Question for CT LEO's

To all you CT LEO's (ones working in the Farmington Valley area would be even better):

What is your department's procedure for responding to calls from a security company saying an alarm has gone off at someone's residence and the home owner has failed to answer their calls? When you get to the house do you guys knock/ring the bell first? Or do you just open the door and walk right in? Also, do you proceed as if any person you should come across is a potential threat until their identity and status as a resident of the house is established?

Didn't mean for it to come off as trolling, my bad. I can delete the thread if people are really put off by it.
The background info:
The alarm went off at my parents' house at about 6:00am I was the only person who woke up, didn't know the little password for when ADT called so they sent the police to the house. Didn't hear knocking or the bell ring, but did hear the two officers talking to each other in the kitchen. I went down to the kitchen said all of two or three words to the officers and they just sort of left. I wasn't exactly sure how to feel about that, and just wanted to know how these sorts of things are usually handled. I guess I've just let the media influence me to think that police in the house usually ends in shouting and a big confrontation and a shirtless man in cuffs in the back of a squad car.

I can tell you that the policy is probably different from town to town. I know for a fact that LEOs get annoyed about alarm calls when they turn out to be accidental. If they found a door open after getting an alarm call, that would be justification for them to enter a property and make sure everything was ok. If the doors are locked, they will probably just walk around the house and leave after. Some people give the police keys to their house in case this happens. I would not advise it, but if you want to, it's your call.

If you really want an answer you could try masscops.com (AKA: Ma**h***s.com) but expect to get 10 vulgar insults for every constructive answer.

Back
Top Bottom