• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question for a friend...

richc

NES Member
A fella I know moved here from a different state about ten years ago. He brought with him half a dozen firearms, but nothing that is on the AWB or is high capacity. A 1911, a few revolvers and a couple of .22 rifles.

He allegedly kept the firearms in a safe in his house in MA but just never got around to getting a license. He got his license about 6 months ago.

Right now he's concerned about those firearms being in MA for this long while he did not have a license. He's concerned because if he should use one of them in protecting his home from a burglar it could become evident he may have had those guns in MA without a license for so many years. Yeah, he's using an abundance of caution... but that's just who he is.

What is the legal status of guns he allegedly had in his possession all this time without a license? What say you NES braintrust? If the bad stuff happens what would his risk factors be?

thx

Rich

If he moved here over ten years ago is it still legal/allowable for him to transfer his firearms property in state now? Is there a limit on when firearms from out of state can be moved in?

That's one question.

They might have been at a friend's house in his previous state and he just brought them here last week.

How would we know??????

If he moved here over ten years ago is it still legal/allowable for him to transfer his firearms property in state now? Is there a limit on when firearms from out of state can be moved in?

That's one question.
He brought them in less than 7 days ago. Up to DA to prove otherwise.

I would tell him to just stop worrying about it, and that he can't unring the bell. The most important thing is he got his license. How the guns got in his house doesn't matter
much. If he's had the guns for a long ass time the statute of limitations on registering/reporting transfers has expired, too. (it's like 6 yrs IIRC).

-Mike

I would tell him to just stop worrying about it, and that he can't unring the bell. The most important thing is he got his license. How the guns got in his house doesn't matter
much. If he's had the guns for a long ass time the statute of limitations on registering/reporting transfers has expired, too. (it's like 6 yrs IIRC).

-Mike
This too. Best part about old stripped lowers.

Well, I'll chime in because why not?

First: why is he all of a sudden worried about protecting his house? Did his neighborhood go in the shitter recently? Would he have *not* used his guns to protect himself before he was licensed? Second: Eh... just buy a new one with his shiny new license for home defense maybe?

-chris

Everything said here is correct.

If he is worried, he should go out and buy a defense weapon and use that.

What is the legal status of guns he allegedly had in his possession all this time without a license? What say you NES braintrust? If the bad stuff happens what would his risk factors be?

thx

Rich

Clearly the guns are undocumented illegal immigrants and must be deported.

Lots of good answers and advice above.

Bob

A fella I know moved here from a different state about ten years ago. He brought with him half a dozen firearms,

I think you mean he brought in 5 firearms...[smile]

I was being interviewed by a LEO officer many years ago in an unrelated matter. He said, “I’m going to ask you three questions, and the answer to all three is ‘yes’” YMMV

Anyone who has bothered to send in the money and paperwork to see what firearms the state thinks you own will understand the database is so inaccurate as to be worthless, and the people who administer the database will never be held accountable.

Back
Top Bottom