Question about reloading 44 special

This may be a really, really dumb question but here goes anyway.

I have been reloading 44 magnum for quite some time. In order to shoot indoors at my club I need to forego magnum loads and move to 44 special. So, I bought some 44 special S&W cases, grabbed the bullets I usually use for 44 mag reloading, Berry 44cal 200 gr FP and sat down to start reloading.

I soon realized that to meet the 1.615" OAL that the bullet was barely pressed into the case. Perhaps just .100". The length of the cases are 1.15"-1.16" and the bullet is 0.57". So the seating depth of the bullet in the case averages about .100".

This just doesn't seem like enough seating depth to get a good crimp on it.

I have looked on the internet last night and coould not find any references to proper bullet seating depth.

Am I just using the wrong type of bullet for a 44 special?

Any thoughts and experience would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading this!

Thanks for the help guys

This makes perfect sense. I just checked Lyman's and see the same thing. Lesson learned .... don't trust a single source. I guess I was getting comfortable and lazy with my old sources so when i load something new now I will check multiple sources.

Thank You!

when i load something new now I will check multiple sources.

That's always a good idea.

If you haven't found it yet, check Hodgdon's online load database: http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Click on the "Print" button after you've selected all the fields, and the resulting pop-up window displays COAL, primer type, etc. Like this:

hodgdon.jpg

Since you're reloading, you have the option of loading a light load using magnum brass.When loading for revolvers, my only concern regarding length, is that they're not too long for the cylinder.

Since you're reloading, you have the option of loading a light load using magnum brass.When loading for revolvers, my only concern regarding length, is that they're not too long for the cylinder.

+1

I am not sure why you bought Special brass and now have to deal with a different COAL......

My volume .44 Magnum reloads are 6.5 grains of Winchester 231 under a 240 grain LSWC. About 780 fps out of a 3" Model 29.

Unless your range has some stupid rule about no magnum cases regardless of what is in them.

Back
Top Bottom