• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question for Motorcycle Riders

some of the older bikes out of adjustment would stall at a light if left to idle. but if its not an older bike they are being a douch bag.

I understand downshifting/engine braking, and a little twist of the the throttle. And I love listening to sound of the Harley engines. But how about the tool-bag that rev's to 6000rpm at 530am in his Japanese Bike in a densely populated residential area?

Just when down shifting, slight blip of throttle to use engine braking. Gets the engine up to speed to engage the clutch with less wear. At a light, yeah for old pans or knuckles, but newer twins, not necessary.

I understand downshifting/engine braking, and a little twist of the the throttle. And I love listening to sound of the Harley engines. But how about the tool-bag that rev's to 6000rpm at 530am in his Japanese Bike in a densely populated residential area?

That would probably be a "squid." And that's all I'm going to say on the matter.

But how about the tool-bag that rev's to 6000rpm at 530am in his Japanese Bike in a densely populated residential area?

He's nowhere near redline, and is riding quite considerately?

600rr202.jpg

A$$holes are A$$holes, in my case, its my lovely neighbor up he street that leaves promptly at 0530 every morning on his rat job bobber sporting these ridiculous apes, ripping and burping at a stupid speed down a 15mph quiet residential street. If I won the lottery, I'd buy the houses next to his, and rent them out to section 8, and roll coal in front of his house at 0300 e v e r y d a y

Seriously, the dude rides around with his head on a swivel to see whos looking at him. if hes cruising by, and you step outside, hes sure to wrap it out cause he thinks he has an audience. When he introduced himself, he was like, "yea, I'm the guy with the choppa" with this greyed out meth smile.

some of the older bikes out of adjustment would stall at a light if left to idle. but if its not an older bike they are being a douch bag.

Even some of the modern bikes will lean stall when coming to a stop if you're not careful. The KTM 690 is one of them.

Ah, No they can't

Well, maybe not a sub liter bike or an inline 4, but my Harley sure engine brakes hard, I usually only have to use my actual brake to complete the stop after a series of downshifts, even in traffic. Granted I tap on the brake to light up my taillight, but I don't usually apply it until the end.

-chris

Most people are just idiots and do it because they want attention. Yes I ride and no I don't rev at old ladys like a guy I know.

Most people are just idiots and do it because they want attention. Yes I ride and no I don't rev at old ladys like a guy I know.

What, you don't want to try grandma's cookies? [laugh]

The only people I feel the urge to hit the throttle near are very slow drivers (like say doing 35 in a 50 or how they'll shoot up to 60, 61ish, then drop down to 45 on a highway) or golfers.

It IS necessary on old, carb operated harleys with low engine idle. It is just attention whoring for anyone else.

Slowing down though? I blip the throttle to match engine/road speed so the downshift is smooth. Downshift on a sportbike when you're too hot and the rear will will lock. Not much of an issue with a good slipper clutch.

Plus, we like the sounds of our bikes and **** you if you don't. Put a helmet on if you can't leave your house without whining about everything.

Wasn't implying right or wrong in regards to RPMs, just that it's not accurate to say "high RPMs" and "cruiser" in the same sentence. It would be like saying "oh yeah, .45ACP is a really hot round!" Some people want to hear the whine of a high RPM engine, other people want torque.

My Diavel puts out more torque than any Harley and at least 2x the horsepower in a 1200 cc engine. Some people want torque and power/high rpms. Harley's the only manufacturer that hasn't yet figured out you can actually have both.

A$$holes are A$$holes, in my case, its my lovely neighbor up he street that leaves promptly at 0530 every morning on his rat job bobber sporting these ridiculous apes, ripping and burping at a stupid speed down a 15mph quiet residential street. If I won the lottery, I'd buy the houses next to his, and rent them out to section 8, and roll coal in front of his house at 0300 e v e r y d a y

Seriously, the dude rides around with his head on a swivel to see whos looking at him. if hes cruising by, and you step outside, hes sure to wrap it out cause he thinks he has an audience. When he introduced himself, he was like, "yea, I'm the guy with the choppa" with this greyed out meth smile.

Yeah, that's the trouble with Navy housing...

My Diavel puts out more torque than any Harley and at least 2x the horsepower in a 1200 cc engine. Some people want torque and power/high rpms. Harley's the only manufacturer that hasn't yet figured out you can actually have both.

Harley... is Harley. It's like comparing a .45ACP 1911 to a Beretta PX4 in .40S&W. One is lighter and shoots a faster cartridge and has a bigger magazine, the other is the pinnacle of 1890s and 1900s (i.e. before 1910) technology. However the 1911 outsells the PX4 in huge amounts.

It IS necessary on old, carb operated harleys with low engine idle. It is just attention whoring for anyone else.

Slowing down though? I blip the throttle to match engine/road speed so the downshift is smooth. Downshift on a sportbike when you're too hot and the rear will will lock. Not much of an issue with a good slipper clutch.

Plus, we like the sounds of our bikes and **** you if you don't. Put a helmet on if you can't leave your house without whining about everything.

I have a carbed Harley and don't need to rev. If you don't know how to tune a carb then you'll have to keep it alive.

Harley... is Harley. It's like comparing a .45ACP 1911 to a Beretta PX4 in .40S&W. One is lighter and shoots a faster cartridge and has a bigger magazine, the other is the pinnacle of 1890s and 1900s (i.e. before 1910) technology. However the 1911 outsells the PX4 in huge amounts.

I know I know...But when I see someone say "some people want torque" impying sportbikes don't have it and harleys do, it's kind of silly. Harley's claimed torque #s go to shit on a dyno. Of course dyno #s are lower as both torque and power are lower at the wheel than the crank, but every other manufacturer can put out decent torque AND HP, at the wheel. Harley's claimed 100ft-lbs turn into 80 or less at the wheel with what?, 60 ponies? one a 1800 CC engine [rofl] Meanwhile some 600cc jap bike is putting out 50+ft lbs and 100hp at the wheel. On a liter bike you're looking at close to 90 ft lbs of torque and well over 100 ponies at the wheel.

I think a lot of Harley people try to justify their bikes lack or performance by saying, oh it's heavy, oh it's about torque anyway even thought torque numbers are still pretty sad.

I agree though it's a shitty comparison and I do like Harleys but I cringe every time I hear someone try to say they have a lot of torque. Just call it what it is, a chill ,easy to ride, fun cruiser. That's it. They have no torque or power, especially given their 800lb weight. they're minivans. If you like riding cruisers because you think you like "torque" you're kidding yourself. You like riding cruisers because they're easy and relaxed.

the ironhead I ride is a complete dragrace bike 0-100 in 3 seconds and the 1 mile is like 10 seconds flat....

but really the bike is so underpowered its comical. I called my buddy who tinkers with AMF period Harleys and I thought the mixture was finiky or the ignition was messed up. He laughed and said it was the revlimiter. I will most likely never win a drag race against 60% of the cars made today. But I won't race it, it doesn't go over 75MPH, that 4 speed is happy at 55-65mph. It shakes like crazy and every few rides I need to check all nuts and bolts. Its maintenance heavy keeping the valves adjusted twice a season, and the S&S shorty needs a hot jet tune for mid summer and a fall tune when its below 50* outside. Its been touched by so many mechanics but it has so much character. I love riding it, I wouldn't think of getting another bike unless it had a passenger seat.
No way in hell is this bike fast the tq numbers are low but it is a lot of fun to ride. I got it off of a NES member absolutely love it

the ironhead I ride is a complete dragrace bike 0-100 in 3 seconds and the 1 mile is like 10 seconds flat....

but really the bike is so underpowered its comical. I called my buddy who tinkers with AMF period Harleys and I thought the mixture was finiky or the ignition was messed up. He laughed and said it was the revlimiter. I will most likely never win a drag race against 60% of the cars made today. But I won't race it, it doesn't go over 75MPH, that 4 speed is happy at 55-65mph. It shakes like crazy and every few rides I need to check all nuts and bolts. Its maintenance heavy keeping the valves adjusted twice a season, and the S&S shorty needs a hot jet tune for mid summer and a fall tune when its below 50* outside. Its been touched by so many mechanics but it has so much character. I love riding it, I wouldn't think of getting another bike unless it had a passenger seat.
No way in hell is this bike fast the tq numbers are low but it is a lot of fun to ride. I got it off of a NES member absolutely love it

Did I read this wrong or did you just claim your harley does 1 mile in 10 seconds and 0-100 in 3? [rofl]

So, A priest, a transvestite and partial birth abortion walk into bar.

Oh wait my bad, they walked into this thread. [shocked]

Back
Top Bottom