• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question for Motorcycle Riders

hos.jpg

I've never owned a bike so I figured I'd ask...
How necessary is it to continuously rev the engine as you are slowing down, and sitting at a stop sign?

Very necessary. And by your question, I can see it works. We have no airbags or seatbelt. And we have to make sure we are heard, as well as seen.

It's absolutely more necessary than 80 percent of the car drivers who have their heads down looking at their *%$# cell phone while driving

Since I have never ridden, this never crossed my mind.
Very necessary. And by your question, I can see it works. We have no airbags or seatbelt. And we have to make sure we are heard, as well as seen.

It's absolutely more necessary than 80 percent of the car drivers who have their heads down looking at their *%$# cell phone while driving

lol rev matching as we call it (majority of the riders who do rev at stop lights, etc dont even know why they are doing it its just to be "cool") is used to match engine speed with wheel speed and avoid either overrevving or having big RPM sudden changes that can be catastrophic for the motor.
it is almost 100% unnecessary to do on street bikes at speed limit speeds.
If you are using engine braking on purpose I suggest you stop that immediately. Brake pads are significantly cheaper than blown motors.
As far as Harleys, no comment. I dont understand them, never have, most likely never will.

I don't do it much while stopped but while downshifting I do. After driving tractor trailers for years (18 spds,13 spds,10 spds etc etc. I got used to floating (shifting up and down without the clutch) if you are "floating" it is necessary to rev to get the rpms right to shift without clutch.

I have a carb so when the bike is still warming up Ill check to make sure it wont stall as Im easing off the enricher at a light.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

the ironhead I ride is a complete dragrace bike 0-100 in 3 seconds and the 1 mile is like 10 seconds flat....

but really the bike is so underpowered its comical. I called my buddy who tinkers with AMF period Harleys and I thought the mixture was finiky or the ignition was messed up. He laughed and said it was the revlimiter. I will most likely never win a drag race against 60% of the cars made today. But I won't race it, it doesn't go over 75MPH, that 4 speed is happy at 55-65mph. It shakes like crazy and every few rides I need to check all nuts and bolts. Its maintenance heavy keeping the valves adjusted twice a season, and the S&S shorty needs a hot jet tune for mid summer and a fall tune when its below 50* outside. Its been touched by so many mechanics but it has so much character. I love riding it, I wouldn't think of getting another bike unless it had a passenger seat.
No way in hell is this bike fast the tq numbers are low but it is a lot of fun to ride. I got it off of a NES member absolutely love it

Never heard of a stock Harley with a rev limiter. They don't need one. Harleys can produce low oil pressure at idle due to the design of the oiling system, but revving the motor is not the solution. Setting the idle speed at 800 to 1000 rpm is the recommended solution.

No..they haven't.... do some research on 1200 fuel injected sportster rocker box gaskets....they love to leak. I did mine at 3k miles.

I have owned several Harleys and built an couple of customs but never found oil leaks to be a problem. I think this reputation dates back to the older models which used engine oil to lubricate the chains via a drip system which was run off of the engine breather. In my 52 big twin (74 cubic in) oil from the breather dripped on to the primary chain and then made its way to the drive chain, actually a simple way to keep the chains oiled. Since this was a total loss system the oil would drip off of the chains giving the appearance of oil leaks. An improperly adjusted chain oiler could make a real mess of the bike.

Depends on the fuel in your bike and how long the bike sits before you ride it. Even premium has crap in it that shuts the bike down if you don't keep it reved. Fresh fuel and it's not so bad.

You should take your bike to a good wrench and have it looked at. If it's doing what you describe it's broke. Unless your gas tank is half full of gas and half of water what you describe just plain and simple will not happen.

R

As far as Harleys, no comment. I dont understand them, never have, most likely never will.

I've been riding 34 years. 78 Kz650, in line 4, 4 synced carbs. 85 Honda Nighthawk S, 700cc in line 4. 82 v45 Magna, v4. 85 Kawasaki GPz 750 turbo, fuel injected in line 4, stock 112 horsepower, sub-11 second 1/4 miles, stupid fast, topped out 165+ mph.

Now I ride an 04 Harley SuperGlide/FXD. $4k+ in the motor, dynos 95hp. Different bikes, different times, different reasons.

I like loud because it's LOUD. And it annoys the piss out of soccer mom's and minivan dads. IDGAF what "you" ride or why, nor do I give a solitary hair off a rats ass what "you" think about me or my ride:) Somebody said earlier in this thread that it's like AK/AR, Glock/1911, 9mm/.45 debates. Yup :)

There's a saying... "if I have to explain you wouldn't understand..."

Never heard of a stock Harley with a rev limiter. They don't need one. Harleys can produce low oil pressure at idle due to the design of the oiling system, but revving the motor is not the solution. Setting the idle speed at 800 to 1000 rpm is the recommended solution.

"Never heard of a stock Harley with a rev limiter."
Check again. The stock ignition cuts out at 5200 on the Evolution aka "blockhead" motor, (produced from 1984 to 200?). I don't know about the Twin-Cam motor so won't speak to that.

Same here. Blipping the throttle makes for smooth downshifts.
What is this, eight, maybe nine pages and nobody has mentioned the REAL reason Harleys use engine braking to slow down.

When the old lady is riding b***h, it vibrates the seat like crazy, resulting in a very amiable evening.

Sent from my chimney using smoke signals

Yep, TC's have rev limiter. I've hit mine when stock (5600 rpm), but now that I've tuned it it has been moved up slightly (6200).
Squids are faster, with more hp and torque, but I always ask them to race for pinks, from here to Florida, whoever gets there first wins. Guarantee my "road sofa" will get me there first, versus their torture device they have to get off of every 100 miles, lol.

I know this a dumb troll thread, but I'll bite anyway.
I had a shovel stroker with an S&S carb ,no accelerator pump .
jetted heavy for top end ,and it will load up at idle .

so there ya have it.
but you want South Park , so have fun.

A$$holes are A$$holes, in my case, its my lovely neighbor up he street that leaves promptly at 0530 every morning on his rat job bobber sporting these ridiculous apes, ripping and burping at a stupid speed down a 15mph quiet residential street.
I learned how to solve this from the guy who ran Freeman Cycle in Beverly.

You stop him and ask him, "Can you take it easy? The baby is sleeping." Funny thing is no one asks if you really have a baby, or even if you are married. To be mean to babies is a violation of the "Biker Code."

There was a guy who rode through our neighborhood every morning with open pipes, between 4:32 and 4:37 every morning. I was waiting for him one morning.

"Could you please take it easy? You wake up my kids every morning."
"Seriously?"
"Do you think I'd be out in the street barefoot at 4:33 in the morning if you didn't?"
"Sorry man."

Yep, TC's have rev limiter. I've hit mine when stock (5600 rpm), but now that I've tuned it it has been moved up slightly (6200).
Squids are faster, with more hp and torque, but I always ask them to race for pinks, from here to Florida, whoever gets there first wins. Guarantee my "road sofa" will get me there first, versus their torture device they have to get off of every 100 miles, lol.

News to me and I still don't think they're really necessary. Never owned an Evo and don't ride my TC all that much. Most of my bike building was done with sixties or older HDs.

Well, maybe not a sub liter bike or an inline 4, but my Harley sure engine brakes hard, I usually only have to use my actual brake to complete the stop after a series of downshifts, even in traffic. Granted I tap on the brake to light up my taillight, but I don't usually apply it until the end.

-chris
This is only a thing in the HD community. Back when they had drum brakes that were kind of grabby, using the rear brake was a more stable and added braking power. In addition, a long wheelbase touring bike does not have the kind of weight transfer that a shorter, sportier bike does. In addition the choppers and springers often had a tiny front contact patch and many didn't have a front brake at all.

At the Lee Parks TC ARC, Lee Parks took a Triumph and did three stops in a row from 30mph. He was able to brake so hard that the rear wheel came off the ground. He controlled it perfectly so that it stayed about a foot off the ground until he was almost stopped. "When you can brake so hard with the front that the rear wheel is off he ground, why do you need the back brake at all? Focus on controlling the front."

There's a second reason that applies to all bikes with any appreciable braking power. When you clamp down on a bike with a front disk brake, there is a lot of weight transfer forward. This reduces the normal force on the rear tire as you are applying more pressure to it. At maximum braking, the wheel is likely to lock up. If the bike isn't perfectly straight and upright, when the front suspension begins to rebound the rear wheel locks up and zing! - high side (i.e. you get spit over the bike).

There are some times to use a rear brake. It can reduce stopping distance, racers can minimize wear and loads on their front, if you are going downhill or on soft surfaces you don't want to add braking loads to the front etc, etc. My last two road bikes have ABS and that keeps you out of trouble even if you are a clod. So practicing with both makes sense, but in the end the front is supplying 70% of the braking power for most modern bikes.

Many high performance bikes come with "slipper" clutches so they don't have to be so finicky with revs.

