question about some dog tags i found at hampton beach.

the morning after doing security at the sand sculptures(6/26) at hampton beach.i decided to take a walk on the beach(seeing that this is the first time in yrs that i've been to the beach).while heading down to the water,i came upon a set of dog tags.only thing is that the last names are the same but the first names are different(male an female names).they also have SSI numbers on them along with religion preference and blood type.(i'm lead to believe they were maybe a couple in the military cause if they were a couple that just had them made up while at the beach,why would they have their SSI numbers put on).each tag was also stamped differently(one has raised letters,other one has sunken letters).

i tried looking up an address for one on the names and it came up the they lived together in nashua.i tried the number but at first it would just ring(no anwser) but when i tried it again today i got that it was disconnected.

my question is-is there a way to find relatives of who these tags belonged too?

the names on the tags are janet and shane beckles.

Last edited:
Rob Boudrie said:
Google for "shane beckles" and try looking him up on classmates.com - both have hits.

just got out of classmates.com,sent him a message about the tags..

now i assume that the reason for two tags on the same chain is that in the event that the soldier is killed in action,that one tag is given to a family member and the other one is buried with the soldier.

now seeing that both tags have the same last and different first names,i hope that i didn't have the pleasure of finding the tags that belonged to a military couple that were both killed in action..
if so [halfmast]

only reason i'm concerned about finding a relative of the owner(s) of the tags is that these tags may have sentimental value.

beretta92d said:
i tried looking up an address for one on the names and it came up the they lived together in nashua.i tried the number but at first it would just ring(no anwser) but when i tried it again today i got that it was disconnected.

Looks as though he already got that, Len. Anyone live in or around Nashua that could swing by? Ooo, what about Nashmack?

Dave,

Maybe. I found a number of addresses for him in Zabasearch. Verizon's are more likely to be current or close to current.

If he has a friend in a PD, perhaps they could check DMV records from tags.

Classmates generates so much garbage Email that most of us never look at what comes from them. So, it's a good try, but I wouldn't bet on ever getting a reply from that, it would be sheer luck.

Perhaps one of our MIL folks (Martlett) could do some checking if these folks were real military, especially if active/reserves/NG and get a message to them?

LenS said:
Perhaps one of our MIL folks (Martlett) could do some checking if these folks were real military, especially if active/reserves/NG and get a message to them?

Excellent idea, Len...We'll find these folks somehow.

LenS said:
If he has a friend in a PD, perhaps they could check DMV records from tags.

yah,both those ideas are good ones.i've thought about going by the address,but i haven't had much free time to adventure out that way..

i suppose i could ask my brother in-law to do a check seeing that he's a army maj.now would someone in the army be able to find info on people from a different branch?

I had two tags but they were always on seperate chains. I was always taught to have one on my neck chain along with my allergy tag (the bright red tag the medic grabs when you go down to see what you're allergic to), the second tag was kept on the inside of my bootlaces, between the laces themselves and the tongue of the boot. We kept that tag there on a short chain so that if we ever stepped on a landmine, got hit with an RPG, etc etc etc the could still identify at least one part of us.

As for the tags themselves, stop by the local recruiting office. They should be able to point ya in the right direction, or get em back to their rightful owner.

Last edited:
I'm an AK, so my dog tags have my service number which isn't in any way related to my social security number. Since they went to SSNs, I suspect that they no longer identify the branch of service as mine do, otherwise one of the younger generation would have pointed it out. Regardless of format, bear in mind that anybody can purchase dog tags with any information on them, so they're not necessarily military.

Ken

"Identification tags"

beretta92d said:
now i assume that the reason for two tags on the same
chain is that in the event that the soldier is killed in action,that one tag is
given to a family member and the other one is buried with the soldier.

Well, not exactly. See here for details (including a discussion of a rather common
myth that most veterans have probably heard):

http://www.qmfound.com/short_history_of_identification_tags.htm

Last edited:
lost dog tags

there is a website that tries to locate the person the dog tags were issued to; i'll try to find it and pass on the website to you..
-rob

This is a little bit off topic, but this is a website put up by a woman who found a lot of dog tags being offered for sale as souvenirs in Vietnam, bought the lot of them and is trying to return them to their owners... or the owners' families.

Oh, yeah... if you click on the links for the story behind the site, have some Kleenex handy.

Ross

Hints...

The raised tags are current production and look like current format so looking for Janet would probably be the way to go. The sunken printing tags maybe are older (help from prior vets, ? Vietnam?) and could be for a relative in past service. I've heard about people wearing their relative's tags for luck, etc. Good luck and I'm sure that they will appreciate your efforts....
SB

Dog tags Found

Im an old vet and still carry a dog tog on my key ring Viet Nam Era tag and
i have it there in case of an acciddent it has my Blood type and Religion
along with my ser# wich Begins with AF 1134xxxx the AF of course is
Branch of service and the first four digits tell what part of the country you
enlisted from! but i think today thay are putting your S/S number on the latest issue type so if it has a AR Army Reserves or RA Reguler Army
CG Coast Guard ETC: and a serial number and Religion and blood type then its Authentic
but some people are makeing them up in Arcades, Amusment parks Etc:
and thay may say whatever thay ask to put on them!!

hope that helps iv been out for a long long time but i do wear my
blue Beret on Veterans Day once a year !

Sheriff Dudley

Dog tags Found

Sound like new issue but i am surprised that thay dont have the branch of service on them!! but like i said iv been out a long time, i tell my grand kids
that when i was in the Air Force all the planes had two wings, one on
top of the plane and one under it. Ha, Ha, i think thay believed me,
but i can still smell that JP-4 comeing out of those B-52s, that real Perfume!!

S.D.

Dog Tags

Thanks for the info Mrs WW like i said iv been out a long time and things
change, i dont remember allergy,s being on tags back in the Day but if it wasn,t it should have!! the only thing i was alergic to was V.C. Rockets

S.D.

It's only been 20+ years for us. [wink] Don't know when they started the red tag, I had to have it and so doesn't son. I'm sure he's allergic to mortars too.

Dog Tags found

Amen on the mortar,s Lets hope all our guys get home in one piece!
its time for the people over there to stand up and take charge of
there own Freedom it aint free but we have shown them enough so
if thay want it let them earn it, without more of our boys geting hurt!!
" just my 2-cents " S.D.

Back
Top Bottom