• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question for Ammo Storage

Let me run a hypothetical question by you guys. Let's say someone had a good amount of ammo and wanted to keep it in a locked storage container, preferably one that would minimize corrosion. Surplus ammo cans are too small (would need to many) and the same with the Winchester wood ammo boxes. What would you guys think of an Army footlocker? It would be large enough for this hypothetical ammo, but what about reducing corrosion? Any thoughts or other suggestions would be appreciated by my friend.

I use a reinforced polymer military tack box (like a footlocker) for 'bulk' storage and an Pelican case for transportable quantities.

The Pelican box is stocked to be my 'bug out' ammo. The unit is the type that has wheels and a pull handle.

It has padded dividers that I use to separate calibers and, like all Pelican cases, it has a pressure valve to equalize in and out pressures.

Both boxes have double padlock capabilities and I also cable look them to immovable objects.

I got a bunch of 40mm practice ammo cans from Big Catalogue outfit these cans full off anything but 22lr ammo and i can hardly lift it. They are 24"long about 8-10" wide and
12" tall (approx) I like good zip bags vac if you want, fog iside of full bag with a one step lube like Hornady's if you really worry about corrosion. Just my imaginary opinion
Tank

i save all the silica gel packets that come in boxes of merchandise (electronics, shoes, etc...) dry them out in the oven, and throw them in my ammo cans.

we're ordering some stuff at work, so if you want me to save the silica packs, let me know.

if you are really concerned about corrosion. vacuum pack the ammo then you can put it anywhere you'd like.
Good idea! I have one of these. Never thought of it. I could stick a desiccant bag in it too.

Well, I think I'm going for the footlocker, then putting silica packs inside. The one I'm looking at is typical footlocker size, made from solid wood (they claim), with brass reinforcements on the corners and wheels. Does $100 sound like a fair price for that?

Well, I think I'm going for the footlocker, then putting silica packs inside. The one I'm looking at is typical footlocker size, made from solid wood (they claim), with brass reinforcements on the corners and wheels. Does $100 sound like a fair price for that?

Wood "breathes" and will pass moisture thru it. If you put dessicant inside - you will dry out the air inside the box - until the dessicant becomes saturated, and then - because you have created "dry" air inside the wooden box - the moisture from the outside air will migrate thru the wood and you will once again have some amount of moisture inside the footlocker.

Wood is not a good material if you are trying to make some moisture proof.

If you want something footlocker sized try Home Depot or Lowes for one of those jobber boxes (also called site boxes) . They are made out of steel with all sides welded. I have left mine outside in all sorts of weather and the tools inside stay dry. If you are worried about moisture migration though you would probably want to put a weatherstrip around the top cover - and make sure any other holes in the outside shell are sealed over somehow. They do make these boxes in a footlocker size.

Ammo cans can't be beat. I use the 50 cans and the SAW cans - if you pack up a SAW can with a bunch of bricks of 22LR the thing is plenty heavy. Put in a few dessicant packs and the ammo is good for a LONG time. Plus individual ammo cans can be moved quickly by one person without repacking if there ever is a SHTF situation. If you have to get out of dodge with a footlocker sized anything full of ammo you are going to move it with anyshort of a pallet jack or forklift.

I wanted the ammo cans, but the surplus store said there are no locks on them, which I need to be "compliant"

Then use ammo cans. Put locks on them. It's not a difficult process. There's a thread around here somewhere about adding a hitch pin to standard ammo cans and running a lock through that. I'll edit this post if I can find it.

edit: Found it, "clicky" here

Keep in mind: the lock isn't for security, it's for show. How ridiculous is it that you need to lock up your ammo at home? This state blows.

Last edited:
Then use ammo cans. Put locks on them. It's not a difficult process. There's a thread around here somewhere about adding a hitch pin to standard ammo cans and running a lock through that. I'll edit this post if I can find it.

edit: Found it, "clicky" here

Keep in mind: the lock isn't for security, it's for show. How ridiculous is it that you need to lock up your ammo at home? This state blows.

Thanks for the info Jeep. Yes, this state blows chunks.....and Chunks isn't happy about it!

This. Get a Foodsaver machine.

Ive used a vac .packer for loose ammo and I had trouble with the tips of the bullets poking a hole in the bag.
I now put 210 rounds in a 8x12 bag and only partially vac. all the air out.
This method contains the rounds enough so they are not loose but wont poke through the bag and seals the bag enough so I dont have to worry about intrusion of outside air.
I wouldnt put any sort of lube in a vac bag. I would worry about the vacuum in the bag pulling the lube into the primers and rendering them inert.

