Question about transporting

Ok I searched and read and cannot find a clear cut answer. When traveling to the range if I have my gun's locked with trigger locks or cables in the trunk and ammo also locked in the trunk is that good to go or do I need to strap one of them to the roof or inside the engine bay or something crazy? Also I have an SUV with no trunk how does that work? I figure as long as the guns are locked then it shouldn't matter right? But then again the people writing this stuff is like those spyware uninstall questions "Are you sure you want to not to uninstall this?"

But then again the people writing this stuff is like those spyware uninstall questions "Are you sure you want to not to uninstall this?"

lol, it's exactly like that

firearm must be unloaded and locked in case to transport. trunk counts as case. SUV without trunk requires case that can be locked--what constitutes a case is vague, but soft case (like a suitcase) seems to count but not a paper bag. Ammo you can transport however you like as long as it's not in firearm but I'd keep it out of sight to avoid inquiry.

handguns may be carried loaded under your direct control if licensed appropriately

storage laws are different: must prohibit use, that's when you can use the trigger locks and store loaded, although perfectly legal, trigger locks and loaded is a bad idea

Welcome to the forum

Nando:

It depends on what you're transporting - different guns have different requirements.

If a handgun ("firearm" in MGL-speak) it must be under your direct control (Class A), or locked in a secure container (Class B)
If it's a hi-cap longarm, it must be in a locked container, unloaded.
If it's a non-hi-cap longarm, it must be unloaded. Locks and cases are not required.

The above being said.....most here consider it prudent to have any gun not under your direct control (basically, on your person) to have your stuff unloaded and locked in a box or case. John Law may not be up on the subtleties of mass gun laws, and the side of the road is not the best venue for a discussion.

Oh, toss a blanket over the stuff, and put a tennis racket or lawn chair on top, for camouflage. Don't want anyone traumatized by seeing a gun-case-shaped-object.....[rolleyes]

Nando:

It depends on what you're transporting - different guns have different requirements.

If a handgun ("firearm" in MGL-speak) it must be under your direct control (Class A), or locked in a secure container (Class B)
If it's a hi-cap longarm, it must be in a locked container, unloaded.
If it's a non-hi-cap longarm, it must be unloaded. Locks and cases are not required.

The above being said.....most here consider it prudent to have any gun not under your direct control (basically, on your person) to have your stuff unloaded and locked in a box or case. John Law may not be up on the subtleties of mass gun laws, and the side of the road is not the best venue for a discussion.

Oh, toss a blanket over the stuff, and put a tennis racket or lawn chair on top, for camouflage. Don't want anyone traumatized by seeing a gun-case-shaped-object.....[rolleyes]

^ This.

There should be a sticky specifically concerning transportation. These questions seem to come up often (and I'm glad they do because I was unclear on a lot of the specifics as well)

Ok so a trigger lock or cable lock on the gun inside of a case does not count then right?

unloaded in a trunk it's over-kill: trigger lock & case not needed since the trunk acts as the case

unloaded in a SUV it's not good enough, need to lock the case

clear as mud?

It's a silly law. if you can, take the cable lock and wrap it around the handle of the case so it can't open and you're good to go in the SUV

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/education/hed/hed_gun_laws.htm

Last edited:
Ok so a trigger lock or cable lock on the gun inside of a case does not count then right?

Correct. Trigger locks are acceptable for storage, but not for transport.

Storage is addressed in MGL Chapter 140 Section 131L which includes the text:

secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device, properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131l

In contrast, the language in the transportation statute, MGL Chapter 140 Section 131C, is different:

unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131c

While non-large capacity long guns do not have to be locked up while transporting in a vehicle, I recommend that you do so anyway because I doubt your average police officer knows the details of this law.

Back
Top Bottom