• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question: 'best' AR 15 (223/556) Magazines?

PeterC

NES Member
Hi All,

Having just moved to NH (from MA) am looking at accumulating (now wonderfully 'legal' !) new 20 round mags or my AR's. So looking for recomendations both on best brand and location/site...
Thoughts ?

Thanks !

Peter

Hi All,

Having just moved to NH (from MA) am looking at accumulating (now wonderfully 'legal' !) new 20 round mags or my AR's. So looking for recomendations both on best brand and location/site...
Thoughts ?

Thanks !

Peter
Enjoy your freedom!

I have a mix of PMAGs, Okay Industries and D&H. All have been good to go.
I have some others (USGI surplus, Colts, Thermold, etc.) but not practical at the prices usually.

FN all metal mags are the best. After that I like the Lancer mags and Surefeed. Surefeed for 300BLK is best. Then all the plastic crap like pmags.

I actually prefer 20-rounders. 30's hang down too low when e.g. shooting from a benchrest.

They also seem to have an innate power over the shooter which forces him or her to do wasteful mag dumps.

Edit to say one of the first things I bought here in NC is a 30-round PMag. Nuf Ced.

Last edited:
Strongly suggest you check out Lancer mags. I've had better reliability with them, probably due to the steel feed lips. Almost as light as a P-mag and most are see-through, so no disadvantage. So far no hiccups in rapid fire stages of competition, which is when problems always occur. 😀

Pmags are not only the standard, but they are dead-nuts reliable and more durable than metal mags. I like the Gen3 window versions so I can see how many rounds are left.

I actually prefer 20-rounders. 30's hang down too low when e.g. shooting from a benchrest.

They also seem to have an innate power over the shooter which forces him or her to do wasteful mag dumps.

Edit to say one of the first things I bought here in NC is a 30-round PMag. Nuf Ced.

mag dump wasteful??? How dare you??? Lol

Pmags are not only the standard, but they are dead-nuts reliable and more durable than metal mags. I like the Gen3 window versions so I can see how many rounds are left.

The standard for what? They are a reliable and reasonably cheap mag, what standard is that?

The standard for what? They are a reliable and reasonably cheap mag, what standard is that?

Good enough for the Marines. Good enough for me.

The Army apparently *should* have gone to them too, but didn't (?):

The U.S. Army Aberdeen Test Center's 2015 Final Report for the M855A1 Conformance Testing on Commercial Magazines shows the PMAG Gen M3 performed better than the nine other commercial magazines, as well as the service's Enhanced Performance Magazine and its previously issued magazine.
Since then, the Marine Corps, U.S. Special Operations Command and the Air Force have selected the Magpul Gen M3 PMAG, an improved version of a combat-proven 30-round 5.56mm magazine that has been in use since 2009.
But instead of following its fellow services, the Army remains wedded to its Enhanced Performance Magazine.

If you LMGTFY you'll find many similar threads on similar discussion boards.

Seek and yee shall find.

Last edited:
No suggestion on the mags, but welcome to a fellow PRMA escapee.

Good enough for the Marines. Good enough for me.

I love the Marines, I don't trust the people in power who supply them to think that's that is a good litmus test of quality.

Just get 10 rounders for the bench , im still using all preban mags, some updated followers some not.
Enjoy buy a few different ones and report on the ones thar suck and the ones that dont.

Back
Top Bottom