Question about trigger in the new T/CR22

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
I have an old 10/22 which I had the trigger pack upgraded with Volquartzen parts and some custom work. The trigger is really nice. If I got a TCR22, could I just drop the whole 10/22 trigger assembly into a new T/CR22 if I didn't like the factory trigger on it?

It may fill the footprint and pin lineup but it is different from the T/Cr22 Fire Control Group. You may need to attempt fitting and cycling the action. And you will lose the Last Round Bolt Hold Open feature. T/Cr22 trigger is very sweet. I think you won't need the pricey upgrade...

Last edited:
I found the TCR22 trigger is noticeably better than a factory Ruger 10/22 trigger, but not as good a the customized 10/22 trigger I had gotten done.

So I did end up swapping in the customized trigger pack from my 10/22. It works fine in the T/CR22.

However, I figured I'd also try to put the Tcr22 trigger pack into the old factory Ruger stock, but the stock would need a little slot filed for the bolt hold open widget on the Thompson trigger assembly.

I found the TCR22 trigger is noticeably better than a factory Ruger 10/22 trigger, but not as good a the customized 10/22 trigger I had gotten done.

So I did end up swapping in the customized trigger pack from my 10/22. It works fine in the T/CR22.

However, I figured I'd also try to put the Tcr22 trigger pack into the old factory Ruger stock, but the stock would need a little slot filed for the bolt hold open widget on the Thompson trigger assembly.

Hi, I recently got a new TCR22 and looking to upgrade the trigger a bit, may I ask what custom trigger you put in the TCR22?

Hi, I recently got a new TCR22 and looking to upgrade the trigger a bit, may I ask what custom trigger you put in the TCR22?
He took his 10/22 trigger group with mods and Volquartzen trigger group parts and installed it in the TC22.
You can replace the trigger return spring on the TC22 for a quick 2ish lb reduction in pull weight.
Im sure those who do trigger work on 10/22 triggers can do the TC22 trigget pack. Im curious to know how much plastic is in the TC trigger pack.
Im sure by now most trigger mods are out on rimfirecentral.com

I know this is a little off topic, but I ran into the tandemkross guys at an event this weekend and they wanted to see if their fireswitch mag release worked in the T/C R22 and it does. the thing is pretty sweet. I also had them put the captive trigger pins and a toolless disassembly screw into mine while they were inside it.

Hi all. I am accustomed to pretty nice triggers (on my CZ's, etc). I bought the TCR22 to add a semi auto to my collection and to shoot a 5 steel gong timed game. I find the trigger creepy and mushy and the break is unpredictable for me. ( I ride the reset shooting at speed - this trigger not good for that) So, being lazy I ordered a Ruger BX group. It goes in fine but the bolt release becomes inoperable. Anyone got a trick to make it work???

Hi all. I am accustomed to pretty nice triggers (on my CZ's, etc). I bought the TCR22 to add a semi auto to my collection and to shoot a 5 steel gong timed game. I find the trigger creepy and mushy and the break is unpredictable for me. ( I ride the reset shooting at speed - this trigger not good for that) So, being lazy I ordered a Ruger BX group. It goes in fine but the bolt release becomes inoperable. Anyone got a trick to make it work???
Your issue aside..... Do you think or feel the BX trigger group is better than the stock TC group?

Your issue aside..... Do you think or feel the BX trigger group is better than the stock TC group?
I can only operate the BX in the clever packaging it came in that allows you to test the feel - it is definitely a lighter pull to a more crisp break - but - appears it won't work in my TCR22. Still waiting for any fix that might come along before I return it to GrabAGun.

I can only operate the BX in the clever packaging it came in that allows you to test the feel - it is definitely a lighter pull to a more crisp break - but - appears it won't work in my TCR22. Still waiting for any fix that might come along before I return it to GrabAGun.
Try replacing the trigger plunger spring in the TC trigger group.

Call brimstonegunsmithing.com. They are known for their 10/22 trigger work. I have not used them, but they have a very good reputation. Since you only need to ship the trigger group, the hassles of shipping a firearm are not required.
It is not listed on their website, but some other forums say that they have an $80 trigger job they can do on the TCR trigger group.

Google also has a few other threads on the TCR triggers. Some people have reported acceptable results just from changing inexpensive springs.

Call brimstonegunsmithing.com. They are known for their 10/22 trigger work. I have not used them, but they have a very good reputation. Since you only need to ship the trigger group, the hassles of shipping a firearm are not required.
It is not listed on their website, but some other forums say that they have an $80 trigger job they can do on the TCR trigger group.

Google also has a few other threads on the TCR triggers. Some people have reported acceptable results just from changing inexpensive springs.
Funny you think by now there would be more videos or info showing tcr22 trigger mods and how to get the bx and other 10\22 trigger up grades to function 100%
I know they are very close in design but enough little things as to keep 10/22 and TCr22s from having complete interchange with out problems.
Theres also a lot of plastic and cast parts that are not exaclty highly finished pieces

Thanks much - that is beginning to sound like the answer - will report - All Best
i have not been able to get a TC22 trigger group apart yet or one side by side with a ruger.
My friend scored a tcr22 last year on sale and TC had a rebate. Its a ok gun for the price. Trigger pull on his was a touch over 6lbs and feels like.......well plastic.
The plastic trigger is pretty sloppy through the pin.
He tore his down and cleaned it up. Polished all the metal parts and cleaned up the plastic pieces best he could.
He says there was a lot of flashing and mold marks with a good sknot on the trigger itself. Along with the trigger return plunger and plunger recess he cleaned up then installed a spring kit. Hes not very mechanically inclined and he pulled it off.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4SRuf9x51U

i have not seen him since to put the trigger pull gauge on it.
He is not a "nice" trigger type of guy and only owns the tc22, 870 and a 38spl revolver. So he has little to compare to but he says its much better now.

Keep us posted

I have an old 10/22 which I had the trigger pack upgraded with Volquartzen parts and some custom work. The trigger is really nice. If I got a TCR22, could I just drop the whole 10/22 trigger assembly into a new T/CR22 if I didn't like the factory trigger on it?
I doubt it will work. I bought a Ruger BX trigger group and tried to make it work for my TCR22. It goes in fine but the bolt will not function due to the design difference that allows for last shot hold open available with the TCR when using TCR facrory mags. I am going to lighten a couple springs and polish activating surfaces of sear and hammer to get a lighter and smoother pull.

I doubt it will work. I bought a Ruger BX trigger group and tried to make it work for my TCR22. It goes in fine but the bolt will not function due to the design difference that allows for last shot hold open available with the TCR when using TCR facrory mags. I am going to lighten a couple springs and polish activating surfaces of sear and hammer to get a lighter and smoother pull.
It did work for me with a vanilla factory trigger group (that had been upgraded with VQ parts)... Maybe the BX has some different parts protruding than the standard trigger group?

A few days after the above post a friend who is an NRA instructor and does his own gunsmithing tried my TCR22 and said the trigger group should not have left the factory the way it was. He said to send it back to Thompson / S&W. I contacted them and promptly got a paid Fedex label in my email. I sent the trigger group only with a note about the mushy unpredictable nature of it. 2 weeks later it was returned to me noting - "Evaluate / Replace Hammer, Sear & Trigger"
The trigger now has a very nice 2 stage pull with short predictable take up to a crisp break. Good customer service and much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom