Question about traveling with a gun...

So I'm going up to Maine for a few nights next week. Now I know it's totally illegal to carry handgun through NH and into Maine but is it against the law to have my gun in the hotel room? Could I just drive up with it locked up? Any insight would be awesome.

Last edited:
First of all, who said that it is "totally illegal" to carry your gun through New Hampshire?

Are you talking about a handgun or a long gun?

Do you have a Mass License to Carry?

Regardless of answers to the above questions, there are no licenses to possess firearms in either NH or Maine. That means that you can keep whatever gun you want handy with you in your hotel room.

Like Jose said. Just don't CCW with them. NH and Maine are easy and fast to get CCW licenses fwiw... but not by next week. [wink]

Is there no reciprocity between Mass and NH or Maine????

Even if there isn't, it is legal in both states to openly carry a handgun so long as you are not operating a motor vehicle.

You also do not need ANY kind of licenses to go to a shooting range or to just plink in the National Forest.

Getcha some taste of freedom.

Is there no reciprocity between Mass and NH or Maine????
Reciprocity? Bwahahahah! Sorry Jose, but I couldn't help it. Why would anyone want to share with Messachusetts?
Even if there isn't, it is legal in both states to openly carry a handgun so long as you are not operating a motor vehicle.
That's right. If a hand gun's not properly stored for transport it's considered concealed carry. Check here http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws/ for details on the state laws including transportation requirements. I use a small handgun safe going through NH; long guns are in locked cases.

I should have said

it is legal in both states to openly carry a handgun WITHOUT A CONCEALED HANDGUN LICENSE so long as you are not operating a motor vehicle

I don't even think that NH cares about transport in a vehicle
as long as the gun is unloaded. Keep it unloaded and out of
sight and that will probably be more than enough.

(Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I see nothing in NH RSA's
that regulates unloaded transport/storage. )

Would also be interesting to know what Maine's standpoint is on the
same, but I have not studied their laws to the same degree.

((Edit: And yes, I am aware of the FOPA requirements, but FOPA is
basically pointless to reference in a free state that has laws which
are less strict... )

-Mike

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses. Would it be considered locked if I have my gun in a case with a trigger lock on it?

Maybe you should not rely on the advice of perfect strangers to keep you out of jail. Maybe some DIY research on NH gun laws would be a good idea.

I'd start with the websites of handgunlaw.us, the New Hampshire State Police, and the New Hampshire Attorney General.

If you are legal in your state and legal at your destination (MA and ME) you are free to cross NH on an interstate without running afoul of their gun laws. Just keep the guns locked in the trunk.

No. It must be in a locked case, and you don't need a trigger lock.
He never mentioned where he intended to carry them, but legally they only need to be in a locked case if the vechicle doesn't have "a compartment separate from the driver's compartment." In either case, no trigger lock is required.

Concealed Cavet

If your going Plinking in a State Forest or any other woodsland or field during hunting season (Which is year round for various Critters) you are automaticly considered by the Game Wardens to be hunting.[wink]

Mere Possession of fishing tackle Rod & Reel or firearms/bows is prima facta evidence of the intent to take Game. [grin]

You MUST Have a Hunting LIcence![smile]

If you do not you will be arrested, fined and your equipment impounded. possibly even your vechical[shocked][shocked][shocked]

Capt Walt

Master Maine Guide

If your going Plinking in a State Forest or any other woodsland or field during hunting season (Which is year round for various Critters) you are automaticly considered by the Game Wardens to be hunting.[wink]

Mere Possession of fishing tackle Rod & Reel or firearms/bows is prima facta evidence of the intent to take Game. [grin]

You MUST Have a Hunting LIcence![smile]

If you do not you will be arrested, fined and your equipment impounded. possibly even your vechical[shocked][shocked][shocked]

Capt Walt

Master Maine Guide
That is a huge, stinking crock of shit.

Back
Top Bottom