• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question about transfer

snowballs

NES Member
Longtime friend of my father owns a firearm that he no longer wants. He let his LTC expire several years ago. Someone told him to bring it to the local police department and turn it in as that would clear his name as the owner. I'm trying to convince him to sell it to me but he seems to think that turning in to the police is the only option. I'm trying to convince him that he can legally sell / transfer to me with no issues. Any advise appreciated.

can't you physically take possession and bring it to an FFL, then have FFL transfer it to you? and you pay him.

if so, the FFL should provide him a bill of sale or receipt indicating they have accepted the firearm so your friend has proof of dispo.

The gentleman can meet you at an FFL with the firearm and a photo ID in his possession. The FFL can then take in the firearm from him, and so long as it does not violate any MA laws for them ("assault weapon", non-EOPS approved handgun, etc.), can then conduct a background check on you and transfer it to you for a fee.

do not involve the police, turning it in will do nothing for him leagally, he be better off smashing the thing into pieces himself

Call him tell him you will come over take possession of the firearm, take him to breakfast and then off to the gun shop, give him a copy of the FA10 you get

Last edited:
You go to him, take him and gun to FFL. FFL transfers gun to you, no laws broken, everyone happy. If he takes the gun to the police (outside of a buyback etc.) he is 1. Breaking the law by transporting a gun without an LTC. 2. Giving the police the evidence that he just broke the law. Of course, since he has an expired LTC, the penalty is minimal even if he did get prosecuted.

Turning into a PD will NOT remove said gun from the FRB database. Even if the PD does as "required" by MGL . . . turn it over the MSP for destruction, there is no link-back to the FRB database.

Transfer at FFL is the only good choice here.

Find out who that someone is and slap them upside the head. If he gives out advice like that, he should shut up.

Last edited:
You go to him, take him and gun to FFL. FFL transfers gun to you, no laws broken, everyone happy. If he takes the gun to the police (outside of a buyback etc.) he is 1. Breaking the law by transporting a gun without an LTC. 2. Giving the police the evidence that he just broke the law. Of course, since he has an expired LTC, the penalty is minimal even if he did get prosecuted.

+1. Best choice. Just to add, I have a buddy that just did something similar with a friend of his that had an expired license. My friend consulted the firearms attorney Richard Chambers and he got to the same answer that the NES braintrust provided here. Take possession of the gun so you don't get in trouble during transport and go to an FFL for transfer.

Back
Top Bottom