I have a Jobsite box in the basement on 4"x4" rails to keep it off the floor. Inside is ammo and 2 dessicant boxes. Currently there is approximetly 12000 rds of ammo and plenty of room for more. If I need to move ammo for range fun, it's in 50 cal boxes. These jobsite boxes can be bought used for a hundred bucks or so, just look through the classifieds.

I have a jobsite box that i don't use anymore, the rough dimensions are 4'w X 3'h X 2'd. I dont need to get rid of it but, if someone has a need for it i would be willing to part with it for a fair price. It has 2 covered locking points built in that protect against someone with bolt cutters. A simple weather stripping could be applied to help seal out moisture as mentioned in a previous post.PM me if anyone would be interested. This was a box that was used in in the back of my truck for tool storage so it could use some spraypaint but still is in good condition.

Go on Craigslist and look for used locking file cabinets. You can get them really cheap.

Then go here and buy fifteen .30 cal ammo cans for $70 - they fit perfectly in the drawers.

Your ammo will stay dry in the cans, and the locking file cabinet keeps it secure and easy to access (it beats pawing around in a footlocker).

Does ammo in your home really need to be "locked up"? I was talking to a fellow club member last week (who loads huge ammounts of ammo) about this and he said there are no State or Federal laws or regulations requiring ammo to be kept in a locked container inside your home. I keep mine locked up anyway, but for someone with a large amount of ammo and no means to keep it all locked up, is that ok or what?

Does ammo in your home really need to be "locked up"? I was talking to a fellow club member last week (who loads huge ammounts of ammo) about this and he said there are no State or Federal laws or regulations requiring ammo to be kept in a locked container inside your home. I keep mine locked up anyway, but for someone with a large amount of ammo and no means to keep it all locked up, is that ok or what?

I've asked that several times on NES and everyone has said ammo needs to be locked.

527 CMR 13.04 e
"small arms ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black powder shall be stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use."

I've asked that several times on NES and everyone has said ammo needs to be locked.

Yes.

527 CMR 13.04 (1) (e)
Exempt quantities of small arms ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black powder shall be stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet, or box when not in use.

Lock your ammo up, why? because it is the smart thing to do. It shouldn't take a law to do the smart/common sense things in life.

So if I live alone, should I be required to lock it up as prescribed in those MGLs? How about if I have a gun room? That isn't a closet, a box or a cabinet. What happens if I have a detached garage where I lock it up in there? No access but to me? Legislating common sense is a bad thing. Punish those who fail to use common sense instead.

Go on Craigslist and look for used locking file cabinets. You can get them really cheap.

Then go here and buy fifteen .30 cal ammo cans for $70 - they fit perfectly in the drawers.

Your ammo will stay dry in the cans, and the locking file cabinet keeps it secure and easy to access (it beats pawing around in a footlocker).

This is what I do, the cabinets will hold .50 cans as well. I also have the locks that someone linked earlier, if you search around you can find them for less than half the price than that link.

So if I live alone, should I be required to lock it up as prescribed in those MGLs? How about if I have a gun room? That isn't a closet, a box or a cabinet. What happens if I have a detached garage where I lock it up in there? No access but to me? Legislating common sense is a bad thing. Punish those who fail to use common sense instead.

I hear you, but to 'punish those who fail to use common sense' there has to be a statute or regulation that was violated (doesn't there?).

I hear you, but to 'punish those who fail to use common sense' there has to be a statute or regulation that was violated (doesn't there?).

There's plenty already, and more could be made where the state makes you susceptible to crimes if your actions are contributory, and on top of that there are civil remedies to boot.

I have a jobsite box that i don't use anymore, the rough dimensions are 4'w X 3'h X 2'd. I dont need to get rid of it but, if someone has a need for it i would be willing to part with it for a fair price. It has 2 covered locking points built in that protect against someone with bolt cutters. A simple weather stripping could be applied to help seal out moisture as mentioned in a previous post.PM me if anyone would be interested. This was a box that was used in in the back of my truck for tool storage so it could use some spraypaint but still is in good condition.
I use a Greenlee jobsite box the same size as yours as my small arms locker (I am a low-budget operator and can't afford a safe [smile]). I modified the inside to hold my rifle, shotgun, air pistol, ammo and personal papers. I have also found that large plastic food-storage containers from WalMart or Market Basket make excellent ammo storage containers. Their plastic construction makes them lightweight and inexpensive, as well as air-tight and waterproof.

Back
Top Bottom