• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question for anyone with experience refinishing misulp rifles.

I am in the process of refinishing a 91/30. I have stripped and cleaned the stock but it still remains somewhat blotchy, stained and darker in some areas. I want to lighten it up to allow a lighter colored stain. I plan on sanding in increments but the question is, has anyone had experience using oxy-clean or bleach or anything similar? If so please share.

I have done quite a few rifles before but this one in particular is giving me a hard time.

Thanks

Watch out with wood bleach, you can bleach out the woods patina and be left with a lifeless piece of wood. You can also try oxalic acid and hot water.

I am in the process of refinishing a 91/30. I have stripped and cleaned the stock but it still remains somewhat blotchy, stained and darker in some areas. I want to lighten it up to allow a lighter colored stain. I plan on sanding in increments but the question is, has anyone had experience using oxy-clean or bleach or anything similar? If so please share.

I have done quite a few rifles before but this one in particular is giving me a hard time.

Thanks

I've used Klean-Strip 2 part wood bleach on AK furniture and was satisfied with the results.

If you go that route, wear gloves as it's pretty nasty stuff on bare skin (ask me how I know).

I'm not certain that it will cure the blotchy problem though.

It could be deeply embedded cosmoline, and if it's actually the wood itself, you'll just end up with lighter blotches.

Back
Top Bottom