• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question About Trigger Pull Weight On M&P 380 EZ

yanici

NES Member
Did S&W put a heavy trigger on the M&P Shield 380 EZ sold here in MA? I know I had to put an APEX kit in my 9mm Shield when I got it. A couple of ladies I know are intererested in the 380 EZ. Thanks for any input.

Did S&W put a heavy trigger on the M&P Shield 380 EZ sold here in MA? I know I had to put an APEX kit in my 9mm Shield when I got it. A couple of ladies I know are intererested in the 380 EZ. Thanks for any input.
There are like three safeties on the EZ, there's no need. The one I shot had a normal enough trigger, and I think it was unmodified.

I don't think so but check the skus, if there's an MA sku for that gun that means its f***ed up, but i doubt there is because it has single stack mags and a safety. You probably won't be able to get the no safety version though.

hELL FROZE OVER. Not only is the no thumb safety 380 EZ on the Approved Firearms Roster but there really is only one SKU for the 380 EZ. Now if little Miss Maura keeps her fingers to herself we will be A-OK.

Unfortunately, I don't think S&W has gotten any wiser, at least on this account. Striker actions are technically "double action" so Smith makes them over 10 pounds as if they were more like double action revolvers. The 380 EZ is single action with an internal hammer, so 1911 rules.

The grip safety is sufficient, IMHO.

There's no MA version of the 380 EZ. The trigger is pretty good, maybe about 5 pounds. My wife has one. I actually like the gun a lot.
I concur, my wife has one bought in free America and it is very pleasant to shoot. Just wish I could get big happy sticks for it....

Well, looks like S&W finally wised up. Thanks for the replies. I'll pass it along.
You'll still want to have a potential buyer try it out. I took my wife to the range to try one out. I waited and waited for the first shot. I looked over to see if the safety was still on. With her arthritic hands, she wasn't able to squeeze the grip safety, so even that didn't work for her.

You'll still want to have a potential buyer try it out. I took my wife to the range to try one out. I waited and waited for the first shot. I looked over to see if the safety was still on. With her arthritic hands, she wasn't able to squeeze the grip safety, so even that didn't work for her.
This was one of my fears (as a designer) when they announced the grip safety as part of the package

Now for the semi-thread-drift. I've already advised against the 380 EZ because of the problem that it has with stovepiping the last round in the mag as a live round. I've been checking around and this problem is still prevalent. S&W never came up with a real cure. The mags or mag springs seem to be the problem. I'd never recommend a faulty gun for a self defense choice. A guy did a non-scientific poll on another forum and his results came in at 67% of owners did not have the problem. Who knows how many rounds they had shot or if their mag springs got a chance to lose some tensile strength. Just too chancey to trust your life to this pistol.

I have a performance center 380EZ
The trigger is relatively good - much better than the OEM M&P trigger but not quite the full Apex kit.
No comparison to my Kimber 1911.

I'm a member at Taunton if anyone wanted to try it one out.

Now for the semi-thread-drift. I've already advised against the 380 EZ because of the problem that it has with stovepiping the last round in the mag as a live round. I've been checking around and this problem is still prevalent. S&W never came up with a real cure. The mags or mag springs seem to be the problem. I'd never recommend a faulty gun for a self defense choice. A guy did a non-scientific poll on another forum and his results came in at 67% of owners did not have the problem. Who knows how many rounds they had shot or if their mag springs got a chance to lose some tensile strength. Just too chancey to trust your life to this pistol.

I have not had any stovepipe issues at all but dont have a large number of rounds through the gun.
Do you know the approx round count where this shows up?

I have let several new shooters try it out and it does have an increased tendancy for fail to feed when limp wristed on range ammo - completely operator induced. I would need to load up some max loads to test out the issue on more aggressive loads

Pastera, I have no first hand knowledge about this problem with the stovepiping. If you Google it you can find a plethora of info on it. Just watch Hickcock's you-tube video of the gun and you'll see what the problem is. He thought it was just weak mag springs but who knows. If it was just that the fix would have been in by now.

Last edited:
Action timing must be very tricky with the EZ due to the light recoil spring (so that it is "EZ" to rack). Wonder if they also had to lighten the extractor spring to match?

Seen it once or twice in 600-700 rounds, early on. From what I understand it’s always the last round if and when it happens. Good argument against using it as a duty gun. For self-defense I don’t think it’s prohibitive. Anybody using this gun is likely to do a mag dump. If that doesn’t resolve the situation, that last round of 380ACP probably isn’t going to make any difference.

Old thread but wanted to mention the stovepipe's issue.

Bought my 380 Shield EZ used in December, then heard about the stovepipe issues. First time shooting at the range (new shooter too) and the very first mag, ONE stovepipe using one of the original mags. Rest of the session shooting another 72 rounds no issues. Since then I've run almost 300 rounds through it using five different mag's. Zero issues. Maybe not a huge sampling but I've shot five different kinds of ammo through it some FMJ some HP as well.

Some threads I had read mentioned it might be poor grip causing the issues. I think that might have some merit considering my experience so far.

No issues with the grip safety, I kind of like the thumb safety. Conceal carry one in the chamber with confidence. I'd recommend this to anyone, it's fun to shoot and is easy to learn with so far.

Back
Top Bottom