Last edited:
//Squids are faster, with more hp and torque, but I always ask them to race for pinks, from here to Florida, whoever gets there first wins. Guarantee my "road sofa" will get me there first, versus their torture device they have to get off of every 100 miles, lol.
And here's an example of why HD riders are so special.

My V-Strom would go 230 to 300 miles on a tank. It had a windshield, hand guards, heated grips, and 6" of suspension travel. Sport touring tires were terrific in rain and lasted over 8,000 miles. In Germany they typically ride them on the autobahn at 130-140 kph (80-87mph) because mpg goes down so fast at speeds higher than that the cost is more and they have to stop more often.

If you look at the Iron Butt riders, the most popular bike is the Honda ST1300. The most popular brand is probably BMW. Other liter plus sports tourers like the Kawasaki Concours and Yamaha FJR also have number.

Harley?
3) The most surprising thing for me, however, is that out of the 100 or so different bikes there was not one Harley....Not a one. I would have expected to see their Ultra's and other touring models. It seems around here on the streets of every day life Harleys out number metric bikes by a large margin, however, not for long distance competition rides it appears. I'm not bashing just was surprised.
If someone wants to ride HD because of their image, more power to you: I knew the Roadster was the slowest road bike I've ever owned when I bought it. And their touring bikes are very competitive with the other heavyweights. But speed is best left out of the equation.

Last edited:
And here's an example of why HD riders are so special.

My V-Strom would go 230 to 300 miles on a tank. It had a windshield, hand guards, heated grips, and 6" of suspension travel. Sport touring tires were terrific in rain and lasted over 8,000 miles. In Germany they typically ride them on the autobahn at 130-140 kph (80-87mph) because mpg goes down so fast at speeds higher than that the cost is more and they have to stop more often.

If you look at the Iron Butt riders, the most popular bike is the Honda ST1300. The most popular brand is probably BMW. Other liter plus sports tourers like the Kawasaki Concours and Yamaha FJR also have number.

Harley?If someone wants to ride HD because of their image, more power to you: I knew the Roadster was the slowest road bike I've ever owned when I bought it. And their touring bikes are very competitive with the other heavyweights. But speed is best left out of the equation.

Image was maybe 10% of why I bought a harley (I don't own a single item of "Harley" clothing and I don't dress like a biker). I think its a good looking bike, its solid, its simple. I like the idea of an air-cooled, carbed, 2 cylinder bike with a gear driven cam.

The part of the name I like is the history. Quintessential American bike. I love the new indians though, if I were in the market for a new bike I'd get an Indian Springfield or Chief Vintage.

Mike

Image was maybe 10% of why I bought a harley (I don't own a single item of "Harley" clothing and I don't dress like a biker). I think its a good looking bike, its solid, its simple. I like the idea of an air-cooled, carbed, 2 cylinder bike with a gear driven cam.

The part of the name I like is the history. Quintessential American bike. I love the new indians though, if I were in the market for a new bike I'd get an Indian Springfield or Chief Vintage.

Mike

The funny thing is, the real quality American bikes were the Indians. Indians always lead the way in technology. Burt Munro rode an Indian. Also, when was the last time a Harley (not a Buell, a real Harley) won a race? Not talking flat track, I mean like World Superbike, MotoGP, Motocross, Supercross, Hare Scrambles, Enduros, etc. On any given Sunday in New England, you'll see KTMs and Huskys winning NETRA races. Go to a Motocross or Supercross and it's KTMs, Huskys and the four Jap companies. Watch MotoGP or World Superbike.

Harleys were chosen to be our military bike in WW2 because they were cheaper. Yet these days, the things cost $18,000 for a nice model.

Harley has been taking foreign parts and making "American" bikes for way too long. Look at their attempt to get into Motocross, the 1978 Harley MX250. It had an Aermacchi 2-stroke engine and a frame from Champion. They made a whopping total of 65 bikes.

http://motocrossactionmag.com/news/classic-motocross-iron-1975-harley-davidson-mx-250

The other problem with Harley is that they're so full of "history" that they can't or won't move into the 21st Century. Does Harley make anything besides gigantic, overweight cruisers? Nope. Not one supermoto, not one dirtbike, not one sportbike (no more Buell) and not one ADV bike. And because Indian/Victory position themselves as "better at being a cruiser than Harley", those two companies also don't get into other bikes.

I see more Harley bumper stickers and truck tow hitch covers and clothing than I do actual Harleys. Like Thomas Paine said, "sunshine patriots."

Back
Top Bottom