• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question about Taurus pistols

I'm finally going to subit my paperwork tomorrow, and I've been eyeing this Taurus pistol. It's a .25ACP with a pretty pink pearl stock. The only question I have is, is it legal?

Last edited:
Do a search under "EOPS list", "approved list", "AG regs" or "Handgun list" and you'll get more info than you know what to do with. Turn on the advanced search function.

And no pistol (with the exception of a select few that violate the pistol portion of the Mass AWB) is illegal in Mass.

Don't know if it's legal, but I do know it's a piece of shit. Save your money and buy a Beretta.

Wasn't one of their semi autos made using the old tooling of the Browning Hi-Power? Think it was a PT99 or PT101? Seemed like a well made and fine shooting piece.

I can't say for sure on that but I have heard it before.My father has a few of their older 1980's guns and their great.Seems like their older stuff was much better.I'm not sure what tooling they use now though but of all the friends I know and myself from experience...it's not good.

I'm finally going to subit my paperwork tomorrow, and I've been eyeing this Taurus pistol. It's a .25ACP with a pretty pink pearl stock. The only question I have is, is it legal?

It's "legal" . . . the only real question is "can I buy it in MA without paying an arm and a leg?"

No Taurus handguns are on the EOPS List. When I spoke with the Taurus National Sales VP (a few years ago) he told me that after their legal team met with the AG's office here, they decided not to bother getting any guns approved for MA. Looks like they are holding to that decision.

If the handgun is in MA currently, you can buy it. Private sales are perfectly OK between LTC holders (both MA Residents). Dealers can't sell a handgun unless it is on the EOPS List and meets the AG Regs. Exceptions are for guns in-state on 10/21/98 . . . only needs to be on EOPS List if made pre-10/21/98 and outside the state.

Much more info in MA Gun Laws forum.

I think the OP's initial post was intended to be a joke.

The rest of you bums totally missed his point.

To answer the OP's question, the Governor and legislative pukes haven't outlawed pink pistols yet, but one day they may.

Join the Gun Owner's Action League (www.goal.com) if you want to save your gunny butt, and preserve your right to own any fashion-challenged gun you want.

I have a baby Browning knock off by Bauer in .25 ACP that I've owned for decades. When I first bought it, it was because it was the only ultra small pistol available. There are several other options these days in .32 and even .380, and if a little bigger isn't a problem, even 9mm or .40 S&W. But I do like the look of that Bauer.

Go bigger

The use of the .25 ACP allows for a very compact lightweight gun, but the cartridge is short ranged with regards to power, and lacks stopping power, putting it in the same class as the .22 LR rimfire cartridge. Although the .22 is slightly more powerful when fired from equal length short barrels, the .25 ACP is viewed by many as a better choice for personal defense due to its more reliable semi-rimmed centerfire case design. Manufacturers have loaded common commercial hollow point bullets to higher velocity than the standard 50 grain FMJ (Full Metal Jacket) load. Both rounds are certainly an effective threat against attackers not armed with a firearm, and a modern loading of 50 grain FMJ twenty-five automatic is quite capable of lethally penetrating a human body. .25 ACP is quite common and is most often used in low-cost, low-quality firearms.

A .25 almost always fires when hit by the firing pin. Rimfires are not nearly as reliable. A .25 isn't much of a cartridge, but it beats the hell out of a plastic comb.

Look at a S&W 642 or 442 for a .38. It is a light as most .25's, the only concealment challenge is the width of the cylinder. It always goes bang when you pull the trigger, and if it doesn't just pull again. Faster reloading than singly can be accomplished with Bianci Speed Strips or a speedloader such as by HKS and unlike auto-loaders there's no slide to rack. It is a much more robust self defense arm than a .22, .25, or even a .380.
JMHO,
mike

Last edited:
I want a .25 ACP because it is small and seems like a good starter gun. I was thinking of a .38 revolver, but haven't found one I like yet.[smile]

If you're talking about a handgun with which to learn how to shoot handguns, I cannot think of a worse choice. I have two Baby Brownings, which were purchased as collector's items, though I've shot both. (Indeed: I've even reloaded .25 ACP, just to see what it was like: tough on the fingers!) .25 autos are impossible to grip, have laughable sights, and are wildly inaccurate.

There is a good deal of truth to the statement that a .25 auto is better than nothing . . . though not by much.

In case you're really not joking...

Check the price of ammo before you buy a .25 and you'll see that a .22, .38, or 9mm is much more economical.

Just for the record, a .25 is a really crappy first gun. They're tiny, hard to aim, and not terribly accurate. It might be the worst defensive caliber ever conceived, and the ammo is also quite expensive.

I've heard a few things about the quality issue. I am still temtped to get one of their "Judge" revolvers. Not for defensive purposes....it just seems such a cool thing to be able to fire .410 shot from a handgun.

I do have to agree with the sentiment that the .25 ACP is a poor choice to learn to shoot with. A .22 is a great gun because it lends itself to inexpensive shooting because this translated into MORE shooting, which if done right, translates into BETTER shooting. I disagree with a .22 as a defense round for reasons stated above.

If you really want a first gun to do some learning with and as a defensive pistol, a 9mm autoloader or .38 revolver are both hard to beat. If you go this way, buy the Taurus because you like it, and when you can afford it, a .22 for practice.

Just remember all the advice you get here is just that, and worth every penny you paid for it. On the other hand, there are words of wisdom here from people who have "seen the elephant."

Look at a S&W 642 or 442 for a .38. It is a light as most .25's, the only concealment challenge is the width of the cylinder. It always goes bang when you pull the trigger, and if it doesn't just pull again. Faster reloading than singly can be accomplished with Bianci Speed Strips or a speedloader such as by HKS and unlike auto-loaders there's no slide to rack. It is a much more robust self defense arm than a .22, .25, or even a .380.
JMHO,
mike
Yea, do your homework on your first gun, the people here know there stuff. I agree with n1heu on the .38 I think you will have fun with it, and so would I [wink]. Listen to your peers, or try something in 9mm I can have fun with that to. [smile] I think I will look funny shooting pretty pink pearl. It dont match my range bag...

Last edited:
Yea, do your homework on your first gun, the people here know there stuff. I agree with n1heu on the .38 I think you will have fun with it, and so would I [wink]. Listen to your peers, or try something in 9mm I can have fun with that to. [smile] I think I will look funny shooting pretty pink pearl. It dont match my range bag...

I think it'd match your range bag perfectly...[smile] I guess I'll have to look around a little more. I'm not too fond of the .22, it reminds me of our pellet gun. I do like the Glock, but it has a little too much kick for a beginner like me.[sad]

If you plan to carry a certain type of gun I would always recommned getting a .22 as similar as possible.
For instance should you like a Walther/SW99 I would say purchase a Walther P-22 also. I stand by revolvers so a S&W .38 J frame like a 642/442 or 36/60 could be matched with a S&W J frame .22 or even a Taurus 94. The barrels can be different lengths as long as the action is the same. And don't cheat yourself by shooting only single action if you carry a double action gun.
You cannot go wrong with a Ruger MKII/III for practice but the controls may be different on a carry gun.
The smaller sized carry guns do not lend themselves to a lot of practice because of ammo cost, excess recoil/noise and the very short sight radius. I also would not carry a gun loaded in public with out being proficient in it's use. The easiest and cheapest way to build marksmanship skill is either a 22 or an airgun. Look around, try some other peoples guns you may know or go to a large shop or show that has different guns.
There is a reason Chevys come in 18 colors. Everyone likes something different.

Back
Top Bottom