• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question about scopes/rings and learning how to shoot at distance

I agree. But I'm not necessarily in it for the awards. That's not what's driving me. Awards DO make things better.. pretty much always. And I am inclined to compete in pretty much everything. But right now... today.. I am pretty much confident I suck. I am certain I suck.

With very few exceptions we all suck when we start. It's OK, nobody is going to point and laugh or make fun of you (not until we get to know you anyway.) Come shoot, be safe, and have fun. You can't help but get better, especially with so many REALLY good shooters in this area who make it a point to help out the new guys.

Where in Southern Maine are you? Sept. 8th is the Maine State HP champ. Do you have any shooting gear?

B

I am near Kittery in the Berwicks.

I do not have enough gear to shoot a match yet. I have been stressing the budget to pay off some bills, which I just did. I still need a spotting scope and stand, a coat, and a Good leather sling.

Plus I need to load up some match ammo. I may come to watch though, talk to people, and get some info.

[cerberus];2522591 said:
I may come to watch though, talk to people, and get some info.

Come shoot. Someone will lend you a scope when they're in the pits.

A cheap canvas coat and a GI sling will get you started. It's not supposed to be an equipment race.

[cerberus];2522591 said:
I am near Kittery in the Berwicks.

Spotting scope and sling is not a problem. Do you have a rifle and ammo? I have a cheap cloth coat you could use. What size coat do you wear?

Ever shot HP before? I know you said you shot smallbore in school correct.

B

ive got a spare creedmoor hardback in my truck, size 44. if it fits, you're welcome to use it. Hell, ive got doubles of most of the gear (except the scope and scope stand) that you're welcome to use if you wanna shoot.

Come shoot. Someone will lend you a scope when they're in the pits.

A cheap canvas coat and a GI sling will get you started. It's not supposed to be an equipment race.

Spotting scope and sling is not a problem. Do you have a rifle and ammo? I have a cheap cloth coat you could use. What size coat do you wear?

Ever shot HP before? I know you said you shot smallbore in school correct.

B

ive got a spare creedmoor hardback in my truck, size 44. if it fits, you're welcome to use it. Hell, ive got doubles of most of the gear (except the scope and scope stand) that you're welcome to use if you wanna shoot.

I have a RRA NM that I plan on using for service rifle, but all mu current ammo is just M198 or similar mil spec, which based on my reading will not be so hot for longer ranges. I reload, so it is just a matter of sitting down and putting it all together. I already had a shooting roll, and glove and just got a simple service rifle sling from creedmore.

I was waiting till spring to buy my jacket, because I am a big guy. The goal is to get in better shape before I buy a jacket. It is most likely going to be a high 40s based on my current measurements.

I have shot a single CMP match at the Braintree gun club with my old rifle coach, other then that I have not shot any high power matches. Wind and long range bullet drop are all new to me, but recoil is nothing new.

Back
Top Bottom