.

I would assume that the reason someone conceal carry a firearm is for protection purposes, and so if anyone with a restriction uses that weapon in any situation other then what ever restriction was on their license then is a felony, it is like using a weapon with out proper licensing in which it is illegal. So why carry it if you cant use it if needed to. I could be wrong but from all the reading done here, conceal carrying with a restriction is a big no no unless you dont care about following the law. But again I could be wrong as Im new owning a firearm here in MA

Violating restrictions imposed on an LTC is punishable by law. MGL c. 140 s. 131(a) provides that carrying outside of restriction is punishable by a fine (between $1,000 and $10,000) and shall also be cause for suspension or revocation of the LTC. MGL C.140 s. 131(a) explicitly states that carrying outside of restriction does not constitute a violation of MGL c. 269 s. 10.

(This is the text of MGL c. 140 s. 131(a) which is currently in effect and is scheduled to be effective until 1 January 2021)
(a) A Class A license shall entitle a holder thereof to purchase, rent, lease, borrow, possess and carry: (i) firearms, including large capacity firearms, and feeding devices and ammunition therefor, for all lawful purposes, subject to such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of firearms as the licensing authority deems proper; and (ii) rifles and shotguns, including large capacity weapons, and feeding devices and ammunition therefor, for all lawful purposes; provided, however, that the licensing authority may impose such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of large capacity rifles and shotguns as it deems proper. A violation of a restriction imposed by the licensing authority under the provisions of this paragraph shall be cause for suspension or revocation and shall, unless otherwise provided, be punished by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000; provided, however, that the provisions of section 10 of chapter 269 shall not apply to such violation.

I addressed your first claim in my other post. This post is related to your 2d claim.

When, where, and how the firearm may be carried on a restricted license, or used by a person who holds a restricted license, are all dependent on what restriction is imposed on an individual's license and how the issuing authority defines that restriction.

Can I ask how you managed to get your restrictions removed? I'm in Braintree, MA and was about to try with a letter to the Chief of Police... any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Well, I just reached out to my Licensing Officer in Braintree and he stated Braintree is no longer issuing restricted licenses (yay!), but there's nothing I can do about the restriction on my current license. He said I can't even cancel and reapply and I must wait the 4 years. When I reapply, there will be no restriction.

From the people I've spoken to, in real life and on the forums here, I've been told restrictions removal is possible. Definitely conflicting information and I'm not sure what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. But hey, at least Braintree seems to be a "Green" town moving forward?

Well, I just reached out to my Licensing Officer in Braintree and he stated Braintree is no longer issuing restricted licenses (yay!), but there's nothing I can do about the restriction on my current license. He said I can't even cancel and reapply and I must wait the 4 years. When I reapply, there will be no restriction.

From the people I've spoken to, in real life and on the forums here, I've been told restrictions removal is possible. Definitely conflicting information and I'm not sure what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. But hey, at least Braintree seems to be a "Green" town moving forward?

Yes, this is just Braintree being a PITA. The way it works here in Newton is that after you've had your restricted LTC for one year, you can write a letter to the police chief and ask for the restriction to be lifted. About 8 weeks later, you go down to the police station and trade in the old restricted LTC for an unrestricted one. The licenses are issued (and re-issued) at the state level, so there's no reason Braintree couldn't afford you the same courtesy if they wanted to. I'm glad to hear they are no longer issuing restricted licenses, but it makes no sense why they would punish existing law-abiding permit holders.

Yes, this is just Braintree being a PITA. The way it works here in Newton is that after you've had your restricted LTC for one year, you can write a letter to the police chief and ask for the restriction to be lifted. About 8 weeks later, you go down to the police station and trade in the old restricted LTC for an unrestricted one. The licenses are issued (and re-issued) at the state level, so there's no reason Braintree couldn't afford you the same courtesy if they wanted to. I'm glad to hear they are no longer issuing restricted licenses, but it makes no sense why they would punish existing law-abiding permit holders.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I think we should take the "green town moving forward" with a grain of salt. I suspect it might be the LO's way of shooing me away in a way to not ask again.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I think we should take the "green town moving forward" with a grain of salt. I suspect it might be the LO's way of shooing me away in a way to not ask again.
Just maybe he doesn't want the workload of changing probably 1000 restricted LTCs that they have issued over the past 6 yrs? Do it for one and you must do it for all and they read forums like this, so they know that they will get inundated if one or two people report that they got their restrictions lifted.

Just maybe he doesn't want the workload of changing probably 1000 restricted LTCs that they have issued over the past 6 yrs? Do it for one and you must do it for all and they read forums like this, so they know that they will get inundated if one or two people report that they got their restrictions lifted.
That may certainly be the case, and I do hope that they've become "green" moving forward. My comment was just to note that my conversation with them of no longer issuing restrictions shouldn't be taken as gospel until evidence surfaces with some stats (as you've mentioned to me previously). Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom