Question for Motorcycle Riders

I only do it because my passenger likes it. [laugh]

Biker-bitch_zpsakh9xixx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

What no doggles?

I'm sure they're fine machines, that's not what I'm saying. They're just not Indians. That brand is dead.

I think it's kind of cool that Polaris is trying to resurrect the brand and keeping true to the styling, but there' still not Indians. They're just Polaris bikes with fancy fenders. That said, Polaris makes a fine bike.

Except...clearly, the brand *isn't* dead. If anything it's thriving...for the first time in a long time.

Is your opinion based on the fact that there is no longer a company named Hendee Manufacturing Company operating in Springfield making the bikes. If so, then... I guess...

Except...clearly, the brand *isn't* dead. If anything it's thriving...for the first time in a long time.

Is your opinion based on the fact that there is no longer a company named Hendee Manufacturing Company operating in Springfield making the bikes. If so, then... I guess...

I believe that's his point. Harley has been operating in Milwaukee since 1903. The current Indian has nothing to do with the City of Springfield, the old Indian factory, or the museum of motorcycles in Springfield.

Otoh they are ground up American made bikes taking heavy design and styling cues from the Indians of past and using the name.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

except the real brand died in 1953 and another company is just making Elizabeth Warrens (<- get it? fake indians [rofl]...I crack me up)

Companies change ownership all the time. It's that the brand was dead for 60 years and now someone's producing brand new motorcycles and calling them Indians.

Last edited:
I believe that's his point. Harley has been operating in Milwaukee since 1903. The current Indian has nothing to do with the City of Springfield, the old Indian factory, or the museum of motorcycles in Springfield.

This, but even more it's the 60+ year hiatus. the Indian company went bankrupt and stopped producing bikes. Stick a fork in it, done.

If Indians had been producing bikes for the last 60 years and then got bought out by another company (particularly if the new company let them operate fairly independently) it would be different, IMO.

I'm not shitting on the Indians, they look quite nice. But I just don't agree they're actually Indian motorcycles. I could almost even see myself on a cheiftain dark horse or whatever the blacked out bagger is called.

If Harley goes out of business for 60 years and then along comes some other company who buys the name for pennies on the dollar and starts making "harleys" again, you won't hear me defending them as real harleys.

This, but even more it's the 60+ year hiatus. the Indian company went bankrupt and stopped producing bikes. Stick a fork in it, done.

If Indians had been producing bikes for the last 60 years and then got bought out by another company (particularly if the new company let them operate fairly independently) it would be different, IMO.

I'm not shitting on the Indians, they look quite nice. But I just don't agree they're actually Indian motorcycles. I could almost even see myself on a cheiftain dark horse or whatever the blacked out bagger is called.

If Harley goes out of business for 60 years and then along comes some other company who buys the name for pennies on the dollar and starts making "harleys" again, you won't hear me defending them as real harleys.

To be fair we can apply the same concept to quite a few gun companies. What about the Sharps reproduction companies? The Italian repro companies that make muzzleloaders, lever rifles, coach guns and revolvers? The current Henry company has diddly-poo to do with the original Henry company. The Stevens brand is still being milked as Savage's low cost alternative, which they've been doing since the 1930s.

The bikes (and guns) are what they are. They're companies that own the rights to old names and that are making new products using styling or design cues from old bikes or guns. The current Browning Auto 5 has no mechanical similarities to JMB's Auto 5. It just shares the humpback receiver.

Personally, it doesn't bug me. The more companies there are that are making money, the more successful the market and our economy is.

To be fair we can apply the same concept to quite a few gun companies. What about the Sharps reproduction companies? The Italian repro companies that make muzzleloaders, lever rifles, coach guns and revolvers? The current Henry company has diddly-poo to do with the original Henry company. The Stevens brand is still being milked as Savage's low cost alternative, which they've been doing since the 1930s.

The bikes (and guns) are what they are. They're companies that own the rights to old names and that are making new products using styling or design cues from old bikes or guns. The current Browning Auto 5 has no mechanical similarities to JMB's Auto 5. It just shares the humpback receiver.

Personally, it doesn't bug me. The more companies there are that are making money, the more successful the market and our economy is.

True you make some good points. I think the best thing about it is there's finally some domestic competition to Harley. The MoCo will HAVE to start innovating if they want to stay in business.

I kind of like some of the Indian models but at this point they feel a bit inauthentic to me. 10 years or so from now when I'm likely to be looking at baggers again, if the Indians are still around I see no reason why I wouldn't consider them.

How so? They bought the brand, they built bikes from the ground up (in the US) with hardcore styling and design cues taken from the originals. The last reboot of indian that used the S&S engines I'd agree with you on... I just really like these and I think they feel pretty authentic (for what they are). And I ride of a softail and my wife has a sportster. If I were in the market for a new bike 99% chance I'd be going Indian.

Mike

Are Harleys still Harleys since AMF bought them? A rose by another name?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Harley was purchased via a management led employee buy out in the 80s.

- - - Updated - - -

Again, when carbed bikes are warming up and you are adjusting the choke/enrichener at a light you can blip the throttle to make sure it won't stall.

Mike

You're kidding right? I've only ridden carbureted bikes. If it takes more than 3 minutes for the bike to go fully off choke then you have a carburetion problem. Most likely the idle circuit is clogged with crap, requiring you to leave the choke on a bit.

Someone mentioned a quick blip to ease the bike into neutral. Great point. But that's a few blips, maybe while tapping down through the gears and then gently feeling for neutral. Not the 5000 rpm Whoo paahhhh that the Squids do at stop lights on their fuel injected rice/pasta rockets that will idle happily all day long.

Harley was purchased via a management led employee buy out in the 80s.

- - - Updated - - -

You're kidding right? I've only ridden carbureted bikes. If it takes more than 3 minutes for the bike to go fully off choke then you have a carburetion problem. Most likely the idle circuit is clogged with crap, requiring you to leave the choke on a bit.

Sounds about right.

Then maybe I do. If it's in the 30s when I leave it takes my bike about 5 mins to warm up. If I start it, and leave within a minute or so, I leave the enrichener open until it doesn't sputter or stall under load by checking it whenever I stop.

Mike

Are Harleys still Harleys since AMF bought them? A rose by another name?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

The AMF years (Adios MF) were a real disaster. The Motor Company was bought back by the HD family and stock holders so I would say that there is continuity here.

Someone mentioned a quick blip to ease the bike into neutral. Great point. But that's a few blips, maybe while tapping down through the gears and then gently feeling for neutral. Not the 5000 rpm Whoo paahhhh that the Squids do at stop lights on their fuel injected rice/pasta rockets that will idle happily all day long.

I was just describing my normal riding habits that involve blipping the throttle for a good reason, but also done because I like that eighty year old sound. Its a little show I put on for myself and I try not to impose it on anyone else.

what's a pasta rocket?

Very necessary,otherwise how are people going to notice your Harley at stop lights ?

You need to watch the bathroom scene in the Southpark episode titled "Fags",explains it better .

That is my favorite South Park episode. Spot on!

Ducati/Aprilia is my guess

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

yeah....usually don't hear people use derogatory names for high end Italian bikes. Making fun of rice rockets usually coincides with 20 something year old squids who can only afford cheap, abeit fast, jap bikes.

Back
Top Bottom