Question for mini 14 owners

I have five of the Ruger 10 round magazines and had some problems with one of the mags. The metal right above the hole that locks the mag into place is bent inward toward the follower, just enough to cause the tip of the rounds to scrape the metal and jam. I figured I would disassemble the mag and take some needle nose pliers to it.

Here's my dilemma. I can't for the life of me figure out how to disassemble the mag. The video on the Ruger site seems to be for the 5 round mags, which have a plastic baseplate with a little hole to stick a punch in like most mags. The 10 round mags are made differently, though, and I can't find any info online about taking them apart.

I can still work on bending the metal without disassembly, but now I want to know how to do it, in case I also need to smooth out the front of the follower as well.

Anyone?

I have five of the Ruger 10 round magazines and had some problems with one of the mags. The metal right above the hole that locks the mag into place is bent inward toward the follower, just enough to cause the tip of the rounds to scrape the metal and jam. I figured I would disassemble the mag and take some needle nose pliers to it.

Here's my dilemma. I can't for the life of me figure out how to disassemble the mag. The video on the Ruger site seems to be for the 5 round mags, which have a plastic baseplate with a little hole to stick a punch in like most mags. The 10 round mags are made differently, though, and I can't find any info online about taking them apart.

I can still work on bending the metal without disassembly, but now I want to know how to do it, in case I also need to smooth out the front of the follower as well.

Anyone?
About 14:30 here

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome. Thanks, babygorilla!

Ruger must have come up with the worst possible way to disassemble a mag. Prying metal just seems like a bad idea.

I appreciate the response.

Back
Top Bottom