• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question about scopes

Neptune Cat

NES Member
I see there are scopes made exclusively for .22's and .17's.

My question is, does it matter what scope I put on my .22, or do I need a
scope made for a .22?

How about other calibers?

Obviously, I know nothing at all about scope. I've never owned one unless
you count the red dot on my .22 pistol.

Any help is appreciated.

scope made for a .22?

Any help is appreciated.

Just don't put a .22 scope on your 7mm rem mag!

The ".22" scopes tend to be small; i.e., mere 20mm tubes, and cannot handle much recoil. There is a reason they only cost $20 - 30...

scope made for a .22?

Any help is appreciated.

are you talking about the "sweet 22" scopes? I think theyhave bullet drop "pre calibrated" on the turret. My guess is if it does, you'll never use it.

I opened this topic just to see what folks said. WOW! Nothing like what I would have expected. I guess I feel the need to say a few things. One can best say it is all about price point. Which is all about what you want to accomplish. Buying a Wally World 7/8" scope for $30 will be in my opinion a big disapointment. Of course suggesting one go buy a $900+ Nightforce scope could be overkill. It all depends what you are trying to accomplish.

With that said, there are cheap 7/8" scopes that better come with rings because it is a relatively uncommon diameter. I have an old Weaver D4 next to me and it works but optically it blurs around the edge. With optics, you get what you pay for. My first upscale scope was a Weaver KT-15 which are discontinued but can be purchased on eBay for $125-150. I've owned some China mfg Simmons, Tasco's but they get dark as power goes up. Sightrons are decent. All of these are typically 1" tubes which is VERY common. High end scopes will have 30mm tubes for more light and adjustability but if you are in need of that, well, you know all the above about scopes.

No offense, but as a beginer question, my counsel is tell us what you are trying to accomplish. What is the rifle. Some have 3/8 grooved receiver, some have 11mm which can be vexing. I would hate to have somone put a low dollar scope on a gun and have a bad experience and not fully enjoy the pleasure of putting .22 rounds in one hole at 50 yards. It would be like putting junky speakers on a really nice stereo.

I'll shut up now. Maybe I missed the point of the question. I am a silhouette shooter and optics are VERY helpful in this sport. Junky optics, you'll hate the sport.

Cheers!

I prefer better quality scopes all around for whatever the activity target,hunting etc.
if you do your homework you won't go wrong and you don't have to spend a bundle for a good scope but there is a huge differance in quality in every aspect when it comes to price

Back
Top Bottom